teachers: anyone thought of tutoring?

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

teachers: anyone thought of tutoring?

Postby blossom » 20 Jan 2011, 20:49

I already do this through school and was thinking of starting up a little sideline on my own as I don't live near work and thought maybe I could do it whilst on Mat leave.

Would I be running too much of a risk trying to do something under the table like this? Or would it not be worried about due to the earnings being so small?
Has anyone got any advice re starting up? eg: I'd need to do the tuition at my own house.
Sugarpie Nov 2007, Twinkletoes May 2011.
blossom

Re: teachers: anyone thought of tutoring?

Postby Spanner » 20 Jan 2011, 20:53

I'm watching with interest! A friend of mine does it so I'll ask her tomorrow when I see her.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby LemonJuice » 20 Jan 2011, 21:02

It depends how much you think you might do? As someone who is legitimately self-employed (not tutoring but could do if necessary) in education, I might be a little annoyed to think that I am paying tax on my earnings when others aren't. I get next to nothing in the way of maternity pay and if I were to do a 'sideline' and were caught I'd have a lot to loose.

I guess it's down to how honest you are. You'd need to be careful who you'd be tutoring and would need to provide references for any prospective parents/ clients - who might those references be from who wouldn't have a vested interest in your maternity pay?

Not judging you Blossom, I can understand why the thought would cross your mind. I live in the world of grammar schools here so plenty of take up for tutors in prer for the 11 plus.
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby blossom » 20 Jan 2011, 21:12

LJ, it's ok, I wanted honest opinions as so far IRL everyone I talk to seems to think it's a good idea.
blossom

Postby PerpetualMadness » 20 Jan 2011, 21:13

Honestly, i wouldn't work cash in hand.
PerpetualMadness

Postby Heidi » 20 Jan 2011, 21:19

I think there are a few issues with cash in hand while on maternity leave. 1. You're employer won't be too thrilled I guess - you may find there is something in your contract re working elsewhere while employed by them, and especially if they pay you enhanced mat pay, and 2. The tax man won't be happy if you don't pay tax.
Having said that, I would seriously consider doing it if it were me. If it were one or two children only, and small amounts of cash it prob wouldn't be worth the hassle of declaring it :wink:
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby Pics » 20 Jan 2011, 21:44

I am a bit of a wuss with breaking rules so you may wish to ignor eme but ....

tutoring is fairly public - wrd of mouth can spread the news a fair way, especially with parents and you may find yourself the victim of your own success.
If someone passes on the information that you are working in your maternity leave, your leave wi straight away be over, no choice to you. That would be a real downer on the whole thing.

On another note, i thought i would be longing to be back promoting the website etc etc each day woth Iona, but am very happy being on maternity leave. DH is processiong orders, so i am aware of what is going on, but i am really enjoying getting to know DD2 and needing every minute to work out a routine with two(ad to access the forum!). Tutoring could be quite a committment.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Tintin » 20 Jan 2011, 21:58

Like pics, I'd be too worried about getting caught and the consequences. Undertaking ANY work whilst on maternity leave negates your maternity leave (and that's with your own employer - not sure what would happen re 'moonlighting'!).

As a teacher, even KIT days are heavily regulated - when I was on mat leave last time, my work were really struggling to cover for the guy I job share with who had to go on a course. I offered to cover for a day, as a way of meeting the classes I would be teaching when I went back; I was told that I could go in for meetings etc, but that if I did ANY work connected with actual teaching, my mat leave would be over.

I have thought about tutoring - and more specifically, have looked into getting involved with online/distance learning A-Level courses as well as marking exams - but more with a view to alternatives if I decide not to go back to work after this mat leave is over.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby blossom » 21 Jan 2011, 18:59

Hmm... thanks for the advice.
Maybe if I decide to leave work it could be an option then as opposed to doing it during Mat leave.
I was only thinking of tutoring a max of two children per week so I imagined I wouldn't be an issue to anyone, but you've made some good points.
Thanks.
blossom

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Mar 2016, 21:39

Ooh sneaky Mike.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 20 Mar 2016, 02:44

I'm so worried that all the unmoderated spam will put newbies off the site and the community will grind to a halt. >:( How are we supposed to hand the legends of Mooncups and Malteser Fridge Cake on to the next generation if we can't find a way to get some active mods here?
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby junglewonderland » 20 Mar 2016, 05:25

I like your replies to the spam STJ, it's worth logging on just to see what you have written to them!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby EnigmaFish » 20 Mar 2016, 09:33

StJuniper wrote:I'm so worried that all the unmoderated spam will put newbies off the site and the community will grind to a halt. >:( How are we supposed to hand the legends of Mooncups and Malteser Fridge Cake on to the next generation if we can't find a way to get some active mods here?

I agree, but what can we do? Those of us that still care don't have the power to do anything. Those who have the power to do something no longer care. If posts in the Facebook group - where we know the mods by name - don't help, I don't know what will.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby StJuniper » 20 Mar 2016, 11:53

I know. I just feel like there has to be a way, if we could only think of it. We came close to dying out for a little bit there and it was sad, this is a place worth fighting for!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Tintin » 21 Mar 2016, 22:50

Hi, I've just spoken to Aitch about this.

She's on it, and will try her best, but it might take a bit of time because it's apparently not an easy thing to do - basically the forum software is pretty ancient so it's actually a difficult job to create new mods, plus she's really busy with work which makes it hard for her to do the aforementioned difficult job. But she will try. :)
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Next

Return to Random Thoughts