dinner, bath, bed?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

dinner, bath, bed?

Postby habbibu » 02 Sep 2007, 12:57

Just wondering what everyone's night time routines are? This may not seem like a BLW question, but please bear with me. We have dinner at 5 - 5:30, as we're going with the "she eats what we eat" thing, and this is the earliest we can contemplate having dinner ourselves. After dinner, The Nome is, of course, Filthy, and so is slung into the bath. She then gets a bit of a play with some books, breastfeed, story, bed. She's asleep sometime between 7:40 and 8:30 - getting a bit earlier. Her sleep has been utterly Stuffed for some time, mostly due to teeth, but I'm wondering if it's also the routine thing - it seems ridiculous to wipe her clean only to bath her later, but also she just isn't quite ready for bed at 6:30 after bath, and blah blah blah..

So: when do you have your main meal? when's bath? Does anyone give another calorific snack for supper, or just milk? Should add that dinner is usually fairly carby - pasta, potatoes, etc, with yoghurt and fruit for pudding, and she eats Lots. The Nome is 10 1/2 months, by the way (so we fall between the oldies and newies a bit. Seems like she's been eating for Scotland for ages, so we'll go for oldie).
habbibu

Postby Nutmeg » 02 Sep 2007, 13:08

In these parts, the father doesn't get home until pretty late, The bubs usually has a smallish dinner at 6ish. I often steal little bites of food from his tray so we are sharing the meal to some extent. Sometimes we are lucky enough to have daddy share the tail end. If the bubs is going to daycare the next day, he gets a bath (can't have them thinking we are slackers, you know). If he's going to be home the next day, he gets a bath only if he's particularly gross. Daddy takes care of the bath. I usually nurse the bubs after his meal/before his bath and then he goes straight for bed. We aim for a 7:30 bedtime.

While he's getting put to bed, I usually throw together something for the grown-ups for dinner.

In an ideal world we'd be able to have family meals, but my husband will never regularly be home before 6:30 (it happens occasionally, but physicians keep whatever hours they have to keep in order to see all the patients they have to see). I have to admit I'm a tad jealous of people who get to all sit down together.
Nutmeg

Postby *helen.a.* » 02 Sep 2007, 19:05

Im in the same boat as you wee man is 10 months old but going great guns so dont feel right saying we are newbies lol, anyway back to the op, my 2 children eat at any time between 4.30 and 5.30, then wee man is wiped clean or bathed, (I dont bathe them every night as their skin gets dry) then bed at around 6.30 after a booby feed. If he hasnt eaten too much I maybe give him a banana before bed.
*helen.a.*

Postby YUMMYMUMMY » 02 Sep 2007, 19:24

Both my girls eat together at about 5pm as daddy doesnt get home till half 7 unless we are lucky and hes on an early shift where hes home at 5.30, it usually takes an hr to eat and get tidyed away then its straight up for a bath or wash we also dont bath every night due to dry skin, then its booby time and straight down to sleep at 6.30 ish where she generally sleeps till 4am has a feed and back to sleep till 6am ish :D
Yummy mummy to
Matilda my Honey monster 19/06/04
Tabitha my pudding 18/01/07
YUMMYMUMMY

Postby AB&M » 03 Sep 2007, 19:03

I'm a newbie so obviously we're not on the same planet yet but I'm trying to figure out how we can get dinner as a threesome sorted. On non-nursery days that will be fine as Bruno can eat at 5/6pm (although he's often to grouchy) then bath around 6.30pm followed by olive oil massage, bottle & bed. Usually in bed soon after 7pm and asleep by 7.30pm on a good night.

Nursery is going to cause issues for dinner - I'll be picking him up at 6pm so probably have to do a small snack on the assumption they are feeding him...
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Bigpud » 03 Sep 2007, 19:20

We've altered our dinner time from 7pm forward, but back to work today which makes cooking after work when we want to spend time with Pudding difficult as we don't want to fall into the processed food trap! Not sure how this will all work out yet as we tend to go with the flow and establish routines based on her patterns of feed and sleep.

Don't bath her directly after food as she once projectile vommed an entire feed when she had a bath immediately after due to a serious code brown scenario! Don't know if same could happen with solids, but scared to find out!

She often naps for 30 mins before her last feed, and her bath may be before or after this depending on how tired she is. Last feed is usually at 7.15 followed by bed. After first day with childminder she zonked straight out tonight!
Bigpud

Postby AB&M » 03 Sep 2007, 19:22

Do they need hot "cooked" dinner twice a day? Maybe if we do dinner at lunchtime then a cold old-fashioned tea would work after work?

