school admissions forms = yeouchy head!

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Re: school admissions forms = yeouchy head!

Postby Tintin » 13 Jan 2012, 10:07

EEK FlossiesMum! Oh well, nothing like a deadline to aid decisive thinking!
Are you doing it online then, or will you be hand delivering the form?
I was so annoyed our online applications had to be in so early! Who's ever heard of online applications having an EARLIER deadline than postal?! Surely it's usually "deadline is 16th Jan, so online closes at midnight on 16th Jan" - our online applications had to be in by 9th December!!! :?
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby Svea » 13 Jan 2012, 18:22

Are you in lewisham FM? If so, what schools are options? In the end, I think how well a school performs and so on is just as as valid as convenience of location, say. If you don't know which order to put them in then there can't be much between them?
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby Nix » 01 Mar 2012, 07:24

Is anyone else feeling really anxious about this all the time??? I haven't yet been asked for Harvey's baptism certificate for any of the four catholic schools I applied for, the reception ones had to be in three weeks ago and yet I think we are meant to find out five days before reception places are revealed. I am just going to be so devasted if H doesn't get into my first choice. I would have to look into wrap around care if not. Mum will be able to help me so much if he gets into the one I want as her children go there also. We are in catchment area but on the boarder. It is less than a km away though. I can't help but worry.

After Easter I am going to up his nursery hours to 15 per week in preparation for him going full time in September. He's really excited and I believe he will be more than ready but I am going to miss my best friend.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby ariom2 » 01 Mar 2012, 09:15

That must be hard Nixxie. I really don't envy the people who are in competitive areas for school places. We're in a rural area and pretty much are under the impression that we could freely choose from 4 local schools which were under=subscribed. I do worry occasionally that it'll be an exceptional year as we are towards the edge of catchment for our first choice and when we viewed it the head told B it was his school and every time we drive past B announces 'I'm going to that school in September' so I do have occasional worries that it'll all go wrong and B's hopes will be all built up.
B - 05/08, T - 11/11
ariom2

Postby Tintin » 01 Mar 2012, 11:53

Yes, Nixxie, it plays on my mind a lot too. I'm fairly confident we'll get into our catchment school but I just want it confirmed.

Stompy also does the "is that my school?" thing every time we go past it, and DP and I make a point of saying "we don't know yet... maybe..." I also want to know which of her friends will be going to the same school as her, and who she'll be in the same class with, who her teacher will be, etc etc etc.

Actually, I just want to fastforward to Sept - I hate this feeling of being in limbo!
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby A_W » 14 Mar 2012, 12:24

Paranoia setting in here too. Every time I hear of another child at pre school who wants to go to the school we've set our hearts on I do a mental count in my head and try and work out how many other possible 4 year olds in the villages around us might have applied too. Which obviously is completely impossible to work out as it's so rural and I've no idea.

H has been telling people all the time she is going to that school and she is doing another visit next week with pre school there. So if she doesn't go there she'll be heartbroken too as well as me..... sob!

Driving me insane - roll on 23rd April PLEASE - I am counting days now!!!!!!!
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby skip » 14 Mar 2012, 12:30

Good luck everyone. We've got to wait til the end of April too - it's killing me.
Mama to the marvellous M (July '08) and R-bear (Oct '11)
skip

Postby Nix » 14 Mar 2012, 12:32

Angelwaves, I totally do that! I know at least 10-15 people who want their children in our first choice. It's only a 30 intake and I doubt they'll be dishing out any part time places. We got letters this week asking for proof of address, baptism certificate and birth certificate. I drove round and handed them in. I found the friendliest reception from my third choice school but it doesn't change my priorities. The help I will get from my mum will far outweigh lack of welcome from the school secretaries.

I've got Harvey's uniform hanging in his wardrobe. It's only old hand me downs but it's all so real. If he doesn't get in, I will have to spend a fortune on new uniform and pass the old jumpers on. It will be quite emotional. He has to get in! Then if he does get in, we have to apply again next year for a reception place. All this stress again!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby FlossiesMum » 14 Mar 2012, 12:39

Trying not to think about it still. To be honest I'm okay with any of the 6 schools on the form but I still worry about the possibility that because we aren't that close to any school we'll get none of them and just be allocated a random school miles across the borough that almost no-one wants to go to. It doesn't happen that much but it certainly does happen around here :-(
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby Kanga » 14 Mar 2012, 13:01

We have to wait till 9th may I think :? I am also aware of quite a few people who want my first choice so who knows what will happen! Partly it depends on the number of siblings applying too. To be honest, I'd be happy enough with either of my other 2 choices too. Not a lot we can do about it anyway!!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Previous

Return to Random Thoughts