HV invited us to weaning class - UPDATE

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

HV invited us to weaning class - UPDATE

Postby Marie77 » 13 Sep 2007, 10:13

Hi all,

we just got a letter inviting us to a weaning class next week. We didn't get that with my first son, so it is new to me.
I am not sure if I should go, I know my HV is a bit on the conservative side and promotes Annabel Karmel heavily (books in my study - 4; recipes cooked from them 0 :D ).

I got some lectures last week from both in-laws as well as my mum and I don't think I want to have that again as it was quite frankly annoying and upsetting - it is my choice how to bring up my kids and people should respect that without tutting and pulling faces ( and doing the opposite behind your back!!!).

Has anyone been to an NHS weaning class recently? Just browsing their websites for BLW but the results are pretty inconclusive.

Love
Last edited by Marie77 on 17 Sep 2007, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Marie
Mummy to Nicholas and Daniel

www.marie-harris.com www.myspace/mariechristineharris
Marie77

Postby Fozza » 13 Sep 2007, 12:09

We had one as part of our postnatal classes. We were asked to bring in food we'll be giving our baby...i brought in brocolli stems!!! It didn't go down too well. The HV wasn't a fan of the WHO's 6 month rule and we disagreed from there. I was dissapointed they didn't give any info about finger foods. I guess now you are weaning (?) it might be better as at the time no one had started. I stopped seeing my HV as I knew weaning would be the next topic of conversation, I'll see her if i've got a problem. If you can't stand the fight then don't go (you sound like you have enough on your hands). On the other hand you might be surprised and meet some like minded mums.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Bigpud » 13 Sep 2007, 13:01

Hi. I went to a weaning class as part of a series of 'Healthy Tots' classes run by HVs. Pudding was only 8 weeks at the time, so I forgot much of it by 6 months. She gave us a selection of jarred baby mush then fresh stuff she'd cooked and pureed herself to illustrate the difference in taste and texture. Thing is, although the fresh stuff looked much nicer, I still couldn't face eating stuff all mushed up. That was when I decided BLW was the way for me!

My HV mentioned BLW and was quite positive about it. Thing is, you can just get the advice they give and take the bits you want to follow. You don't have to confess your BLW ways! This is my general philosophy to advice given as it's almost always well meant, but if I think it's a load of rollocks I just smile sweetly, say "thanks" or "very interesting" then do what I think is best.

In short, advice is great, but you don't have to follow it. You know what works for your baby and your family!
Bigpud

Postby Carey » 13 Sep 2007, 15:29

I came away from my post-natal course unsure of our HV's attitude to BLW. She advised starting with purees but stated that you could go onto finger foods as quickly as your baby could cope, perhaps in 2-3 days. I did ask her about BLW specifically and she replied something along the lines of: all weaning is baby-led since you have to be guided by their response. Anyway I ignored the bit about start with purees and we went straight for carrot al dente!
Carey

Postby Eleanor » 13 Sep 2007, 16:44

We had one session on weaning at "postnatal group", where indeed we all were rather postnatal - I felt a bit sorry for the HV taking the class, trying to enthuse a roomful of stoned-looking sleep-deprivation casualties with talk of how wonderful baby rice is because it's bland (yes, that is apparently a major advantage) and you can mix breastmilk or formula with it. I didn't bother mentioning BLW as she was a very by-the-book HV.

Luckily our usual HV was better, that is to say, she didn't seem to know about BLW but since P was clearly bouncy and healthy she saw no reason to interfere!
Eleanor

Postby Marie77 » 14 Sep 2007, 09:54

Thank you for all the opinions ladies!

Ma'er - unfortunately our parents are collectively stuck in the 70s when it comes to kids and they see our relaxed approach in bringing them up as the end of the Western world ... They seem to be disappointed that despite our insufficient ways we have two lovely, happy and well-mannered sons!

Carey - I like your HVs answer allweaning is baby-led that sounds very true.

I have to confess we started DS1 really early - at 14 weeks and dida mixture of purree and what we were eating. I can say it worked brilliantly with him, he is eating for himself for ages and eats everything apart from tomatoes and dried apricots and really loves his fruit and veg (she brags - sorry).

I am just worried that this way wont work with my little songbird as heis so eczema prone.

I think I will go and listen, maybe I get something more out of it than tea and biscuits :D
Marie

Marie77

Postby AB&M » 16 Sep 2007, 15:46

I went to one when Bruno was 4 months just as part of my research. She was toeing the party line on BLW - they aren't allowed to endorse or even comment on BLW due to the perceived high risk of choking. She did caveat that by saying all they could do was learn by past mistakes and mentioned the little girl who died from a cherry tomato, was that last year?

