Sling for a newborn?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Sling for a newborn?

Postby Treeb » 02 Mar 2015, 20:02

Help please! I intended to do babywearing with L when he was little, but he didn't like it, we never got into the habit of it, etc. etc. so I'm still pretty much a newbie. However, I do think it will make life a lot easier if I can wear the new baby when she arrives in June!

I have a Moby and a Mei Tai, both of which I used a bit with L when he was small, but not a ton. I know these both can be used with a newborn, but I'd kind of like something that is quicker and easier to just pop on if I'm wearing the baby around in the house for a little while, which is why I'm thinking about getting a sling. What's the difference between a ring sling and a non-ring sling - is one better than the other? It will most likely be just me using it, so no need to get one that would fit both me and dh.

Also, since she is due in June I will likely want to wear her around quite a bit while we are outdoors in the summer time. I'm sure the Moby would be very hot and sweaty for this, especially since it is a black one! What sort of carriers/fabrics are better for keeping cool?

And, I'm in the U.S., but does anyone have recommendations for a specific brand or specific place to buy from? I've partially considered buying one from etsy. I've also thought about the possibility of getting a pattern and some fabric and requesting one of my more sewing-inclined family members to make one for me, though I'm not really sure how the cost of this would compare to just buying one. Thoughts?
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Re: Sling for a newborn?

Postby busmother » 02 Mar 2015, 20:21

I am in no way an expert as slinging was tricky with twins, but I did have a ring sling which I really liked. It's a bit like a hammock with the two ends joined through two rings to make a buckle at your shoulder. Very easy to put the baby in and out of, as they just lie in it so you just tuck them in and scoop them out as necessary. However my lovely sister has said she will get me a Karrime stretchy sling which she thought was better because though it's also easy to put baby in and out of, it holds them more securely against your body so you can do stuff round the house, play with your older children etc without worrying about the baby sloshing about.
Sure someone with some first hand experience will be along soon.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby Kanga » 02 Mar 2015, 20:26

My ds was a June baby & I got a lighter weight stretchy (a wrapsody) and I used to use a pre-tie. So the wrap was tied on me most of the time and the baby could just pop in and out. It would work with a moby too, but as you say might be a bit warm.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Marrow » 02 Mar 2015, 20:40

How do you feel about buckles? They are very easy and quick to get on and off. Not sure how hot it gets where you are, but something like a Connecta Solarweave might be a good option if it is really hot. I bought my Manduca as my second sling (already had a Kari Me stretchy), and even that was much cooler than the stretchy - there's a lot more air flow.

I only got my ring sling when C was a lot older, but once they are at the stage when you naturally want to carry them on your hip, a ring sling is great. Not so sure how useful it would be for a younger baby (compared to the other options - it's certainly doable if a ring sling is what you have). It does one thing (sling round you like a sash, with baby/child on front, side or back) very well, but that's it. A woven wrap is much more versatile, but trickier / more time consuming to tie.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby mamapup » 02 Mar 2015, 22:06

busmother wrote:I am in no way an expert as slinging was tricky with twins, but I did have a ring sling which I really liked. It's a bit like a hammock with the two ends joined through two rings to make a buckle at your shoulder. Very easy to put the baby in and out of, as they just lie in it so you just tuck them in and scoop them out as necessary. However my lovely sister has said she will get me a Karrime stretchy sling which she thought was better because though it's also easy to put baby in and out of, it holds them more securely against your body so you can do stuff round the house, play with your older children etc without worrying about the baby sloshing about.
Sure someone with some first hand experience will be along soon.

We really didn't like the karrime but did quite like the moby as it was less stretchy So we didn't feel as if the baby was swinging at our knees.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emzit » 02 Mar 2015, 22:32

LOVED my ring along with squish when he was tiny - especially handy for out and about. I have a Sakura Bloom 100% linen so it's cool. People say linen is tough to break in but I never found mine too beastly.

Definitely go for a RS rather than a padded sling that isn't adjustable. Non adjustable slings are hit or miss - they have to fit perfectly or you'll struggle so a RS is perfect to make sure it's comfy for both of you.

I'd recommend buying a RS rather than making your own - it's totally doable but the material needs to be the right sort and it will probably take more time to break in. You want it to be as easy to use as possible straight away. Are you on the Babywearig Swap on FB? That's a sales group where you can probvaly get a good deal on something already broken in.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Mar 2015, 11:16

Kanga wrote:My ds was a June baby & I got a lighter weight stretchy (a wrapsody) and I used to use a pre-tie. So the wrap was tied on me most of the time and the baby could just pop in and out. It would work with a moby too, but as you say might be a bit warm.

This what I did - my moby was my main top and wore a vest top underneath during hot weather. However considering I am in Scotland it's debatable how warm that actually was :)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby RedRum » 03 Mar 2015, 13:16

I didn't wear R as a newborn so I'm kind of a newb too. I have ordered a stretchy wrap from here for the reasons you mention (that I figured a moby would probably be a bit hot and sweaty in the summer). I also have a pouch sling which I used for hip carries when R was a bit bigger, and will try for newborn cradle carries, and a mei tei which I loved for both back and front carries.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Treeb » 03 Mar 2015, 19:29

Thanks everyone, I will have a look at the different things you have mentioned. :)
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby EnigmaFish » 03 Mar 2015, 22:47

I have a Moby, and used it from newborn with a summer baby. It was hot.
However, what it was great at was being both a shirt and a sling. I put Newt in it wearing only a nappy and I wore nothing under the Moby. So, we got lots of skin to skin and we sweated some. Luckily, the Moby is very easy to wash.
I've never done a ring sling pq, for my tastes, they're too limited. I have a mei tai for older babies. The third sling I own is a mesh water wrap, which I bought on etsy from beachfrontbaby. That might be worth considering if you live in an area that gets really hot in summer. I wouldn't find it supportive enough now, for my 6kg-ish baby, but it might suit a newborn. We use ours in the swimming pool, where it doesn't need to support as much weight and is fantastic.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby pimento » 04 Mar 2015, 09:03

I have heard good things about Calin Bleu as a lightweight wrap but don't have any experience of using them.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Return to Baby-Led Transport