recommend me a ssc please

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

recommend me a ssc please

Postby CaelaCoo » 18 Jul 2015, 10:25

I am looking into getting an ssc for Connor. Currently have a Kari me wrap.

I quite like the look of the Mei tai....good or bad?

Please make some suggestions
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Re: recommend me a ssc please

Postby catkin » 18 Jul 2015, 12:01

A mei tai is not quite an SSC - SSC clips on, mei tai is tie straps. I've had both and loved them. I found a mei tai slightly more faff to get on but very very comfy; though my favourite buckles were super soft and comfy too.

For a little one, I think a thinner mei tai like a babyhawk is good; as they get older you may want more padding, we had an old melkaj with super soft thick cord straps.

I'm not an expert though, just what worked for us! Do you have a sling library near you? Our NCT run one where you can go and try on different things and hire one for a week to see if you like it.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby Kanga » 18 Jul 2015, 18:19

We've got an action baby carrier that we both get on with. I used a mei tai with dd & the ssc is definitely easier to use.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Marrow » 18 Jul 2015, 18:22

Some people like wide fabric straps - a mei tai or woven wrap works. Others (me!) like padded ruck-sack style straps and a big padded waist band. I'm an SSC person.

There are lots of both sorts to choose from. Can you get to a sling library? Or do postal hire? (I didn't when I bought mine - I just bought them in the expectation that the drop in value if I had to sell them straight on was worth avoiding the faff. Now I have a local one it's great!)
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby yorkshirepudding » 18 Jul 2015, 20:04

I love my Manduca. Used it with Moo until he was 2 and only stopped cos of being pregnant. I never put the effort into getting used to putting him in a back carry as he got on and off so often on dog walks, and it was fine with him in a front carry except when he had a bobble hat on! I would probably put him in a back carry now, but he's out of the habit of using it and I'm carrying little E in a different sling at the mo.

Would second trying them out if you can, I thought I would get an ergo after reading online but at the sling library the Manduca was loads more comfy because the ergo straps were more curved whereas the Manduca straps are straight and so they don't make you fit them, if that makes sense?!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 18 Jul 2015, 20:05

I'm using a rose and rebellion at the moment which I really like. I also have a patapum which is suitable from 5 months which is also fab. Really tho I second finding a library. Slings are a big outlay and I have certainly benefitted from trying before I buy
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Jul 2015, 20:20

I started with a moby and quickly moved on to an ergo as the wee one was a weight baby and I never felt I could get him tight enough. I love my ergo, it's the comfiest ssc I have tried and I'm still using it at 15 months.

Though I would get out and try as many as you can for comfort. I liked the ergo as it was comfiest for me but I think it depends on your body shape really!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby CaelaCoo » 18 Jul 2015, 20:38

I'm going to have to get to a sling library arnt I....that's going tone a PITA as its half an hour drive away and I don't drive -.-

I'll work something out. In the meantime thank you for your opinions
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Postby Marrow » 18 Jul 2015, 20:51

itsaslingthing.co.uk do postal hire, if that's a better option than a long drive.
Marrow

Postby mamapup » 18 Jul 2015, 22:22

Definitely hire. We didn't as our sling library is miles away. I bought a couple and little Croc hated them both, from day one. She loathed slings. Meant we never used them much so that was a total waste of money!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 19 Jul 2015, 06:13

We have a manduca which monkeyboy loved. He was even carried on my back when I was quite pregnant. After a certain age squidge (who lived in a stretchy as a proper baby) hated the manduca. I think he just feels too restricted.

So now the two slings we have on the go are a toddler tula for monkeyboy when he gets too tired, and a ring sling for squidge - because I can get it on him by stealth by looping it over him as I pick him up to carry him on my hip, and then tighten it as we walk. It's not as good for my back as an SSC but a whole load better for my arms than carrying using just them!

So, yeah - different kids like different things!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby bigcatmaniac » 19 Jul 2015, 07:37

Where are you CC? I really benefitted by borrowing Marrow's Manduca and a friend' Ergo to try them against each other before deciding on the Ergo.

I'd be happy to lend you this if you want to try it as I don't use it that much anymore. Dd2 kept biting me in a forward carry position when teething and I've got out the habit of taking it out with me. Must try her in a back carry and see if she likes it.

Pm me if you are interested in borrowing it.

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby mamapup » 19 Jul 2015, 08:41

I have a barely used weego carrier you can have for postage if you like. My kids never liked being carried facing in so it was used about four times in total. Already sold the manduca and wraps (sigh) but this is still hanging around. It's blue and looks new.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Marrow » 19 Jul 2015, 09:08

You might find a bricks and mortar Ergo stockist as well. I think John Lewis do them? It's not the same as borrowing, but might give you an idea.
Marrow

Postby CaelaCoo » 19 Jul 2015, 11:28

Thank you for the sling website...cant believe how many there are.

How much for the weego mp? Might ne interested
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Next

Return to Baby-Led Transport