Baby backpack thingies

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Baby backpack thingies

Postby Feefielou » 09 Sep 2014, 15:19

We live in the mountains and want to start going on nice long hikes. Moonbeam now objects to her sling and I object to the babybjorn. We'd like to get one of those baby backpack things, but they seem to be crazy expensive, so we don't want to waste our money. Are they good? Do you get terrible back/shoulder ache? Do kids pull your hair and knock your glasses off? Are they impossible to get on and off? Any specific brand/model recommendations?
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Re: Baby backpack thingies

Postby issi » 09 Sep 2014, 15:24

Feefielou wrote:We live in the mountains and want to start going on nice long hikes. Moonbeam now objects to her sling and I object to the babybjorn. We'd like to get one of those baby backpack things, but they seem to be crazy expensive, so we don't want to waste our money. Are they good? Do you get terrible back/shoulder ache? Do kids pull your hair and knock your glasses off? Are they impossible to get on and off? Any specific brand/model recommendations?

Which sling does she object to? We tried a backpack thing but found it really heavy and cumbersome. We use a beco carrier - it's a structured sling with clips and a decent waist strap - it is basically like a good quality rucksack only with a child instead of the bag! I still happily carry my nearly 3yo in it on my back - best £90 we ever spent of a baby/child product.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby lizandimo » 09 Sep 2014, 16:37

We were given one by some friends - it is quite cumbersome, and the weight of the carrier itself does add to the overall weight. We haven't got the straps set up right yet so it gives us both really bad backache and DD generally hates it unless she's either tired enough to fall asleep or we give her an iPod to play games on (really making the most of the wilderness there!!) - she just hates being confined in general at the moment though, I see a lot of kids happy in them and also a lot screaming, so probably depends on the day and the child in question - not very helpful, sorry! I like the idea of a soft carrier, but since we were given this one we'll probably make do for now. I'm not sure if I would have spent a lot of money on one of these. Bit of a ramble of an answer, sorry!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Marrow » 09 Sep 2014, 16:46

I know a few people who have or have tried both, and they invariably find an SSC more comfortable than a frame carrier - the weight is so much closer to your centre of gravity.

The advantage of a frame is the storage. If you are going as a couple plus baby, one with baby and one with everything else works. If you're the adult, can you sew? If so, google onbag.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby FestiveTidings » 09 Sep 2014, 17:48

issi wrote:
Feefielou wrote:We live in the mountains and want to start going on nice long hikes. Moonbeam now objects to her sling and I object to the babybjorn. We'd like to get one of those baby backpack things, but they seem to be crazy expensive, so we don't want to waste our money. Are they good? Do you get terrible back/shoulder ache? Do kids pull your hair and knock your glasses off? Are they impossible to get on and off? Any specific brand/model recommendations?

Which sling does she object to? We tried a backpack thing but found it really heavy and cumbersome. We use a beco carrier - it's a structured sling with clips and a decent waist strap - it is basically like a good quality rucksack only with a child instead of the bag! I still happily carry my nearly 3yo in it on my back - best £90 we ever spent of a baby/child product.

Similar to us, except we have an ergo carrier. Again the best £94 I've ever spent. The Wee One loves it, as does DH. So much easier when we are out and about. Though since I have The Wee One strapped to my front just now, I have a rucksack on my back if I'm going sans DH. He usually takes the baby if we are together as my rucksack is too girly apparently! (How can a grey rucksack with white polka dots be girly?)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby mamapup » 09 Sep 2014, 17:48

Against the grain here but we loved our frame carrier for the puppy.I can't wait to use it with little croc too. Loads of storage, baby high up and having a whale of a.time. We used it loads. Bought it half price.on eBay. Can check brand for you if you like.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Marrow » 09 Sep 2014, 18:09

Marron wrote:I know a few people who have or have tried both, and they invariably find an SSC more comfortable than a frame carrier...

mamapup wrote:Against the grain here but we loved our frame carrier for the puppy.I can't wait to use it with little croc too. Loads of storage, baby high up and having a whale of a.time. We used it loads. Bought it half price.on eBay. Can check brand for you if you like.

OK. I know a few people who have tried both and all but one prefer the SSC ;)
Marrow

Postby sabrina fair » 09 Sep 2014, 18:22

Also against the grain: we have one and like it. I've never worn it though - only dh does. It's useful because the baby's up high and can see plenty, and there's storage too. Having said that,I don't think I'd want a child to spend too much time in one since they seem a bit crotch-dangly to me. Also we rarely use it now cos I carry squidge in the manduca on my back so dh can carry monkeyboy in the toddler tula if he needs to. We muddle along with bags for stuff because we don't go on very long walks. If we did, we might have squidge in the backpack carrier on dh, and me carrying monkeyboy where necessary.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Feefielou » 12 Sep 2014, 09:39

Thank you all so much for the input! I love the look of the various soft carriers you've all recommended. They look lovely and comfy, and I'm rather tempted by them, although I have the feeling that their role would be a little different to the full-on backpack. I guess I think that the backpack ones (made by outdoorsy sort of companies) would work better for long, heavy duty, potentially rainy hikes with the need to carry food, water, sunblock, maps and all that stuff. We've ordered one from Amazon and will see how it turns out. We were careful to choose one where the reviews said that the baby's weight was not too much on the crotch, and the straps are fastened at their shoulders.

As for the sling, DH bought us a gorgeous ring sling (sakura?) which Moonbeam initially loved but now for some reason we just don't get on with it, either of us. I should make the effort to give it another try, it would make life a whole lot easier. But again, that would be for a different purpose. I can't really see myself trudging up the trails with her in a sling, but perhaps that's just me. We were using that more for shopping trips and so on. I resolve to attempt some different positions with it this weekend and try and find one we are comfortable with.

Thanks again all of you!
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby Marrow » 12 Sep 2014, 10:48

Ring slings are great. But for an older child, IME they only really work for hip carries - you can do a back carry but it's not very secure (Courgette does go on my back in the ring sling, but I wouldn't do it if she was objecting, whereas I can get her in the SSC despite her protestations if needed), and you will always have the weight on one shoulder only. They're great for popping to the shops, or with a clingy toddler around the house.

But, if you are considering serious distances, for futureproofing you need to get her on your back, with the weight on both your shoulders and probably your waist/torso too. You certainly can trudge with a sling, but it would either be a woven wrap, or a SSC, or an asian-style carrier (mei tai, onbu etc).

Have a go with your backpack and see if you both find it comfortable - if not, there are options!
Marrow

Postby madcatmummy » 14 Sep 2014, 06:52

We had a little life rucksack which we both used with AD but I could not get comfy with it with JT so I got a manduca too. I loved the manduca, JT lived the rucksack! I think he liked being up high and being able to see over dhs shoulder, and out had the advantage of storage and a rain cover! We did much less walking with JT as we already had AD, but we did do a bit of walking with AD in it and she seemed fine too! Having options is always a good idea though!
mum to AD (03/09) and JT (08/11) and 2 mad cats!
madcatmummy

Return to Baby-Led Transport