wedding outfits and breastfeeding

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

wedding outfits and breastfeeding

Postby sully » 10 Apr 2012, 08:03

my brother is getting married next month (his very kind wife to be even offered a play pen to 'keep' Pumpkin in for the day...ahem.) anyway, i digress. Pumpkin will be 13 months but im sure will still be feeding a fair bit in the day. Any recommendations/tips/tactics on how best to look the part but still be able to feed subtly (will i have to forego a nice summer dress?). Im not one for dressing up except for special occasions so i Cant say Ive had any practice! And Pumpkin isnt known for feeding quietly and subtly anymore either, but i dont want to be in a situation where she wants milk and i Cant find anywhere private. Thanks :-)
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Re: wedding outfits and breastfeeding

Postby Nix » 10 Apr 2012, 08:12

I always breastfed at special occasions including my own wedding. I just wore a dress with easy access to boobs and brought along a pashmina/blanket. At my own wedding I felt quite self conscious as I was the bride so I asked the venue if there was somewhere private I could sit and they let me into the staff office. You might find at 13 months with all the excitement of the day, your girl feeds less than usual.
Last edited by Nix on 10 Apr 2012, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Jelly Belly » 10 Apr 2012, 08:16

A wrap dress works well or you could splurge on a dress designed for feeding (I have 2 - one flattering and one not so). Otherwise I go for something with a deep V and use my wrap or a pashmina for some extra coverage. Feeding with whichever girl in a cradle hold in a ring sling also worked well as I had the tail to use as extra cover. Obviously you make the sling to match you outfit... :wink:

For the last wedding we went to I had a dress that could be strapless so I used the optional straps and just unclipped the relevant side and draped my sling. I also had a succession of people at the wedding approach me to comment about how fabulous it was to see someone feeding and tell me how long they had fed their babies for and how much they both enjoyed it - apparently Cypriots are very pro BF!
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Fozza » 10 Apr 2012, 08:17

I borrowed our friends room (then forgot to give him the key and caused all sorts of problems later when he was drunk!)
Anyway, I got a maxi dress with cross over front from Monsoon. It was black with pink flowers...lovely. With a scarf or muslin to cover the boob a bit. Shop hard, you will find something.
Oh yeah a ring sling will come in handy too.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby PicNic » 10 Apr 2012, 08:48

Someone on here suggested a button front dress when I was looking for something for DDs baptism. I got a lovely one from Jasper Conran and there were loads of others around that looked more summery too. Might be another option for you
Very proud mummy of our adventurous little man 09/09 and our cheeky little lady 11/11
PicNic

Postby PolarBearGirl » 10 Apr 2012, 08:52

I had a chiffony wrap top which came with a vest, I pulled the vest up & top down - not too much boob on show! a wrap is great too. At most hotels there's a quiet bar (when ppl are eating) or high backed chairs in the lounge/reception, so i always managed to find somewhere quiet.
A 03/08 & F 02/11 favorite passer by quotes 'isn't he alert' and 'they must keep you busy' ;)
PolarBearGirl

Postby MrsC » 10 Apr 2012, 08:56

I'm going to have a similar problem in July when my sister gets married. I'm her bridesmaid and the dress isn't very breast feeding friendly. E will have just turned 6 months so the combined wisdom is that it will be ok because she'll be on solids by then so won't need breast feeling much. My sister reckons I can feed her in the loo. Erm, I don't think so! I think I may just take the dress to a dress maker and see if they can adjust it to have breast feeding flaps sewn in or something.

Anyway, onto your problem. You could always wear a smart top and skirt if you can't find a suitable dress. And I'm sure there will be loads of corners and the back of the room to feed discreetly. Good luck
3 year old twins, 1 year old toddler.
MrsC

Postby miss_p » 10 Apr 2012, 12:05

I tried on this dress yesterday as a possible wedding outfit for a few months time. I thought at the time that it would have been perfect for the last wedding I went to where I was bf-ing and had trouble finding something to wear. I won't be bf-ing this time, but I will be 5 months pregnant and I think it'll work nicely for that too.

http://www.joules.com/en-GB/Womens-Dres ... il.raction
miss_p

Postby busmother » 11 Apr 2012, 13:19

A friend of mine was bridesmaid and BFing, brought a large yellow t-shirt to put on over the dress while she was feeding. Then forgot to take it off for the rest of the day. Pashmina sounds like a better bet.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby catkin » 11 Apr 2012, 14:26

I wore a nice skirt, loose blouse and jacket.
In fact, got a big family do next week, only problem is i still have a bit much post-baby belly, and not sure if my nice skirt will fit yet :( Still, may be an excuse for a shopping trip :)
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby sabrina fair » 11 Apr 2012, 18:57

My solutions have been a nice skirt and two strappy vests and a shrug over the top. Two vests mean that one can be pushed up and the other covers the belly. The shrug also helps to cover up. At another wedding I just wore a dress with a soft v-neck and a pretty cardi, so that I could feed over the top of the dress but under the cardi.

Also, :scream at the playpen (like a 13-month-old would be happy in there all day!) and :scream :scream :scream at feeding a baby in the toilets!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby thebean » 11 Apr 2012, 19:08

I was a bridesmaid last year when jack was 14 weeks it was a halter neck dress and I got a clasp fitted so I could undo the neck. luckerly the wedding was at four so my wonderful DH just had him in a sling most of the evening and he slept. When he did feed I used a cover (borrowed from a friend) which worked well.
Jack is now 12 months and doesn't feed during the day so as others have said it probably won't be to much of a problem.
Sarah mum to Harry born 26.01.09 and Jack 5.04.2011
thebean

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Apr 2012, 19:16

Loving the dress posted by miss p!

I had a christening a few weeks ago and wore a dress with a deep v so I could plop one out where appropriate. I also phoned the venue beforehand and asked if there was somewhere quiet that could be used on the day and they were most accommodating. If its in a hotel, I would perhaps see if you can borrow the room of someone staying there. Pumpkin may not want to feed as much but there is the possibly of needing some quiet time with mummy too so it's always handy.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby frecklemama » 11 Apr 2012, 19:27

When I went to a wedding when DS was 3 months old I wore a wrap dress, which worked out perfectly for feeding and looking nice...
Mum to F (Feb 2008) and O (Dec 2010)
frecklemama

Postby ToothFairy » 11 Apr 2012, 19:31

I made a wrap dress for BIL's wedding last year, and it worked fine. Elsie was just over a year, but very shouty so boob during the ceremony was essential!! I only made the dress because I wanted it to match a wrap I'd bought :oops:
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Next

Return to Random Thoughts