Bike Trailer Recommendation?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Bike Trailer Recommendation?

Postby qbm » 08 Nov 2014, 17:34

We've been trying to work out the best way to get both girls to nursery when WB starts in February and we think a trailer might do it. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend one that both girls could ride in? Are there any that fold down easily? OH plans to take both girls to nursery in the morning in the trailer then leave it locked to the bike rack at nursery (if the bike rack has been built by then that is). I'd collect the girls in the car after work and OH could pick the trailer up when he gets off the train and bring it home empty...

Also, SG is 3 and a bit. What age/weight would you have to stop using it?

Oh and, not sure whether it's relevant, but the vast majority of the journey is on a canal path with very little on the road.

Thanks in advance!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Re: Bike Trailer Recommendation?

Postby ToothFairy » 08 Nov 2014, 18:29

We have a Kid Croozer 2 I think it pretty much fits your bill.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby mamapup » 08 Nov 2014, 18:59

We are thinking exactly the same and considering christiania bikes if nursery give us permission to leave the thing there in the day. Argh, this is a.nightmare,.right?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Rahgamuffin » 09 Nov 2014, 07:07

We have two - a hard bottomed bellelli double and a Burley D'lite. The D'lite is our preference, it is light, easy to attach to both bikes without adjusting anything and folds pretty flat (the wheels come off easily too, if you want to take it away with you ever). There are loads of options with front/back mesh/open/shut and it has good wind/rain protection and plenty of space for nursery/work bags. The D'lite is fairly light, easy to pull and takes corners/bumps well.

About 2 miles of our commute is along a river path and it floods/has big puddles semi regularly in the autumn/winter and then we use the Bellelli because the bottom is sealed - in the D'lite there are small holes where the water comes round their feet - its fine for small puddles or a bit of spray, but a few inches of water and it just floods in. It is a fairly unusual circumstance but worth a mention ;) Otherwise, it is harder to attach (you need a bike bit for both bikes) and heavier with less boot space...

Both fit in the boot of a focus estate.
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby qbm » 09 Nov 2014, 11:02

mamapup wrote:We are thinking exactly the same and considering christiania bikes if nursery give us permission to leave the thing there in the day. Argh, this is a.nightmare,.right?

It's certainly not cheap, is it?! Having children I mean... :)

Thanks for the recommendations - they both look pretty good. We are a bit :scream about spending such a lot of money on it though. My nan gave us an early Christmas cheque last week (a large one - she didn't say why but I suspect she wants to give us some of our inheritance while she is around to see it) so I suppose some of it could be used for that.

Can I just ask how much you use it? If we only used it for the nursery drop it would be used on a Wednesday and Thursday morning... No more. I'd be keen to use it more though.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Rahgamuffin » 10 Nov 2014, 06:32

ebay?

Our use varies - when B&J were both at nursery, we'd use it Mon-Thurs, there and back, and for J whenever we went on a bike ride with B (a fairly frequent happening), around 30-35 miles a week?. At the moment (While I'm on Mat leave) J goes in it up to nursery, I pick him up in the car & chuck the trailer in the boot - both B&J bike and L is still on the bike seat, it probably does about 20 miles a week.

Once L is in the trailer and I'm back at work, J&L will go in it to nursery & home again, then L will go into it for the school run & back (a scary number of miles I'm not thinking about yet! January is ages away, right?)
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby busmother » 11 Nov 2014, 10:04

Not sure what model we have - we've lent it to friends as it was getting too heavy to tow two four year olds, but we used it a lot for weekend family cycle rides, trips to the allotment, really useful for loading with shopping / hauling stuff locally instead of using the car as well as with children. We could just about fit their balance bikes in the compartment at the back if we had the pushing handle attached, so we used it to get to places that were too far for them to cycle, but nice when we got there. Friend is still using it happily for her four year old and two year old, so it is just a weight issue that limits when you stop using it.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby qbm » 11 Nov 2014, 20:19

Thanks R & bm. Very helpful! Good to hear we'd get a good few years out of it.

We are going to keep an eye on gumtree between now and February and if we don't see one we'll just shell out with some of my nan's money. I love the idea of using it more and I'm sure we will - I'm not a confident cyclist though and we live up a steep hill so that may work against us :) OH is a cyclist so I'm sure he'll manage!

Thanks again for all the advice.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby salj1980 » 12 Nov 2014, 07:32

Sportpursuit.com have WeeRide seats and tag-along bikes on sale at the moment, I think the email said 40% off.
salj1980

Postby BacktoSaz » 29 Nov 2014, 15:55

We're selling our double bike trailer (Chariot CX) at the moment if anybody is interested. We stopped using it with J this summer (when he was nearly 5).

It's fairly well-used but in good working order. If anybody is interested then PM me and I'll send you the link to the gumtree ad. We'd sell it for less to somebody on here. :D
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Return to Baby-Led Transport