Amber teething necklaces/anklets

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: Amber teething necklaces/anklets

Postby Heidi » 26 Jun 2012, 19:14

We don't co-sleep, but Kiera does pull on it a lot herself. Strangling never occurred to me - surely it would snap? Now I feel awful,, like I am putting her at risk :o
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby Eli » 27 Jun 2012, 06:07

Heidi, they will snap, as I stated further up in my post I have proof.
Eli

Postby Heidi » 27 Jun 2012, 06:20

Thanks Eli, I know that really, it was just a silly wobble last night. I'm definitely not planning on taking Kiera's off (even though she has all of her teeth :oops: )
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby supermansmum » 27 Jun 2012, 06:23

We are big fans here too, ds2 has worn his day and night since about 2 weeks old and teeth came through without a wimped (although he still on,y has 4)

Don't want to hijack but the last few days ds2, who has previously ignored the necklace, keeps putting it in his mouth and chewing it and/or arching his head back so it is pulled tight across his mouth. I just pop it out and distract him, but I'm a bit worried about him doing it in bed. I wondered about putting a knot in so it will be too short, but wonder if this will bother him. Any thoughts?
Mum to two Supermen - Aka D Jan -09 & E March-11
supermansmum

Postby Biddy » 27 Jun 2012, 06:49

I really want to get one of these! When I measure LO's neck, should I be allowing for the thickness of the beads? If so, by how much. If the length of measuring tape is just short enough to not be pulled over LO's chin, is that about right? I'm thinking any more snug and the necklace might be too tight?

Ebay ones are all too big, I need 30cm for A. Little acorns to mighty oaks is the cheapest I can find, can anyone find cheaper? Sorry, another hijack!
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby SnowDrop » 27 Jun 2012, 09:49

Thanks all. Great replies, and Ive ordered one yay!!

VP that's really interesting about amber being good for depression <scurries off to look for an Amber necklace to buy>
My precious babies:
DD born 2009
DS born 2012
SnowDrop

Postby Mum to Eddie » 27 Jun 2012, 16:42

Hi
They are fantastic. Eddie has been wearing his since 4 months and is 8 months now with 3 teeth and no bibs or painkillers.
You can get them from http://www.loveamberx.co.uk
I have taken it off to bath etc and forgot to put it back on, he turned into a monster! lol
He has only had calpol once in 4 months and that was for a cold. Can't remember the last time he had bonjela and we used to go through tubes of it!
Love them. I wear one too. Think they are half price at the moment
Mrs C X
Mum to Eddie

Postby MumtoMonsters » 27 Jun 2012, 18:16

I do wonder though whether only people whose kids haven't been awful with teething ever respond to these threads? I'm sure there are plenty of people here who use teething necklaces but still regularly need to drug their kids. Also wonder whether there are people out there who never had to drug their kids for teething and didn't have a necklace?

Sorry. Just random thoughts that may have been wandering round my head for a while... :wink:
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby Popsie » 27 Jun 2012, 19:39

I never used amber for midge and she wasn't ever that bad.
She had one spell with very red cheeks for about 2days! She moaned and cried but it wasnt ever that bad. Just a bit irritable. It was never constant and she never dribbled.
We sometimes used calpol but found teething granules and bonjela utterly useless! liquid anbesol was awesome and really made a difference!
A few times, she would scream when saving her nappy changed and whilst screaming, I'd spot a new tooth that I had no idea about! And being at the back I'd have thought they'd be worse!

Saying that, I'm going to get amber for the next one which is due in a few weeks. I know I was very lucky with midges teeth and I'm not naive enough to expect the same again!

Hope that answers your questions mtm!
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby marchemum » 27 Jun 2012, 20:04

mtm, I never used amber for my DS and he never really had any problems teething. Lots of dribbling but that was just a pain in winter to keep his chin and front dry. Did buy some teething gel but only used it once. Maybe used calpol on two or three occasions that weren't obviously related to a hgh temperature. I'm not sure if I (or rather DS) was lucky or whether I never associated grumpy/off days with teeth.
D - September 2009
marchemum

Postby MumtoMonsters » 27 Jun 2012, 20:28

marchemum wrote:I'm not sure if I (or rather DS) was lucky or whether I never associated grumpy/off days with teeth.

To be honest, I suspect that's probably more the truth of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love our teething necklaces, and I am openminded about whether or not they could actually genuinely help. I've just never really been comfortable drugging the monsters if it's avoidable and really didn't like any of the gels/powders/other concoctions. I discovered amber necklaces and figured they wouldn't do any harm and weren't overly expensive.

I'm prepared to accept the possibility that amber has all these wonderful properties, just not sure I believe in it all that wholeheartedly. Sounds so stupid to say that though, considering my two have worn theirs constantly since they were about 4m!
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby christyc » 27 Jun 2012, 20:39

MumtoMonsters wrote:I do wonder though whether only people whose kids haven't been awful with teething ever respond to these threads? I'm sure there are plenty of people here who use teething necklaces but still regularly need to drug their kids. Also wonder whether there are people out there who never had to drug their kids for teething and didn't have a necklace?

Sorry. Just random thoughts that may have been wandering round my head for a while... :wink:

Bubs was terrible with teething, screaming blue murder, refusing to feed, calpol a couple of times a night every night!!! I was always sceptical of things like this but was at the end of my tether as bonjela, teething powders etc were useless. Two nights after he put it on his symptoms subsided dramatically. We are now several months on and two teeth later and he very rarely gets calpol but if I think they are really bothering him I will give him some before he goes down. On the odd occasion where I've forgotten to put it back on him he has been more unsettled. I am definitely a convert! My MIL said to me that people don't bat an eyelid when adults wear copper/magnet bracelets for arthritis and it is a similar principle. Not sure if it is or isn't but when people roll their eyes or try not to laugh when I tell them about it, it is much easier to ignore them when my boy is not up screaming umpteen times a night!
christyc

Postby VanillaPickle » 27 Jun 2012, 20:40

Tis a most interesting subject!

Whilst I love crystals, have quite a few and have used some with effect my airy fairy side is won over but my other half is not sceptical as such just 'undecided' I suppose. I have a romantic notion that I want to believe in Arthurian legends, earth rythms, ley lines, vibrations of Stone Henge so on so on......and I don't want to give up that possibility that there might be greater more powerful forces at work but hello that would make me a total fruit loop loon right??

If it works for you then I say go with it.
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby MumtoMonsters » 27 Jun 2012, 20:53

I suppose that's it really. Half of me believes in them because we never really had any teething issues, and the other half believes it's just coincidence.

Seemingly though, it doesn't stop me recommending them wholeheartedly to anyone who'll listen!
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby SnowDrop » 27 Jun 2012, 21:00

My DS can be a test subject :) . I'll report if there are any changes in his symptoms once his anklet arrives.

eTA: I must confess, I did think the purpose of these necklaces etc. was for the baby to chew them. This thread has cleared that up for me, thank goodness! :oops:
My precious babies:
DD born 2009
DS born 2012
SnowDrop

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts