Sling advice

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Sling advice

Postby LucyLastic » 25 Aug 2015, 22:40

Soooo, I have a friend (yay!) who I met a few months ago when we moved. She had just moved here too and we met while visiting a nursery. She's from Lithuania, her husband is Irish, we're all new to the area, especially her new little boy, who is 12 days old! She is getting on well,but is interested in a sling/wrap but I know nothing of these things, as my back/hips were b*ggered after SPD, etc. So, I have recommended she google 'sling libraries' but does anyone else have any more specific advice? We're in Sussex, in what is, by all accounts, the 'a*se end of nowhere'. I promised I'd ask The Wise Ones, so ai'd be grateful if you could help. Thanks in advance :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Re: Sling advice

Postby catkin » 25 Aug 2015, 22:57

At that age, i'd def say a stretchy wrap, moby or similar. But yy to finding a sling library, they'll sort her out.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby yorkshirepudding » 26 Aug 2015, 02:29

I've been using a close caboo with E, as I never got to grips with the moby (have a moby to sell!). The caboo is ok (kind of stretchy, with rings to tighten), I like that it's easy to get on, but I found I had to tighten it every so often or the whole thing and E would be slipping down. It says it's suitable for a much bigger weight than hers but at 9 weeks I started using our manduca as she now fits it. If she can get someone to show her how, a stretchy looks better for the early days.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby yorkshirepudding » 26 Aug 2015, 02:29

I've been using a close caboo with E, as I never got to grips with the moby (have a moby to sell!). The caboo is ok (kind of stretchy, with rings to tighten), I like that it's easy to get on, but I found I had to tighten it every so often or the whole thing and E would be slipping down. It says it's suitable for a much bigger weight than hers but at 9 weeks I started using our manduca as she now fits it. If she can get someone to show her how, a stretchy looks better for the early days.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Treeb » 26 Aug 2015, 02:49

Off topic, but I am clearly in denial about how quickly time passes with these little ones. Saw your post yp and thought "how is your little one 9 weeks old already?!", then realized that my A is now 11 weeks!

Back on topic: I have a ring sling, a Moby, and a mei tai, and so far the Moby it's my favorite with a tiny baby. The only downside is we both get hot and sweaty in this warm summer weather, so I haven't actually been using it as much as I wanted to.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby yorkshirepudding » 26 Aug 2015, 07:17

I know, E is 10 weeks now! You'd be ok in the UK Treeb, it's miserable weather here.The close caboo is much cooler than a moby or the manduca.
yorkshirepudding

Postby Lily » 26 Aug 2015, 07:47

I'm with yp on the caboo - it was very user-friendly at first, but very soon got irritatingly saggy. If she can manage a Moby or similar, that would be a longer-term option. I moved Bee into the Manduca as soon as her legs were long enough, at about 3 months.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Marrow » 26 Aug 2015, 10:29

Would Worthing be any help? I've got friend there who's a slingy sort.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby EnigmaFish » 26 Aug 2015, 11:18

Defintely a stretchy with a newborn: they're great for snuggles. I had a Moby but I would recommend a JPMBB (Je Porte Mon Bebe) as the best brand. They have a longer life, as they hold a larger baby. They're also the only stretchy approved for back carries.
Some buckles are also good for newborns. I know the Manduca has a newborn insert, and it will grow with the baby. Kleintje still fits in one.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Baby-Led Transport