baby bike transport for a wobbly cyclist

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

baby bike transport for a wobbly cyclist

Postby busmother » 04 Nov 2014, 10:07

I know I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself here since baby doesn't arrive until April, but thinking it would be good to start keeping an eye out. I'm not the world's most confident cyclist, and my balance isn't great, but since the buses have been on pedal bikes they are really keen and I've been doing a lot more cycling, which I'd like to be able to continue after no 3 arrives. DH is keen on a trailer so we can cart all the junk around as well (buckets, spades, shopping...) which I can see might be easier when actually cycling, but I'm a bit concerned about all the bits where we can't go on the road and I'm wheeling the bike along the pavement while the buses cycle, and I think a trailer might be a bit awkward. I like the idea of the ones where they sit in front, but just wondered what anyone else's experience was.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Re: baby bike transport for a wobbly cyclist

Postby Rahgamuffin » 04 Nov 2014, 14:25

We love our trailer, but we use it more for 'commuting', so we're either biking or the kids aren't in it (we don't go along any pavements etc.) and it would be a pain on a pavement (we have a double, but I'm not sure a single would be any better).

We also have a back seat for until they are big enough to go in the trailer, and I would say its much harder than the trailer in terms of balance - I know a lot of people swear by them, but I find the weight distribution is harder to manage (e.g. standing up and pedalling is a no go). I've only used a front seat once and I found it awkward, but I found the trailer and back seat awkward at first, so you may well get used to it quite quickly.

Also once with J someone knocked me off (He was in the trailer) and he didn't even wake up - she was horror struck (She thought she'd killed him) but the worst injury was my hands. Also, the trailer offers rain/wind protection.
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby Lioncub's mama » 04 Nov 2014, 15:15

We have a front seat and a back seat (and now a lovely cargo trike, which is totally amazing :D - but thats only because we still need to cart two around, we wouldn't really be able to justify the expense otherwise...). The front seat is definitely easier than the back seat in terms of balance - we've found it great for a smaller one - and its lovely that you can chat as you peddle along. It does mean you have to stick your knees out a bit when cycling though. I think you'd be fine as long as you have your seat low enough to put your feet down comfortably.
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby Singale » 04 Nov 2014, 15:51

Love love love our bakfiets. Enough said. :D :D :D
http://bakfiets.nl/nl/

Also, they have a carseat group 0+ adaptor so the tiniest of babies can also come along.
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby busmother » 06 Nov 2014, 10:42

Singale, I would LOVE one of those. But sadly don't have anywhere to keep it. We have a small front garden with a bike locker that just fits our two adult bikes and a folded down trailer. Can see we might end up having to get both for different scenarios. Ho hum.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby mamapup » 06 Nov 2014, 13:22

Ooh good timing. We have been looking at the christiania trailers. There's a place in London to go and try out the different models. Can't wait.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lioncub's mama » 06 Nov 2014, 14:03

MP we got a christiania cargo trike (with a box on the front rather than a trailer) from green cycles. They aren't cheap but it is fantastic.
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Return to Baby-Led Transport