Amber teething necklaces/anklets

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Amber teething necklaces/anklets

Postby SnowDrop » 25 Jun 2012, 10:09

Do they work? Are they safe? Where is a reputable online shop to get one?

DS is, I think, suffering from teething discomfort; red cheeks, drooling a river, chewing furiously on anything he can get his hands on, but grimacing sometimes when chewing and finally sleep is even more cr@p than usual!

I have the usual teething powders, and calpol etc but know that some if you swear by amber and I'm willing to give it a go.

Any advice gratefully received! :)
My precious babies:
DD born 2009
DS born 2012
SnowDrop

Re: Amber teething necklaces/anklets

Postby MumtoMonsters » 25 Jun 2012, 10:35

We swear by them, mainly because we never really experienced any of the things you've listed! We always knew K was teething because of her nappies, but with G teeth just seemed to turn up from time to time. So, either my kids just didn't care about teething, or their amber necklacs really did work miracles!

The necklaces themselves now come with a Trading Standards warning saying they are not suitable for children under 36m. This has come through from Europe, but so far no further information regarding this new guidance has arrived. My nephew (son of two TS Officers) wears his necklace constantly.

You're looking for baltic amber (rounded) beads which are individually knotted onto string. The string breaks under pressure, but the beads are not lost/do not become choking hazard.
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby Eli » 25 Jun 2012, 10:50

Do they work? - I can only state anecdotal evidence, Munchkin coped much better with teething after she got one, she also became a sunnier child, you could tell when she hadn't been wearing it! Mr Man teethed with minimal fuss, has had amber beads on since he was 3 months (now 3yrs 1month!). Again if he hasn't had them on for a while we notice the difference in him, less calm. They aren't for chewing on, they are designed to be worn, the effects are alledgedly due to micro oils being absorbed by the skin.
I swear by them the difference in my children is impressive, I have ordered one for my next baby before it is even born!

Are they safe? - This call is really rather up to you. Medicinally they can't do any harm, the risks that are associated with them are the potential for strangulation and/or choking hazards. Reputable retailers necklaces are made so that the cord the beads are strung on will snap if it should become caught in something (I can attest to this, Munchkin threw herself off my lap and the beads snagged in my fingers as I grabbed her, cord gave way, didn't even mark her neck).
They are also strung so there is a knot between each bead so should they break a maximum of one bead can escape. The idea is they wear it under their clothes so is unlikely to get caught anyway. So there is the potential of a slight risk, only you can decide whether to risk it. Though chances are you/other responsible adult will be close by so unlikely LO would manage to get bead into mouth without you noticing anyway!
Where is a reputable online shop to get one? - as MTM says a few stores have stopped trading (due to Europe/Trading Standards treating us all like mindless children), however I have just bought one for my bump from http://www.amber-teething-necklaces.co.uk/ Good Baltic amber and nice quality, lots of choice of designs too!

Sorry is long, hope it helps
Eli

Postby VanillaPickle » 25 Jun 2012, 11:04

And to add my airy fairy crystal loving side to the debate...

Amber is a powerful healer and cleanser, drawing disease from the body promoting tissue revitalization. It also cleans the environment and the chakras. It absorbs negative engergies and transmutes them into positive forces that stimulate the body to heal itself. A powerful protector.

Psychologically it is supposed to bring stability to life, clear depression and promote a positive mental state, alleviate stress.

Interestingly if using on children and babies it is recommended that the mother wears the amber first.

<runs and hides my airy fairy side back in it's box>
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby MissKitty » 25 Jun 2012, 11:35

Am I too late, or will they work for molars?!

Seriously though, with an older, very active baby, how do they stand up to daily wear and mischief? And does anyone know whether nurseries take issue with them for health and safety reasons?