Outside of her official role, I have seen her praise babies for self feeding and playing with food so I do wonder whether she's a little bit for it...
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Marie77 » 17 Sep 2007, 09:27

Ok, I really managed to go, it took about an hour.

Our HV was neither for nor against anything, but she did tend towards the puree thing. I didn't really learn a lot I have to say and most other mums were a bit our of my age range (god I am getting so old) but it was nice to get out for a walk and get a free cuppa :-)

We were asked how and when we want to wean and I said I was thinking about BLW - prompting another mum to say "What on earth is that?"

Ah well. Glad I went but not extatic about it.
Marie

Marie77

Postby AB&M » 17 Sep 2007, 11:14

That's a shame although better than mine - we didn't even get free water over 3 hours!! The dietician showed us how to make puree so rather patronising but useful to those that perhaps are struggling with the idea.

All I learnt was the 1 person there probably wanted to do BLW but was scared off - she was really defensive about baby not accepting a spoon etc - and that I was definitely not going to do purees!

ps, just looked at your myspace - you like Dexter!! I love that programme :D

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Marie77 » 17 Sep 2007, 11:48

I love him!!!! He is so cool although I hope it doesnt say anything about our mental health that we like a programme like that lol.

I'm glad I went today just to see I didnt miss much (does that make any sense at all?!?!). They kept it short and sweet which I think is very sensible as I would have thought most mums read up on weaning anyway and if its a subsequent child you kind of know what you are in for anyway.

They are very good at our surgery, I even got cuppas when I had to wait for antenatal appointments.
Marie

Marie77

Postby *helen.a.* » 18 Sep 2007, 19:22

I have never been to a weaning class per se but was invited after the birth of my first lo to a first steps things rum by my gp surgery, at that point I had never heard of blw and as such quite happily trotted down the ak footpath collecting my own recipes on the way, however with my second child I had not only heard of but had read about blw and was quite determined to go down that road. I have the best hv in the world I think, after a few discussions as to the ins and outsof it and a wee nudge in the blw blog's direction she now actively encourages mums to wean in this manner, I think she is also thinking of putting up a wee display in her room of her blw babies!

As for other people sticking their oar in we had that with mainly the inlaws. They were convinced that I was A, starving him and B determined to choke him to death by allowing him to eat his own food himself, now they sit in awe as at 10 and a bit months old he can handle a spoon feed himself yoghurt with no assistance and is putting on weight at a healthy happy rate, he also started walking at 9 months although Im not sure the blw can take the credit for that lol. I tend to do the whole smiley nod thing when people are being very helpful with their advice, although I have been known to just go, really? thats not what the last 10 years of research has shown, just to see the look on the face of the annoying person who is telling me blw cant possibly be any good for wee man and I must try and puree the foods at least a little bit..... :scream

Have I waffled a little in this post? Sorry I do that a lot...... :oops:
*helen.a.*

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 19 Sep 2007, 09:17

I'm kind of jealous! Having a baby early I missed out on all antenatal classes, they were supposed to start the next week, and I've never had anything post natal either.

I don't understand where the whole "party line" thing comes from, the NHS weaning guide says to use finger food with mash if you want to (can't remember the exact wording) and there is so much BLW support in other areas. I found out about BLW from an NHS breastfeeding group and my HV is really supportive of it. Someone posted on the blog that their NHS Trust is promoting BLW as the way to do it, someone else said that London(?) is employing someone to support BLWing parents.

I think it's time some health professionals caught up with "the party line"!
TinkerbellesMum

Postby AB&M » 19 Sep 2007, 10:55

Can you remember who said that about London? Our dietician didn't mention this at her weaning class but maybe its new? Also my HV didn't know anything about BLW when I told her.

I am definitely not getting (or expecting really!) any support from the professionals here in London and if there is something I'd be really keen to join up if only to show that we are out there!

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 19 Sep 2007, 11:41

I can't, I'll see if I can uncover something over there.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Spottyshoes » 22 Sep 2007, 18:59

Tut tut our HV! She didnt even mention BLW. We went when babyshoes was 16 wks and was told to wean him then. (not even remotely showing signs of needing it btw). According to her the 6mth guidlines are put in place to ensure everyone reaches the 4 month mark!
This has been typical of her and I tend just to smile and nod at various health professionals then go away and do our own thing :D
Spottyshoes

Next

Return to Random Thoughts