Stretchy or woven?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Stretchy or woven?

Postby mindy » 03 Nov 2014, 22:02

I've almost convinced myself I need a stretchy wrap, but common sense tells me we would get more long-term use out of a woven. What do you all recommend? And if it is a stretchy, can anyone recommend a lighter weight one for summer? Thank you for your help, I'm clueless!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Re: Stretchy or woven?

Postby Kitcameron » 03 Nov 2014, 22:25

I have a stretchy wrap which I love, much better for a newborn I think, or maybe that's cos half the time I've got it too tight or too loose to start with lol. Chunker Munker is 5 months and I think I'm going to get a different sling for Christmas but not decided quite what yet, thinking Sleepy Nico or Mai Tai possibly. Stretchy wrap not so much good after 6 months as they start to get heavier and it stretches too much lol. Woven might last longer, I don't know cos haven't used one, apart from trying out a friends when CM was newborn but might not be as comfy early on.

My stretchy is a Victoria sling lady from Ebay and I think it cost about £18 when new. If I get a new one for Christmas you can have my stretchy if you like, it's gone through two kids but not massively over used or anything as Slinky Malinky was a few months old when we got it.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Kanga » 03 Nov 2014, 23:41

What kc said. I haven't used a woven but have a wrapsody stretchy which I love for a newborn. I think it is lighter than a money but I'm not sure. Like kc said a woven round last longer. I think I stopped using my stretchy when ds was 4 months as he was too heavy.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby emzit » 04 Nov 2014, 00:47

I didn't use a stretchy but had squish in a woven from around 6 weeks and a RS from 3 weeks. You can always get a stretchy and sell on to fund a woven once it's not supportive enough.

I started out with an Ellaroo which was great as it is a bit narrower so easy for wrapping newbies, and I also have a Neobulle which I really rate. Very soft from the biz with no need to break in. Is there a UK BST group on Fb? You'd probably be best joining there to see what people are selling.

I have heard that the wrapsodies are a bit lighter but any stretchy will be hot due to the nature of the material. Wovens too!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby t&n's mummy » 04 Nov 2014, 07:08

I had a Victoria the sling lady one from Amazon for about £10 so worth it! Then later moved to a woven, about 6 months. It was used every day from day 1, I def got my money's worth.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby mindy » 04 Nov 2014, 22:06

I would love to try your pre- loved stretchy please KC, if/when you are ready to let it go let me know how much you want for it. Lots of ideas here , thanks all - the neobulle wraps are beautiful, but all the wovens seem to be quite expensive, I will try to find a sling meet locally to see what feels right.
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby emzit » 05 Nov 2014, 00:27

See if you can find a Facebook buy/sell/trade group, there's often good bargains there. Our Oz one sometimes has people giving away wraps so there might be some you can enter there too. Sorry I only know the high end one in the UK so I can't point you in the right direction!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby fourweewonders » 05 Nov 2014, 06:15

you can pick up strechys really cheap (sometimes free) so dont worry too much about getting one and it not having longevity, worry about getting hooked and needing 17 expensive woven wraps ;)
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Nov 2014, 07:36

No worries Mindy, think she'll be out of it by Christmas, and tbf I've also got my friends Moby at the minute so if she isn't we can keep hold of that one and I'll post you mine.
Kitcameron

Postby emzit » 05 Nov 2014, 08:25

fourweewonders wrote:you can pick up strechys really cheap (sometimes free) so dont worry too much about getting one and it not having longevity, worry about getting hooked and needing 17 expensive woven wraps ;)

This! This is my problem!

I'm more than halfway there :oops:
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby mindy » 05 Nov 2014, 14:37

This is definitely a real concern........!
mindy

Postby Tintin » 05 Nov 2014, 19:52

Hahaha, yes the world of wovens can get addictive and expensive. But honestly, it doesn't have to. I know a lot of people are put off because of the publicity/hype/chatter that surrounds the expensive/trendy/newest ones, but there are lots of decent, good quality, inexpensive wovens out there. It's a buyers market - some preloaded ones are going for ridiculous prices (cheap, I mean) compared to even 2 years ago a s long as you're not looking to get in on the current favourites, you'll easily pick up a woven for a reasonable price. On FB, there's an Affordable Slings group as well as lots of others - BWFSOT, Slings 'n' Things FSOT, Slings for Sale... Of course, everyone has a different idea of what's a reasonable price, but trust me, as someone who's currently trying to destash, things just aren't moving! If it's not the on-trend brand, buyers aren't biting unless it's a real bargain. Lots of sellers are selling at way below what they paid, buyers are making cheeky offers well under the price that's being asked for, and every other post has a price reduction or Make Me An Offer on it!
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby mindy » 05 Nov 2014, 22:17

That's an interesting viewpoint Tintin, I shall certainly have a look for those sites. I didn't manage to baby wear the first two much as the spd hung around for about 6 months post natal, so I am desperately hoping this time will be different. Also , I used a Bjorn, which I now know wasn't the best choice, and I think it being so bulky and unsupportive contributed to it not bring used much. I'm hoping that even if the spd happens again, using a stretchy wrap will support me as well as the baby, to get me through until my pelvis is stable enough to move on to a woven.

Well, that's the plan, which leaves me many months to drool and deliberately over the amazing selection of beautiful slings out there!
mindy

Postby Kitcameron » 06 Nov 2014, 15:37

When are you due?

The stretchy can be good for supporting bump whilst pg. I was gutted that I couldnt find mine cos the spd was so bad and I was told it would be really good to support bump. If you message me your address I'll try getting mine in the post fairly soon. I did notice last night that Chunker Munker is getting a bit too much of a chunker and is slipping down in it lol. The Moby is a bit better cos it's wider but that belongs to a friend.
Kitcameron

Postby mindy » 07 Nov 2014, 16:11

Not due for ages, am only 9 weeks! So no rush at all, after Christmas will be fine a la your original plan. Am just getting excited by the whole wrap thing! Really appreciate your offer , thank you. Will send you my address now anyway , then it's done. Thank you!
mindy

Next

Return to Baby-Led Transport