HV invited us to weaning class - UPDATE

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 22 Sep 2007, 19:00

It's better than the excuse of "it's for the starving Africans"!
TinkerbellesMum

Postby AB&M » 22 Sep 2007, 19:01

But they recommend never before 18 weeks don't they?! I don't see the point if weaning early unless they are really keen and certainly most babies wouldn't be that interested at just 16 weeks.

Makes you wonder how these people get to be health visitors!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Marie77 » 23 Sep 2007, 09:46

As to the when - if you read ten books you get ten different answers!
I decided to go with what I feel is best - got already tuted by my mum for giving Daniel broccoli - and don't care what others think.

If in twenty years time they turn out to be complete nutters then I might consider having been wrong with my parenting, not before :D
Marie
Mummy to Nicholas and Daniel

www.marie-harris.com www.myspace/mariechristineharris
Marie77

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 24 Sep 2007, 09:21

The when has changed so much as scientists have discovered new things about the development of a baby and in recovery from the introduction of commercial formula way back in the 1950s.

Formula companies (before the EU and trades description) employed scientists to tell parents that breastmilk was bad. Before then parents had been breastfeeding beyond 6 months. On the other hand formula wasn't able to sustain a baby that long, so purees came in and were given from incredibly early ages, ie a couple of weeks old.

As formula got better and scientists discovered new things about babies the age was pushed further and further back. The new research has found that most babies bodies can't handle solids before six months, although some manage a week or two before.

Parents of older babies who have been following BLW can see the logic in the idea that babies feed themselves what they are ready for. When a baby eats something they're not ready for it comes out the other end undigested, usually it was a fluke they got it in in the first place, usually helped by someone else or with it being mixed into other food.

Because of that I don't see that the age will ever change from six months now, maybe becoming more of a minimum age rather than the "maximum" age.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Aitch » 24 Sep 2007, 10:45

i'm not sure that's actually true, though, tink. i've looked and looked and i can't find any papers with evidence of actual harm caused by weaning after 4 months. before then, yes, but not after. i think the gist seems to be that milk (particularly BM) is a better food for them, basically, because it meets their nutritional needs better than a carrot puree. in fact i think that this was the basis for the whole Gill Rapley 'pureed food is harmful' mis-quote.

s far as i understand it, and bearing in mind i'm not a scientist, there is some talk of the 'virgin gut' theory/allergies etc so to be on the safe side for the maximum amount of babies (because they don't all develop at exactly the same rate) the WHO has set the 6 month guideline.

anyway, the good thing is that if you subscribe to the the BLW thinking that 'if they can pick it up and eat it, they're ready to pick it up and eat it' and bear in mind that milk is the most important thing for the first year, you don't have to worry about any of this stuff really.

after all, when gill did her wee study the majority of the babies did pick food up and eat it at 6 months anyway, which rather suggests that the guideline is a good one. :bsmile
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 24 Sep 2007, 10:57

I didn't mean that it did/does harm, but if they are too young to digest food then it is doing nothing being in their stomach but taking up space, Gill Rapley said in the webchat it:

might as well have been wallpaper paste, leaving less room for breastmilk (which she COULD digest)
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Aitch » 24 Sep 2007, 10:58

righto, tink. :D i was wondering.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby ruecaterine » 24 Sep 2007, 22:16

I went to one of these talks in a postnatal class, in order to be able to say to my skeptical MIL that I had looked into the puree option, and rejected it in an informed manner, rather than just jumped upon a band wagon.
ruecaterine

Postby Louise&Oliver » 26 Sep 2007, 10:01

Just to add my tuppence worth...I have found my HV to be so utterly useless on previous matters that I have no intention whatsoever of going to any kind of weaning talk. I have even stopped getting him weighed, as I just don't see the point. Especially since they have cut down the number of sessions they hold, and you now get about 32 seconds to get your baby undressed and on the scales, then that's it - no discussion, no time to ask questions. So I plan to just do my own sweet thing.
Louise&Oliver

Postby Marie77 » 26 Sep 2007, 10:05

I have to gove credit to our HV and baby clinic here - they are really nice and take their time and don't mind you asking millions of stupid questions. They just stay a bit on the safe side with their answers I suppose.
Marie
Mummy to Nicholas and Daniel

www.marie-harris.com www.myspace/mariechristineharris
Marie77

Postby AB&M » 26 Sep 2007, 10:50

Mine is the same. My HV, whilst not actually giving opinions, is really lovely. Always got time for you and a bit mumsy which helped when I had the baby blues at the start. She's also been around for 30 odd years so seen everything going re feeding & weaning so tends to be on the practical advice side rather than this is what you are supposed to do.

I don't see her much now as her clinic is while I'm at work.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Previous

Return to Random Thoughts