Bringing up baby - only slightly OT

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Postby Aitch » 01 Oct 2007, 12:22

erm, she shagged Mick Jagger while Jerry Hall and the baby she was employed to care for were in another room. Naice. Allegedly. Mind you, they are quoting her directly so lord knows it appears to be true. :scream
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Mij » 01 Oct 2007, 21:59

Back home, just watched it on 4od (still, thanks for the offer Aitch) and does anyone else just want to shake the poor woman who, through floods of tears and sound of the distant wailing of a 3 day old is sobbing 'I know it's the right thing to do...' and say 'but your BODY knows it isn't! It's OK to comfort a newborn for god's sake'. Just as upsetting as that C5 Ms Ford programme. But CV is really not coming across well...
Everything is done by ordinary people
Mij

Postby AB&M » 02 Oct 2007, 12:28

Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Bigpud » 02 Oct 2007, 14:18

Bigpud

Postby AB&M » 03 Oct 2007, 12:29

OK well I watched it last night after DH explained to me that the TV wasn't magical enough for them to KNOW i'd watched it :oops:

I still want to scream at CV but I don't need to as the programme has so far proved her wrong in that the mums following her are having the worst time of it because it goes against human nature to leave a baby crying.

Whilst watching it, Bruno was :cry with them although probably not out of sympathy for their babies, more to do with feeling crap & not being able to sleep. He came to bed with me in the end which was just :bsmile :bsmile
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Louise&Oliver » 06 Oct 2007, 19:25

Do you think it's just a coincidence that these extreme parenting ''experts'' (that word could not be applied more loosely...) actually don't have any children of their own? As my dear mum likes to say, you don't have to cut your own finger off to know it hurts - but establishing an army-style regimen - sorry, routine - over the course of a couple of weeks is very different to living with a baby, week in, week out. I remember watching a similar programme a few months ago - I think it was people trying to live by Gina Ford's book - and the one scene I will never forget is this poor young couple waking up at 3am with a screaming baby, looking at the book and basically wailing 'but it doesn't say what to do now!!' I think the most frustrating thing about all the advice/experts/gurus etc etc is that it makes parents lose trust in their own instincts, and question their own feelings/approach. Hah - says she who has posted wailing pleas for help on this very site, ha ha! :wink:
Louise&Oliver

Postby Marie77 » 06 Oct 2007, 22:41

I have to say we are extremely lucky with both our boys, DS1 woke only once and slept thorugh from about thre months, DS2 slept through from the second he was born. But I am absolutely convinced that a crying baby tries to tell us it needs something - milk, fresh nappy, less clothes, more clothes or just a cuddle. Not react to that is just cruel. I saw the last programme because I wanted to know what it was all about but I will not watch another one.

I am sure you all agree that we have children to bring them up with love and understanding to see them grow into responsible, caring and self-confident adults, not to fit them into routines as quickly and unobstrusive as possible!
Marie
Mummy to Nicholas and Daniel

www.marie-harris.com www.myspace/mariechristineharris
Marie77

Postby geva » 07 Oct 2007, 10:23

geva

Postby Eleanor » 07 Oct 2007, 12:06

Gina Ford says the cuddlephobic woman's regime damages babies! My God, it must be bad.

[there doesn't seem to be an emoticon for "howls of mirth" so I'll settle for :wink: and :!: ]
Eleanor

Previous

Return to Random Thoughts