tell me about single buggies

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

tell me about single buggies

Postby busmother » 01 Oct 2014, 19:22

DH is set on getting another Mountain Buggy. We had a fantastic double, which I loved, but it is a tank, and I do like the idea that this time I can have something a bit nippier that doesn't take up the entire bus. While still being able to push it with comfort one-handedly across a muddy park. But I know there's a whole other world of single buggies out there, so thought I might start here for some guidance. Oh, and we'd like it to have a carrycot or some kind of pram setting where you can see them when they're tiny, and just park them in the hall in it to snooze.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Re: tell me about single buggies

Postby mamapup » 01 Oct 2014, 19:27

Well if you want one with a pram option too you may find it expensive, heavy and unwieldy tbh. Best thing we did buggy wise was move ours in to maclarens asap. The techno is technically from birth but we regularly had little croc in it from 3 months, maybe. Could you find someone to borrow from to begin with buy a lovely, nippy maclaren once the baby is a bit bigger?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emilychal » 01 Oct 2014, 19:34

We have a babyjogger city mini gt. A tiny bit bigger than the well known city mini, and crucially with bigger wheels and some suspension so it's managed all the terrains we've needed to go round NT properties (inc some v. Muddy bits that others couldn't!)

You can use a carrycot with it too (sold separately), and it folds in half with 1 hand and just pops out if the boot upin a swoop. I never fail to impress! I couldn't get the hang of the 1-2-3-4-5 instructions for other pushchairs in mothercare, although I'm sure I would have got used to it! =)
------------------------------------------
First time mum to a beautiful little girl, born August 2013, who is loving her food!
So glad I decided to do BLW =)
emilychal

Postby PerpetualMadness » 01 Oct 2014, 19:43

Loved the techno xt but I'm not sure you'd manage it single handed over a muddy playground. Phil and teds?
PerpetualMadness

Postby Lily » 01 Oct 2014, 19:44

We have a Bugaboo Bee, which I love. It does front- and parent-facing, and although there's no carrycot, you can buy the newborn cocoon which effectively turns it into a little pram. Izbiz is very tall, and he fitted into the cocoon for about 6mo, including many evenings parked in the hall when it was the only place he'd go to sleep! It's very nippy, easy to steer one-handed, no problem to fit it on the bus or carry it upstairs (we lived in a first-floor flat till recently). It's not great on very rough terrain, but muddy parks are fine. My only slight gripe with it is that it doesn't take up much less floor space when folded than it does when it's up, and you can't prop it up when it's folded either, so it can be a bit awkward on busy trains etc. But tbh it's so compact that that's rarely an issue - I've maybe been annoyed by it 4 or 5 times in almost 2.5 yrs of heavy public-transport use.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Brigitte » 02 Oct 2014, 03:58

The only strollers I have ever owned are the Mountain Buggy Swift (single) and the Mountain Buggy +One (double). I have loved them both. They are light and handle like a dream, and are very durable. The Swift is quite small, and now they've also come out with a "Mini" or something like that, but it looked almost pared down. I'd recommend checking out the Mountain Buggy Swift, it might be the perfect compromise for you and your husband!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Marrow » 02 Oct 2014, 05:53

We own two buggies, both of which I'd recommend in their own way.

Icandy cherry: a bit tank-like, but was great as a pram. We bounced the chassis down to the pavement, then went back to collect the carry cot. We got ours for £120 from a local small ad.

Micralite superlite: much less tank like, but with HUGE back wheels that mean it can do steps (vital!) and also rougher ground than a maclaren.

The biggest differences between the two are
- folding. You have to take the seat off the Icandy to fold it up.
- rear facing. The micralite has a carry cot (we don't have it though) and you can attach a car seat to parent-face. But the seat itself only faces forwards.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 02 Oct 2014, 19:59

I have a Jane Slalom Pro Reverse and it's brilliant. I did an awful lot of research before we bought it and, although it was pretty expensive, I've never regretted buying it and never felt the need to buy another one - buggy, stroller or whatever.