I know there's a difference between childminder & nursery so that may affect things...

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 03 Sep 2007, 20:22

In our breastfeeding group the "R" word is banned! lol They are very AP there!

Our night times are rubbish and I want to try and do something because we've stopped having a night time feed so often the one when we wake up is the only one. :( I know she doesn't need it so much now, but I miss it and I worry cause she will go long periods where she skips solids and doesn't ask for a nurse.

I can't get a lot done because we are having major seperation anxiety problems, so we wait for Tink's Daddy to come home from work before we eat, which is pushing close to her bedtime by the time we sit down. Between 7:30 and 7:45 she is rubbing her eyes and by 8pm she will be asleep. Unfortunately it's usually around the end of the meal and she goes straight to bed from the table. I'm thinking of her having last nights dinner at around 5 or 6, then having some quiet time a book, feed and bed.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby AB&M » 03 Sep 2007, 21:16

Maybe tink would be OK to watch you in the kitchen? Given how small mine is its hard but we just about manage a dog & a baby in the kitchen door.

I'm so not looking forward to the age when separation anxiety hits. It must be really tiring for you.

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

night routine (ish)

Postby Spartacus#1 » 03 Sep 2007, 21:47

bless her cotton socks she's always been an early to bed one. so there's no way on earth we'd have dinner at 5-5.45. she's not really had hot dinner type stuff, just veg and fruit and rice crackers etc more due to busy stuff going on re; her parents getting legal etc. but today she'd half an apricot at 5 ish, then a bottle at 6.20, bath at 6.40 (only a couple of toys and not mad noisy) then half a massage and bed and sleep by 7.05 (only know exactness as was going out and keeping eye on time). but she normally wakes between 11-12 and takes about 5-7 ounces and straight back to sleep until 6-6,30. when she's eating i do tend to sit and either eat a bit of fruit or drink so she's not on her ownsome. x
Spartacus#1

Postby Spartacus#1 » 03 Sep 2007, 21:58

hey Bruno'smum what a fab set of photo's and site, we've been saying we'll set one up to share stuff with family far afield, but have we eck as such, always seems to be another job to do ! you've a very handsome young man there a real sweetie by the looks of it.
Spartacus#1

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 04 Sep 2007, 00:11

That would be great if I could do it with Tink sitting on my lap! The only allowed position for us both is for me to be sitting with her sitting on my lap (I'm not even allowed to lie her on my lap to change her nappy and have to fight her to not sit on my lap when I go to the toilet!)

She is such a happy confident child that it is frustrating that she gets like this. I've been in tears on a regular basis because of it. In some ways a happy child is as hard work as a cryee baby because they need as much attention and when you add in seperation anxiety too...!
TinkerbellesMum

Postby AB&M » 04 Sep 2007, 08:38

[quote="dublin20"]hey Bruno'smum what a fab set of photo's and site, we've been saying we'll set one up to share stuff with family far afield, but have we eck as such, always seems to be another job to do ! you've a very handsome young man there a real sweetie by the looks of it.[/quote]

Thank you! We started the website to tell everyone the wedding plans as they unfolded - in Scotland for a whole weekend so all the invitees had to do some planning themselves. It just snowballed from there really. My mum & SIL loves photos but I don't print many so it seemed the perfect way to a. introduce mum to a computer and b. share the fun.

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby realsLINshady » 04 Sep 2007, 08:45

We have never made any attempt to eat evening meals together as timings just don't allow it. We do, however, always eat lunch as a family at weekends and we will have some fruit or carrots or some kind of snack for us while Small has dinner.

Our entire routine at 13 months (trying to answer two threads in one post - Queen of Lazy is back in town!) :
6:30 Wake & Bottle
7:00 Breakfast
8:30 - Nap (but only at home- nursery is too exciting for sleep)
10:30 - Snack
12:30 Lunch
1:00 - Nap
3:00 - Snack (If at nursery, this can be quite substantial so her supper becomes a more sandwich-based affiar on those days)
5:30 - Supper
6:30 - Bath
6:45 - Bottle
7:00 - Bed
realsLINshady

Postby habbibu » 04 Sep 2007, 09:35

Ah - 6.45 bottle, 7 pm bed. Never did manage to get the Nome onto bottles, so she still has a breastfeed at bedtime and it takes AGES. Not feeling quite so bad about later bedtime now, as it is almost entirely taken up by breastfeeding. But good god, you must all have cleaner children than mine. She is lifted from the high chair straight to the bath, and manages to get me filthy on the stairs on the way up...
habbibu

Next

Return to Random Thoughts