Hmmm...baby hammock help?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Hmmm...baby hammock help?

Postby KatGoldLIN » 18 Apr 2011, 10:44

After initial success with the baby hammock, T doesn't love it. He hates being in it when awake, but that's fair as he likes to look around. Even when sleeping, he prefers to be with me. He sleeps much longer next to me, even not feeding or anything. The hammock also makes his stridor worse, which no one can tell me if that is a terrible thing.

Anyone have similar issues settling a babe into a hammock? Should I keep trying? Those of you with hammocks, how much did your newborn sleep in it? He'll quite often sleep in his bouncy chair, so he's not hugely clingy or anything.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Re: Hmmm...baby hammock help?

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 18 Apr 2011, 16:54

I don't think my hammock experience counts for 'normal babies' but fwiw William has slept about 22hrs of the day in it almost everyday since birth. He'll transfer from the moby to the hammock pretty easily as it still has motion. I've literally just got home and moved him from the car seat to it (hate babies sleeping in car seats) and he's happily snoring away.

So far he's v settled in it. If he won't settle it's generally a wind issue.

I'm not sure what you should do though? Arch always slept in a rocker chair as a baby (for naps) but I couldn't do that now unless I put it in a playpen as arch and lotty would be a nightmare hence hanging William from a beam in a hammock works brilliantly. I think, in your situation, I'd probably persist for a few days but if it's making his stridor worse, and he won't settle, I'd try a rocker chair in a playpen or just nap him in the pushchair. Lotty always napped outside in the pushchair (lying flat), even in the rain. She slept brilliantly like that!
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby scarlett175 » 18 Apr 2011, 18:22

we bought an amby when Bean was 3 months and tried to settle her in it with disasterous results, but to be honest I think we missed the window of getting her used to it, I had thought that newborn babes would be easier getting used to it IYSWIM... after 3 months of moses basket and sleeping on us she seemed genuinely freaked out by the amby... I have lovingly packed it away for any future additions so I will be watching this thread..

sorry thats not very helpful!!
Mama to Beanie April 2010, and Mr Man, June 2012
scarlett175

Postby KatGoldLIN » 18 Apr 2011, 19:44

Well, after posting this, he's now slept in it all day. I did give him a dummy to help settle him a bit and it worked a charm. He's been very chilled in it.

Still not sure about the whole stridor thing...it's wrong to say it's worse in the hammock, but it is more consistent when he's in there.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Return to Random Thoughts