Features:
3 wheeler with large tyre wheels - never had a problem taking it on long dog walks
Food back brake, front disc brake (a winner for the men!!!)
Carry cot, car seat and toddler seat, all interchangable.
Carry cot can be used in the car too as a Group 0. And good enough to sleep in overnight and for naps (when we went away overnight)
Fully reclining toddler seat which can be outward or parent facing.
Adjustable car seat with better back support for babies.
Comes to pieces very easily so can be made smaller and smaller, depending on space available in the car.

The only negative with it is the size of the basket underneath. Which is small!!!

I might be selling it in a few months! :wink:
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby booksnob » 02 Oct 2014, 20:42

Congratulations Busmother! :bsmile
I would recommend having a look on Gumtree, there are tonnes of prams/buggies/travel systems on there. I've been stalking the Edinburgh pages, and just bought a Mamas and Papas Urbo for £55, which would have been over £400 new. This includes a carrycot (which is in perfect condition), and a seat that can face either way. From the looks of it prams don't sell very quickly, so there's potential for haggling too.
DD1(C) July 2009
DD2(M) March 2015
booksnob

Postby busmother » 03 Oct 2014, 08:40

Good tip, booksnob. I thought it would be good to have some recommendations before I went looking, but it's good to know there are some out there. Does this mean your lovely pink one has given up, or have I missed some news that you are now in the market for a carrycot?
busmother

Postby booksnob » 03 Oct 2014, 09:07

I haven't made an announcement because I'm such a lurker, but yes the pink Argos monstrosity is long gone, and there's a carrycot stashed away for use in the Spring. :bsmile for me too!

I saw such a variety on Gumtree that I used that as my starting point, and then researched the ones that looked good and were within our price range. I feel a bit silly having bought a pram this early on, but it was such a good price, and only 10mins walk away. Also, if it turns out not to be the right one for us long term we've only sunk £55 on it.
DD1(C) July 2009
DD2(M) March 2015
booksnob

Postby Disco » 03 Oct 2014, 10:02

Wow, booksnob too! Congratulations, fantastic news for both of you :) I feel an Edinburgh meet is on the cards for easter! or before.

Busmother, seeing the Micralight suggestion has reminded me I have an old micralight i bought in a charity shop a couple of years ago ewhich has been sitting fold up for ages, AND I have the carry cot bit . However it needs a bit of TLC - i.e. new front wheels plus a mattress for the carry cot at least. I wouldn't want anything for it because its really isn't in good nick. But of you fancied a fixer upper it is good for rocky terrain as the back wheels are huge...
Oh other thing I like is when its folded up (without the cary cot obvs) it can stand upright, taking hardly much room at all.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby busmother » 04 Oct 2014, 13:35

woohoo, Booksnob! That is exciting. :bsmile :bsmile
And Disco, that might be fantastic. Will have a little look round here and talk to DH, but had a look online, and it does look like it might meet both our requirements. Apparently the shopping compartment is a bit small. But realistically once you've had a double, any compartment is going to be a bit small.
busmother

Postby Disco » 07 Oct 2014, 07:23

it is an older version of this one http://www.micralite.com/products.php?productid=1As I said if needs new front wheels (available from the site) and a mattress for the carry cot oh and a rain cover.. One of the handle/bards? need glued and its a bit grubby - this is all the probs that I know of - best be honest so you can make your decision!
But I do have the bug/sun sheild and a buggy board. Yes the basket is smallish and awkard to get into, but it can take a good sized bag over the handlebars iir.

If you're still up for a it I'll get the bits together and we can arrange getting it out to you (I have the use of a car now so thats handy :)
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby busmother » 08 Oct 2014, 08:48

That would be brilliant, Disco. Talked to DH and he likes the sound of it. I am toying with the idea of going to Kat's sock-making workshop at end of Oct, but not sure if I'm brave enough for the drive. Though could maybe bring it back on the bus /train. Or perhaps we should have a meet-up in Stirling or something so I could avoid the bus bit but you didn't have to drive all the way to Edinburgh. Will mull it over and perhaps give you a ring.
busmother

Next

Return to Baby-Led Transport