Breaking in a woollen ring sling?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Breaking in a woollen ring sling?

Postby mindy » 24 Mar 2015, 23:20

My beautiful new Yaro ring sling has arrived, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by it! The shoulder isn't pleated, so there is a fair bit of fabric on the shoulder. Also, being non-stripy makes tightening it a bit trickier. Obviously I still have a big bump, so I'm not getting a realistic picture!

Anyway, back to the question - do I need to break it in - how do I know if I do? Apparently it needs to be hand washed and line dried, so I'm not over keen on washing it unless I have to.

Any tips/thoughts/experiences re breaking in or wearing gratefully received.....
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Re: Breaking in a woollen ring sling?

Postby Mummyto1 » 25 Mar 2015, 07:49

You can knot and unknot it lots of times to get it softer (I can't remember the term people use for this - braiding?) or you can lie it flat under your sheet on your bed, stick it on the sofa - anywhere it will get sat on a lot.

Washing can help (followed by the above) but I wouldn't bother in your case. Can you tie it somewhere so your older children can use it as a hammock? It is basically use that will make it softer and easier to handle so until baby arrives you can be creative!
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby mindy » 26 Mar 2015, 21:22

Thankyou M21, I've started knotting it and an going to sleep on it for a few nights - hopefully I will feel a bit less daunted by it if it's a bit more mailable.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby emzit » 27 Mar 2015, 08:13

You can use it to wrap your bump too, which will also give you a bit of support there.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Return to Baby-Led Transport