Babies who don't put anything in their mouths

Whatever you like, really, knock yourself out... I'm not the boss of you.

Babies who don't put anything in their mouths

Postby Rebelmum » 10 Sep 2007, 08:32

Was just wondering what your thoughts were on this, as a friend of mine has a one-year-old who (still) doesn't like putting ANYTHING in his mouth.

She weaned him the "traditional" way, and even then it was a bit of a struggle because she'd put the loaded-up spoon into his mouth and he'd just open his mouth wider so as not to have to touch it!

When I told her we were doing BLW, she said that just wouldn't have worked with her son as he'd never have picked anything up and tried to eat it.
Rebelmum

Postby Aitch » 10 Sep 2007, 09:41

goodness, that is unusual. did he never pick up and chew anything? not even toys?

i do 'know' a woman on , though, who said that BLW wouldn't have worked with her son because it later transpired that he had some degree of Special Needs which meant that he didn't have the ability to 'pattern' on other people's behaviour, which is apparently the way most of us learn. so that was an interesting example of someone for whom it wouldn't have been a good method. not that i'm saying the same thing has happened with your friend, of course, but it's an example of how not every method, however benign, is suitable for every child. :)
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 10 Sep 2007, 14:04

I agree with Aitch, there could be a reason for it that should be looked into.

He could also be an example of how purees can go wrong. He could have felt so out of control and stressed by being fed that it has caused food anxieties.

Definately either way should be looked into.
TinkerbellesMum

Postby Nutmeg » 10 Sep 2007, 16:40

goodness, as the mother of an extremely orally fixated child sometimes I wish I hadn't BLW when he picks up pieces of lint and leaves the dog drug in and sticks them in his mouth. I'm relatively certain BLW has made his Hand-mouth coordination significantly better than his peers. :scream
Nutmeg

Postby Rebelmum » 10 Sep 2007, 18:11

No, he doesn't put anything in his mouth, which is very unusual (the staff at the daycare where he is noticed it immediately as it's so strange).
I can't remember what age she started weaning him, but I'm pretty sure it was before 6 months, so maybe it did freak him out a bit. Perhaps if she'd left it longer, he would have naturally progressed to the put-it-in-my-mouth phase.

Bumble is also an "oooh, it's Thing, I wonder what it Tastes Like, let's stick it in my mouth and Find Out" kind of baby, which was one of the reasons I felt BLW would def. work for us.
:)
Rebelmum

Postby mom2levi » 11 Sep 2007, 02:36

[quote="Nutmeg"] I'm relatively certain BLW has made his Hand-mouth coordination significantly better than his peers. :scream: [/quote]

I would totally agree with this, especially as I see other little ones my sons age and watch them. In the nursery at church, it's quite amazing really. I know they all develop differently, but its been quite eye opening to see how quickly the hand-eye coordination is developing before my own eyes!
http://martha.simerson.net

Levi, 3/25/07, 8 months
mom2levi

Postby AB&M » 16 Sep 2007, 18:10

We're only 1 month in so haven't done much comparison but Bruno's coordination is coming on so well. He can even open his hand to look inside to see if he wants to stuff his palm into his mouth.

One thing I've also noticed is the passing between hands to get the stuff held in the right way so that it is possible to eat / stick in mouth better. This is helping him so much when his dummy falls out as he can put it back in even if he picks it up the wrong way :bsmile
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby raylis » 24 Sep 2007, 14:14

Hmm.. this sounds like how my SIL describes her son.

He never picked up stuff to put into his mouth when he was a baby.

At the end of the day, he just didn't know how to chew, even at 4 years old.

Hmm.. however they were feeding him purees then mashed up stuff until 4 years old.. he still now gags whenever he is fed something a little more solid.. poor little fella.. don't think BLw would've worked for him..

He now eats the same stuff his 8 month old brother is eating!
raylis

Return to Random Thoughts