VanillaPickle - wear your airy fairy side with pride! You are not the only one with these tendencies ;) I have a large pear-shaped amber pendant that I have to be careful when wearing (so I don't wear it too often) - it's like a rocket up my entire life when I do. Seriously healing stuff, amber... Relatedly, LO had a little reiki from me this morning whilst feeding, hoping to balance him and tame the emerging teeths. His face has calmed right down and he's in a soundless deep slumber right now (complete change from last night).
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty

Postby Cait » 25 Jun 2012, 11:41

Teething and depression??? Sign me up, I'll do anything to cut El's chances of the family curse!
Pootle - May 2011 (after a long time trying)
Doing whatever works for us whenever I know what that is and with Green & Black's white chocolate whenever possible.
Cait

Postby MumtoMonsters » 25 Jun 2012, 11:55

MissKitty wrote:Seriously though, with an older, very active baby, how do they stand up to daily wear and mischief?

My monsters still wear them constantly now and they had both finished teething by the time they turned two. Preschool have no issue with it, though I assume I will have to remove K's for school come September.

And yes, they did (I assume!) help with the molars too. K had earache with her last two top molars and had two unsettled nights, but as I say, G's just appeared at some point. He was a bit grumpier than usual, but no worse than he is just before getting a cold.
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby MissKitty » 25 Jun 2012, 12:04

Fab! I will choose one from the rather fantastic array available later. And possibly one for me too... not that I'm teething, but am a sucker for bling :)
Mommy to a June 2011 LO
MissKitty

Postby squirt » 25 Jun 2012, 13:27

I didn't notice much difference with the necklace, but the teeth cut about 2 days after it arrived, with a week of stressfull sleeplessness before that. So he naturally calmed, but would have anyway.

I'm not very good to put the necklace back on in the morning :oops:
squirt

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 25 Jun 2012, 13:41

We bought ours from Amber Pumpkin. According to their website, they still aren't selling the tiny ones for babies due to concearns from Trading Standards (yawn!), but you can still get the anklets - which can be worn all the time without any risks.

I've heard many mothers saying that they work. We've always used a hazelwood necklace (from Tearless Teething) which has been brilliant. We thought we'd give the amber one a go for a change but I kept up with the hazelwood one too as I didn't want to risk it! So she's worn both for about a year! We never take them off, even at night! I'm passed thinking they'll strangle her! The hazelwood is designed to snap anyway so I don't worry any more.

She is so much better with them on than without - they need to be removed if we go swimming so have discovered the difference in her when we've forgotten to put them straight back on! Most teething phases have only required a dose of calpol at night and she's been fine the rest of the time. And the last 2 molars appeared without us actually knowing she was teething. I won't be without them.

And thank you for the reminder that I need to buy one for the one on the way!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Heidi » 25 Jun 2012, 14:51

squirt wrote:I didn't notice much difference with the necklace, but the teeth cut about 2 days after it arrived, with a week of stressfull sleeplessness before that. So he naturally calmed, but would have anyway.

I haven't taken Kiera's off her since she got it aged around 3 months. She wears it to bed, swimming, on the beach etc etc

Surely teething pain is worst at night, so that's when they really need it???
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby Nix » 25 Jun 2012, 14:56

Buy from Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks website. Seriously. Two years down the line, Jaspers has just snapped and they are replacing it free of charge for me. Even though I bought it in 2010. Excellent customer service.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby madcatmummy » 25 Jun 2012, 19:00

I must say I didn't believe that an Amber necklace would actually work until I tried one! JT has cut his top teeth with 3 doses of calpol in total. Slightly more dribble than a normal day. I wouldn't be without it. I got mine from Amazon and it has all the safety features listed above.
mum to AD (03/09) and JT (08/11) and 2 mad cats!
madcatmummy

Postby squirt » 26 Jun 2012, 03:32

Heidi wrote:
squirt wrote:I didn't notice much difference with the necklace, but the teeth cut about 2 days after it arrived, with a week of stressfull sleeplessness before that. So he naturally calmed, but would have anyway.

I haven't taken Kiera's off her since she got it aged around 3 months. She wears it to bed, swimming, on the beach etc etc

Surely teething pain is worst at night, so that's when they really need it???

aren't you worried about strangling? We cosleep and I worry I get my hands in the necklace and strangle him somehow. Otherwise I'd leave it on. We leave it on when swimming and stuff.
squirt

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 26 Jun 2012, 06:49

I leave it on 24/7. I'm not worried about catching it as I tend to wake up to feed him (irritating but useful I suppose)

I do take it off for swimming. Chlorine is supposed to damage the amber I heard.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Next

Return to Random Thoughts