Recommend me a summer mei tai?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Recommend me a summer mei tai?

Postby Biddy » 07 Apr 2015, 15:46

I don't know why but third baby around and I'm finding wraparound slings uncomfortable and awkward - and hot! I have a Calin Bleu which is thinner for summer but the material isn't comfy for either of us and it's just not wide enough to feel safe and comfortable over my rather chubby baby.

So I'm looking for something simple to wear and cool in summer. What I'd love is an SSC but I really can't afford even a pre-loved one. So I'm thinking a mei tai might be the answer. Second-hand ones are much cheaper and I may even be able to afford a new one. But looking on eBay there are so many different types and I have absolutely no idea where to start. Any ideas? Which brand is good quality? Comfortable? Has a thinner option for summer?
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Re: Recommend me a summer mei tai?

Postby t&n's mummy » 07 Apr 2015, 17:15

Following with interest as I suspect we might be in the same boat in the summer...

I quite like the look of the hop tye, as it is wrap straps, but I am thinking not as hot as actual wrap.

Palm and pond are cheap but not great for older babies.

That is the extent of my knowledge...
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby t&n's mummy » 07 Apr 2015, 17:22

If you are on fb, try looking at the page "affordable slings for sale or swap," some great second hand things there.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby Mummyto1 » 07 Apr 2015, 18:05

I had a MT (which I'm afraid I've now sold) which was made with solaveil in the main back panel - that really thin sunproof fabric. It was the most heat-friendly sling I found (though I usually wrapped so didn't use it loads). I found it on the natural mamas FSOT boards and sold it there too. You might have some luck if you search for solarveil?
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Lily » 07 Apr 2015, 18:18

How confident are you with a sewing machine? My mei tai is homemade, from a lovely Japanese cotton, and I'm looking forward to getting it out again this summer. The advantage of DIY is that you can make adaptations - mine has big scoops out of the sides, to improve airflow, and the padding in the straps is exactly where I need it and nowhere else, to minimise bulk. There are some good patterns online to start you off.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby emzit » 08 Apr 2015, 12:34

Baby hawk on eBay is cheap but good, I've been told. Our local group leader likes Hop-ties the best.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby EnigmaFish » 08 Apr 2015, 22:57

I've got a BabyHawk, and it would be good for summer. I really like it, but there's one thing I don't like: it hasn't got a sleep hood. Other than that, I love it. It's a heavy material, but it's very breathable. We got the toddler size, and it already fits Newt, who is small for her age, but can also carry Kleintje in a pinch, and she's average size.
Any brands you see on eBay, do a search for reviews of them as I know there are some dodgy ones out there.
But yeah, if you can get a BabyHawk secondhand, it's a good choice.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Biddy » 14 Apr 2015, 16:57

Thanks so much for the replies. I've had a look on eBay and babyhawk seems to be one of the most expensive mei tai, the auctions are all finishing out of my budget unfortunately. But maybe it's worth the extra for the quality?
I'll keep checking the auctions anyway, might catch a fluke bargain. Will check natural mamas too.
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby EnigmaFish » 14 Apr 2015, 23:02

Yeah, they're not cheap. I actually ended up buying mine direct from BabyHawk in the states. They have a clearance section on their website which was almost the same price as getting a secondhand one over here. I'm hoping this means they hold their value well when I go to sell mine. :wink:
I ended up with BabyHawk pq I borrowed one from the Babywearing Ireland sling library and loved it. Which gives me another idea: you could look for one in the Irish market if you don't mind paying the postage. There's a FSOT group on Facebook. There's also a very good secondhand website here called adverts.ie. I see there are actually a couple of people selling BabyHawk mei tais at the moment. Might be worth a look.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Baby-Led Transport