Stretchy wraps and wind??

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Stretchy wraps and wind??

Postby Lily » 25 Apr 2015, 14:50

I've been using my stretchy a lot with Bee - she loves it and usually settles immediately once she's in. But although she sleeps well in it, when she wakes it's often very sudden, with a cry of discomfort, rather than a gradual surfacing from sleep. I think she might be having trouble with trapped wind, as she's often quite windy when I get her out. It seems counterintuitive to me, though, as I'd have thought that the vertical frog-legged position would help to clear wind. Any thoughts or tips gratefully received.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Re: Stretchy wraps and wind??

Postby junglewonderland » 27 Apr 2015, 05:33

I find this too, a sudden cry and wriggle. But if I take JB's head out of the wrap for a minute he usually settles down. I haven't noticed he's windy when coming out but I will keep an eye out.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby pirate_han » 27 Apr 2015, 07:31

I didnt get the cry of discomfort but I remember A being quite windy once he got out of the Moby. It hasn't happened recently but my sleep-deprived brain can't remember quite when it stopped, sorry!
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby DandelionFrosting » 27 Apr 2015, 10:03

You know, it could actually be that she's peeing. Apparently a lot of babies pass wind when they're peeing, and also a lot of babies refuse to pee when they're being worn. They're born with instincts not to pee anywhere they might get stuck lying in the puddle for a long time. So not on their caregiver and not in their bed. Zilla used to do something similar -- suddenly wailing to be let out and after a minute or so being perfectly OK with being put back in -- and I eventually figured out that she was peeing when I took her out. She actually held it for several hours sometimes when I was wearing her, even though she went like every 15 minutes when she was put down. Apparently that's normal, it's just that nobody notices these days because diapers are so good at what they do.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby Lily » 28 Apr 2015, 18:47

Thanks all. That's really interesting, DF, and makes definite sense, although I don't think I'm up for ECing a newborn right now. She was calmer on waking today, so maybe whatever it is won't last too long, anyway.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Return to Baby-Led Transport