school admissions forms = yeouchy head!

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

school admissions forms = yeouchy head!

Postby weasley » 09 Sep 2011, 19:43

Hell fire, I've just read the world's longest and most boring document filled with tables galore and have now scared myself that I will never get a school place for Scoot. All three of our local school were over subscribed this year and I'm in a muddle as to which to put down first to try and maximise chances. The closest is a CoE and doesn't have a catchment area; a buggar because if it did, we'd be in it.
And to make things worse, I've now got an Avril Lavine song in my head, something about being complicated... :?
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Re: school admissions forms = yeouchy head!

Postby Noir » 09 Sep 2011, 19:48

I'm full of sympathy on that score. Liv's unlikely to get in till next year now. The whole idea of you getting any choice is quite frankly bull in areas where schools are over-subscribed I'm afraid :(.
Noir

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 09 Sep 2011, 19:52

Check with your education authority if the order you put them in makes a difference, it doesn't here. What I mean is that if you don't get into choice No1 that doesn't affect choice No2, the criteria are only about sibling links or distance to the school. Or religion if it's that kind of school.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Nix » 09 Sep 2011, 19:53

I did not read any ofsted reports, or compare schools. All the schools I hav applied for are schools I know through people going there or me working there. I just applied for schools where I know H will be happy. My first choice is one where my mums children still go. When H starts nursery my sister will be in yr4 and my brother in yr 2.

Good luck everyone with getting your first choices!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby FlossiesMum » 09 Sep 2011, 20:04

LouisianaMudPie wrote:Check with your education authority if the order you put them in makes a difference, it doesn't here. What I mean is that if you don't get into choice No1 that doesn't affect choice No2, the criteria are only about sibling links or distance to the school. Or religion if it's that kind of school.

It's like that here too. The order matters as if you get into both 1st and 2nd choice, they'll give you 1st, but it doesn't mean you're any more likely to get your 1st choice than someone who put the same school as 4th choice.

I read through mine last night. Choice my arse. If the catchments work like last year there is only one school within 2 miles we'd get a place at.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby weasley » 09 Sep 2011, 20:06

Nope, I never read OFSTED reports or SATs results, these are meaningless to me. I read the admissions procedure for our authority, that's all. I think Scoot would be happy at any of the three local schools. Other things that I feel are important are - walking distance, I want him to be able to walk there and call for friends. General ethos of the school, I want great community links and an emphasis on the creative curriculum not results. I'd also like a school with a field. The only problem is that all three schools could have been filled twice over with just the 1st choices. I've written all the school's number's down and the LEA's number and am on a phoning mission on Monday.

My worry with catchments is that our local primary doesn't have one so there can be applications considered from all over Swindon. What I don't understand is how they allocate places after they've done the S.E.N, looked after children and siblings.
weasley

Postby Svea » 09 Sep 2011, 20:21

you are worrying me, should i already have packs of info or something to leaf though now? i was hoping to defer any school related stuff until after the half term holiday (as we are going away then) to tackel in those 6 weeks until christmas. applications need to be in by january? (end of?).

anyone? or, where on your LA's website did you fing this info??
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby Nix » 09 Sep 2011, 20:28

MY LEA don't send anything out but maybe that is because I am applying for a school nursery place. I had until January to fill the form in but I have done it already as I have known for ages which schools I wanted to put down. It makes it easier that we are Catholics so obviously the three local Catholic schools are my top 3.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby weasley » 09 Sep 2011, 20:34

Sorry Svea, didn't mean to scare you. You have until January 15th. I'm a teacher so knew where to look and since I'm not back at work yet, am using the time to get the forms done as I am notoriously dappy with such things. If you search school admissions on your council website, it should give you details of admission policy, how to apply on line, school contact details, data on this years intake and maps of catchment areas.
weasley

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 09 Sep 2011, 21:19

We can apply for the Pickle's place from 1st November (last date is 15th Jan) and we'll find out on19th April. Luckily we have 4 good schools here which meet the needs of the local community well (catchment pretty much guarantees a place) and the Monster will already be there
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby Tintin » 09 Sep 2011, 21:29

We've just got back from holiday, and amongst the pile of junk mail waiting for us was a letter from the LEA telling us that we had to apply (by Jan 15) and a booklet of info to read.
I know the two schools I want to put as 1st and 2nd choice, although I'm not sure in what order, but we're really unsure about 3rd choice.
The first two choices are based on things we've heard, distance, and - I'll admit it - OFSTED reports (only in as much as I've scanned them for a general overview - one of the schools is 2 overall, but scores 1 for pastoral care - I like that). Both were oversubscribed last year.
The next thing now is to find out about if/when the schools are having Open Days or something similar to help us finalise our choices. EEK!
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 09 Sep 2011, 21:36

I found it easier to phone the schools and go in and have a tour with the headteacher rather than attend an open day - got a much better feel for the school that way. I still agonised over pressing send for ages!!
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby catkin » 09 Sep 2011, 21:56

Hope you can get some sense out of them Weasley.

I've already got a yeouchy head about this and we don't even have to do it till next year (2013 entry). Based on recent years stats and local admissions rules, we wouldn't get into any of our 3 closest schools. I'm starting to feel discriminated against for not being religious.
Question is, will they get the local schools situation sorted out in the next two years? They're seriously running out of space to squeeze portacabins in by our 2013 entry. Or do we move house this year? It feels all wrong to move because of schools.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby fothers » 10 Sep 2011, 05:14

I need to look into it too :( When I start MAT leave in October I need to phone and book viewings and things and then sort the form. It is starting to stress me out thinking about it.
Maisie -Jan 2008, Lois -Oct 2009, Rose -Nov 2011
fothers

Postby A_W » 10 Sep 2011, 11:45

OMG! I just looked onine and we can apply from monday. I didn't realise it was that soon. I know which school I want H to go to but we're not officially in it's catchment area (although there are two girls in the village that do go there but one had to go to appeal this year) and if she doesn't get in I will be devastated. I was thinking of bribing our way in with an offer of a free story time chair for the school grounds by my dh ;-)))
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Next

Return to Random Thoughts