help - getting disillusioned with blw!

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

help - getting disillusioned with blw!

Postby dirtygertiefromnumber30 » 23 Sep 2007, 18:04

dd is 10 months and has been blw from 6 months old. It's all been going really well up until about a week ago when she just started spitting everything out or shaking her head and refusing food.
Fine, i think, go with the flow, it's a little stage, she's just having a 'less hungry week'. Today though was feeling a bit stressed about it and dh went to the shop and came back with a jar <shudder> and said he was going to feed her that. I was up to my eyes in dealing with an arguement beween ds and dss so just answered 'fine, whatever'.
Now, lo and behold she ate the whole blinking thing in about 30 seconds flat (after having refused food all day)
waaaaaa, what now? is she telling me she WANTS purees/ mashed food or what?
dirtygertiefromnumber30

Postby AB&M » 23 Sep 2007, 18:49

I think someone else on here has had a similar problem with refusing food & shaking their head. Odd re the puree though :?

Sorry I can't offer any advice - we're only just getting started.

Hope you work out how to solve the problem.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby dirtygertiefromnumber30 » 23 Sep 2007, 19:14

thanks for replying anyway, its a mystery.
hope someone will shed some light on it as i really dont want to start mashing / pureeing / spoon feeding this time round
She has been sleeping quite badly recently, im just wondering if she may be too tired for picking up and chewing etc and only had the energy for swallowing the mush???
dirtygertiefromnumber30

Postby habbibu » 23 Sep 2007, 19:52

Teeth? When I'm not feeling 100% I quite often just want soup (and mostly I am not a soup fan). At 10 months you wouldn't be pureeing/mashing stuff that much anyway, so I wouldn't worry about "starting" that. Perhaps meet her halfway with tempting softish BLW food? How's she doing with milk?
habbibu

Postby Aitch » 23 Sep 2007, 20:37

i think those jars are most cunningly calibrated to appeal to babies, they're so sweet. personally i'd ditch them right off. just my opinion, but if you look at the packs they last about two years, so i simply don't believe that they are any good, regardless of how organic or whatever they say. although i imagine the frozen ones are fine (ish).

i'd be inclined to agree with habbibu, that maybe the baby just can't be bothered to pick the food up or chew it, possibly because she's coming down with something, has had an injection recently or is teething.

it's not really a blw problem, as such, because like habbibu says by now all babies should be well on their way to self-feeding, regardless of how they started. if you're worried about her from a nutritional perspective (ie if she's not drinking her milk) or if you'd just like to spoon feed, then go for it, but make something nicer and more nutritious than a jar i'd say. but you don't need to, so long as she's got milk. either way in time she'll start self-feeding again, i'm sure, so no worrying.

:wink:
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Marie77 » 23 Sep 2007, 20:37

I would think it has something to do with teeth as well. Stick with it as long as she drinks her milk she will be fine.

Don't worry too much about the jar - we sometimes have battles over some carrots and broccoli which he normally loves and then DS1 wolfes down a yoghurt as if there is no tomorrow.

Deep breaths :D
Marie
Mummy to Nicholas and Daniel

www.marie-harris.com www.myspace/mariechristineharris
Marie77

Postby macaroon » 23 Sep 2007, 20:54

our dd is coming up to 1 year and often won't pick food up from her plate / tray, giving the impression that she's finished eating for the session, but if it's put on a spoon for her she'll often pick that up and feed herself. For example, for breakfast she'll grab half a banana and eat about half of that by hand, then dump the rest on the tray. If I mash the remaining banana and put it on a spoon and leave it for her to pick up, however, she seems to think it's a completely different food (dumb baby...) and will polish off the rest quite happily. This also works with vegetables (peas are just poked with a finger, hardly ever picked up by hand, but happily scoffed squished on a spoon to stop them rolling off into her bib), casseroles, all sorts of stuff. I'm past caring why or worrying about whether I should be squishing food up like that - she's the one deciding to eat it that way, so who am I to interfere? anyway, maybe that's worth trying occasionally as an alternative to a jar?
macaroon

Postby dirtygertiefromnumber30 » 24 Sep 2007, 08:49

thanks all. she's guzzling her milk down fine (in fact milk intake gone up) so youre right - no need to worry from a nutritional pov.
Also - agree about the jars. Im always banging on to friends that the sell by date is 2020 or something ridiculous so how can they have any goodness in them. It was a momentary lapse, im just going to give her softer foods (risotto, cassaroles etc) for now and maybe give her an extra hand with the spoon (usually just leave her to it) until she's back to her normal self.

thanks again :)
dirtygertiefromnumber30

Postby Aitch » 24 Sep 2007, 10:32

it is Just Bizarre, isn't it, when you look at the jars. i grab them in Ikea (this is bad, but they give them away free and i like to fill the jars with lentils and barley to make shakers...) and i can't believe that any organic goodness can withstand that sell-by date. are they irradiated? what has been done to that mush??! :scream
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 24 Sep 2007, 10:44

Was it that Woman's Hour thing where AK explained the sell by dates? It's not preservatives you know!
TinkerbellesMum

Postby dirtygertiefromnumber30 » 24 Sep 2007, 13:06

hmm, one of my smart arse friends (who jar feeds obv) explained that it's because the jars are sterile and airtight no bacteria can get in so food can stay fresh for years. hmm
still, i noticed from feeding dc1 that no matter what 'flavour' jar you get, they all taste and look exactly the same! spaghetti carbonara no different to lancashire hotpot!
dirtygertiefromnumber30

Postby AB&M » 24 Sep 2007, 18:35

Jumping the conversation somewhat & going back to the original question, maybe giving your LO some bread soaked in yummy soup? Make her feel better perhaps?

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby dirtygertiefromnumber30 » 26 Sep 2007, 18:36

panic over! yesterday she wolfed down a huge plate of pasta and tonight ate fishfingers, mash and broccoli so we are back on track! And lo and behold caught sight of a new tooth earlier which must have been the cause of the problem. <rolls eyes and makes mental note not to over react next time!>

Thanks for all your advice!
dirtygertiefromnumber30

Postby Fozza » 26 Sep 2007, 19:10

The thing is its always when you least expect and when you least want it to happen. And so can make you feel like its all gone wrong! Its so horrible for them. Glad she is feeling better though.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby AB&M » 26 Sep 2007, 20:14

Don't you also find that when they're really upset, sometimes you don't even think that it could be the teeth?

Its only after a screaming session when I start to look back I realise, oh it must have been his teeth or he has a cold etc. When I'm actually there trying to calm Bruno down I just never think he's ill or in pain - my mind goes blank :oops:

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Return to Random Thoughts