what to wear with a sling?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

what to wear with a sling?

Postby busmother » 28 May 2015, 15:18

I'm sure this has been asked before, but can't find it. I am loving my Kari-me stretchy wrap but struggling a bit with what's best to wear both for me and for baby. He's usually in a vest and babygro, so I've been adding a hat and bootees as the bits that stick out. But sometimes he seems much too hot if we're inside a lot (minus hat and bootees). Any suggestions for better outfits - maybe something more flexible if he's in and out a lot?
For me, I'm breastfeeding and haven't managed to do it with the sling on, which means totally retying it after every time I feed as I can't remember which strap went where. I have one nursing dress with holes which I could see working, but last time managed to avoid buying any special nursing clothing - just a long vest that came down and a loose top that came up over it. What works for other people? It may just be particularly tricky at the moment because he's small and snotty so doesn't latch on very firmly. I need two hands and a good view, but any advice as to what others wear with their sling would be very welcome.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Re: what to wear with a sling?

Postby Marrow » 28 May 2015, 16:37

I never had much success feeding in a stretchy, but with my Manduca I found BF tops with slits or clips actually worth the money.

Clothes wise, C spent most of her first few months in just a nappy in the stretchy, and I was in just a bra (to hold the pads!) unless I was going out. The hotness of the stretchy (and the disasterousness of it needing laundering) were the main reasons for buying the Manduca.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby EnigmaFish » 28 May 2015, 18:51

Yes, if you're warm enough, wear as little clothing as possible while wearing a stretchy. They're great for skin to skin, since they keep you both warm. A cardigan for you and socks and hay for baby can be thrown on over the wrap if you get cold.
If I did wear a top, I usually just wore something with a low neckline and scooped a breast out the top. The sling fabric provided a little extra coverage, like a loose top layer would.
It's worth practicing with a teddy until you get the knack of taking the baby in and out. Breastfeeding in a stretchy wrap is one thing. Some people can do it and some can't. However, it should at least allow you to easily pop him out and then back in again for a feed.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby emzit » 28 May 2015, 19:34

I work squish a lot in early days in just a little bodysuit or vest with leg warmers. I love a baby in leg warmers. And a vest for me with a cardigan.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby joereadpk » 02 Jul 2015, 23:01

I heard Kangawrap are releasing a baby wrap cardigan this year which would certainly help! You can read more about it here:

http://kangawrap.co.uk/blog/kangawrap-kardi-research/
joereadpk

Postby MamaKh » 03 Jul 2015, 02:23

Obviously not in season now I found this new Cold weather Cover by MaM, I think the makers of Maduka? This is a Swedish site so maybe try google translate, it has good pictures though and if interesting for the fall I'm sure it must be available elswhere as well. The price is only about € 30! Much easier than dressing baby warm in the cold season.
http://knyt-an.se/barskydd-och-dubbelfuskpolo/mam-cold-weather-insert/
Mother of DS1 July 2012, DS2 Sept 2015
BF, Co Sleeping, Sling, EC, BLW, Active parenting, all inspirations and aspirations
MamaKh

Postby mindy » 28 Jul 2015, 22:18

I'm struggling with clothes and sling wearing- I'm a dresses and skirts kind of girl, never ever wear jeans, and my slings all look a bit odd. Also find that my dresses get quite tucked up - not helped by the rather large tum I appear to have gained post pregnancy!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Return to Baby-Led Transport