The extras

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

The extras

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 10:58

I know why you've turned off all the extras, I hate scrolling past loads of tickers, pictures and sparklies that distract you from reading the message below.

Have a look at BabyFit though, they have limited what people can have and it looks really nice, there is a certain amount of personalisation without getting silly. They have no html in posts or sig lines, built in ticker to due date and an avatar.

I think that it can be nice to see who you are talking to or a picture of someone else's baby smeared in spag bol or eating meat with their hands (he he) and a single ticker, no sparklies, so people can show something important that interests them (I've been Baby Led Weaning for xm, xd!")
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Aitch » 31 Aug 2007, 11:55

will do, can you link? i presume you press that URL button up on the right. i am taking your comments under advisement, tink... :wink:
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 12:35

http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/

And if you do happen to join (I have a nice little BLW group going on lol) my id is the title of the pictures I sent you before.
Last edited by TinkerbellesMum on 31 Aug 2007, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Bunny » 31 Aug 2007, 12:44

Tink, is it this place?

http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/messageboard-thread.asp?imBoard=20&imparent=5808144

Sorry, but can I just say - bleeeeeuugh! :wink:

Those dreadful ticker things - ick ick. I like the idea of maybe having an avatar piccie of your child next to your name - but all those "Devoted mother to Chardonnay and Shiraz" things - ick ick ick.
Bunny

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 12:58

That's BabyFit.

Yes some people get carried away with their signatures (mines pushed the limit, I'm going to cut it down when I can be bothered), but that can be limited with a character limit - also stops multiple tickers!

I like the BabyFit ticker, it is linked to your due date club and only shows how far along you are. I don't mind one ticker, it's the ones with tons of pics on them and sparklies that are distracting.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Aitch » 31 Aug 2007, 13:23

i don't think it's that bad, tbh, i'm certainly open to persuasion on the avatar but i suppose the question i'd ask is what's the sum benefit of the tickers. i think by and large i just ignore them/find them a visual distraction, but i may be in a minority. does anyone really read them?
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 31 Aug 2007, 14:20

I think people are more likely to look at the ones of their friends to see how they are doing. I know as well that on BabyFit I look at the pregnancy tickers before I reply to a pregnancy related question so I know how far along they are and how that relates to their question and my answer.

Maybe you could allow an age one with the words "Feeding myself since I was 6 months" so that people can see how other people are doing it. For example: http://b2.lilypie.com/CItZp1.png
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Eleanor » 31 Aug 2007, 15:10

Have to say I find tickers etc pretty distracting - you can get to a point where the page is 90% graphics and you have to search through a jungle of repeating images to find out what anyone's saying. Avatars aren't so distracting because they stay off to the side out of the conversation!
Eleanor

Postby AB&M » 31 Aug 2007, 18:40

They also take AGES to download even when you have mega speed broadband so I say keep to a minimum.
AB&M

Postby bella » 01 Sep 2007, 12:32

I need to go and introduce myself properly but I have a small child currently smeared in food to deal with first... just wanted say that on most message boards I belong to, there is a feature where you can "switch off" signatures so you don't have to see them. Most people who do this are trying to save bandwith (endless pics and tickers take ages to load) but you could also do this if you don't like looking at siggies?? Just a thought - that combined with a limit to the size of a signature or of tickers etc would probably do the job?
bella

Postby hunkermunker » 01 Sep 2007, 13:00

You can have a signature file, just not tickers?

So if you wanted to write "Mum to two BLWd boys" or something in your sig file, that'd be on the end of every post, without the hideous tickerglitterfluffywoowoo stuff?

I'm ticker-averse, can you tell? :wink:
hunkermunker

Postby hunkermunker » 01 Sep 2007, 13:05

You can have a signature file, just not tickers?

So if you wanted to write "Mum to two BLWd boys" or something in your sig file, that'd be on the end of every post, without the hideous tickerglitterfluffywoowoo stuff?

I'm ticker-averse, can you tell? :wink:
hunkermunker

Postby hunkermunker » 01 Sep 2007, 14:04

Balls.

It said it hadn't posted. Some error or other. And then it said I couldn't post so close to posting the first time.

Sorry! :oops:
hunkermunker

Postby bella » 01 Sep 2007, 14:09

[quote="hunkermunker"]Balls.

It said it hadn't posted. Some error or other. And then it said I couldn't post so close to posting the first time.

Sorry! :oops:[/quote]

It's done that pretty much every time for me, so I just ignore it and assume all is well with the post.
bella

Postby Aitch » 01 Sep 2007, 14:35

yep, it was doiing it to me too. i cleared my cache (on firefox, tools then clear personal data) and it's been fine since. by the way, if it's not doing italics etc it's cos you've got disable html etc ticked. it seems to be ticked automatically and you have to untick it. look below the post, you'll see it. :D
Aitch
Site Admin

Next

Return to Random Thoughts