Complete novice - help me get started

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Complete novice - help me get started

Postby bigcatmaniac » 07 Sep 2014, 14:42

Hi there

We were given a baby Bjorn which I've been using a lot for dd2 so I can have my hands free to do things with dd1, cook tea, mow the lawn... You know the kind of thing. She's now 4 months and over 13lbs - so it's not been that comfortable lately, especially forward facing. She loves being in there though, and although I do use a double buggy too, she hates it and I usually end up popping her in the bb.

I'm going to an NCT sling library on Friday to look at other options. I almost bought an Ergo the last time they were on sale with Zulily but decided yo wait and try some out first. With dd1, I also had a mamas and papas flexi wrap but I didn't get on well with it - I felt dd1 was very slumped down in it and didn't seem very comfortable, and I got very hot with the three bits of material wrapped round me. In fact this is one of my main concerns about wraps generally - that I'll be too hot. So I sold it in haste, and am regretting not holding onto it now to try again with dd2.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Bigcat.
bigcatmaniac

Re: Complete novice - help me get started

Postby FestiveTidings » 07 Sep 2014, 14:59

I didn't get on well with wraps either - I could never get them tight enough!

I bought an ergo from John Lewis (DH's work have us vouchers when The Wee One was born) and I love it. I've not worn it for getting things done (the Wee One is happy playing in his play nest and I just tote them both from room to room) but for out and about it's great. Just clip it on, but him in, clip it shut and pull on the straps to tighten. Done! Even DH has had a go and he loves it too.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Marrow » 07 Sep 2014, 15:06

Do you want to borrow my Kari Me stretchy wrap and/or my Manduca? (C's too big for both). I'll be in the office tomorrow if you could get to me to pick it up? Then you could have a go before Friday.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby bigcatmaniac » 07 Sep 2014, 19:53

Lovely - thanks marrow - will message you. Think I'll definitely try an Ergo too - the sling library is supposed to have one. Thanks guys.

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby Pics » 07 Sep 2014, 19:57

The NCT sling library will be a great way to look at some - and i suspect there will be other sling groups in Cardiff too. See how you get on with Marron's and the NCT meet and if you still need help I'm sure we can find a way forward for you!
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Kanga » 08 Sep 2014, 07:46

When ds outgrew his stretchy wrap, probably around 4 months, we got an action baby carrier. I love it, really comfy to wear & easy to adjust between sizes for me & dh both to use. Don't think it can be used forward facing though.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby bigcatmaniac » 26 Sep 2014, 19:15

Ok - have been using Marrow's Manduca and my friends Ergo for the last couple of weeks. Now I can't choose between them. Have only used both in the front carry position as bubs is only 4.5 months so far. Baby seems more comfortable in the Ergo and I am more comfortable with the weight distribution - it seems more secure and less gapey at the sides too. I like the pocket on the front and the fact that you only need one hand to unclasp the waist belt too. But - the height of the back strap means I just can't put it on myself. I need someone to do it up for me. I can just about undo it but can't do it up.

The Manduca is much easier to put on, and adjust once it's on - but it doesn't seem to fit me as well, and I can feel my shoulders start to ache a bit after a while (I think the ergo is a bit more padded in the straps. Although it is much more comfy in the crossed straps position and the baby felt more secure, I found this quite tricky to do when I was out and about too.

Has anyone tried an Ergo Xtra as well as the original? Do you know if the strap across the back which clasps together is higher or lower than on the original? The sling library only has an original and I don't want to order an Xtra from John Lewis if one of you guys already knows. One at bra strap heir would just be perfect.

I checked too and the sling library doesn't have an Action Baby Carrier either - so I think my choice is between these two.

Is there a knack to doing up the back strap on the Ergo that I just haven't mastered? Do I just need to practice more with the Manduca? So many questions ......

Any help appreciated.

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby Rattus » 26 Sep 2014, 19:37

I've been using an Ergo for my 6-month old for a couple of months now and I did find the back strap tricky at first. I have slid it up the shoulder strap a little so it sits higher on my back and I also do it up before tightening the shoulder straps so it is right at the top of my back and then once the shoulder straps are tight it sits lower down. The longer the shoulder straps are when you put it on the higher the back strap will be on your back and therefore easier to reach. To take off, lengthen the shoulder straps first then undo the back strap.
Mum to E (Jan 2012) and A (Mar 2014)
Rattus

Postby bigcatmaniac » 26 Sep 2014, 19:42

Great Rattus - will give that a go tomorrow.
bigcatmaniac

Postby emzit » 26 Sep 2014, 19:57

I never personally had to do this but I know some people with T. Rex arms who keep it done up and slip their head through.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby mamapup » 26 Sep 2014, 21:04

Interesting as I've.been regretting buying the manduca over the ergo. Always think now that the ergo looks easier to use and if I could do it.quicker little.croc.wouldn't turn from the world's calmest child in to.the angriest monster I've.ever seen.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby bigcatmaniac » 30 Sep 2014, 13:32

Rattus - it worked! Thanks for the tip. Am now confusing things by eying up other carriers on Pics' new website. #makeadecisionwoman
bigcatmaniac

Postby scotrail » 30 Sep 2014, 13:49

I also suffer from hot baby syndrome, but I still use wraps and have found that nothing else gives as comfy of a carry in the long run. This might be because my stomach muscles are none-existent, so any waist straps dig into my belly! Silk blends are good for littler babies and cooler than cotton.

We have a Manduca but I find it uncomfy to sit down wearing it once the baby is asleep, although it's good for quick ups and downs.

My fave for hot days and hot babies combined is a mei tai. We used a hop tye for the first months, but he's getting a bit fat for it now, sadly :( Mei tais are however a good option as they are airy on the sides but with wrap style straps you get almost as good of a weight distribution as with a proper wrap.
scotrail

Postby Marrow » 30 Sep 2014, 16:15

I keep meaning to text you. The Manduca's yours for £60, if that helps your decision.

And also, think about how comfy a carrier will be for a back carry - DD2 won't be on your front for much longer. Would DD1 cooperate if you tried to give her a special piggy back?
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby VickyBear » 03 Oct 2014, 21:04

I love my Manduca...but then the ergo didn't really fit my LO. I can manage to undo the waist buckle on the Manduca one handed but it's a bit fiddly...I don't find this a big disadvantage.

Could you do the strap on the shoulder straps up before tightening the shoulder straps? I don't have an ergo but remember trying one in JL (worked out it dug into my baby's shoulders) and wonder if you could keep the shoulder straps longer and do the buckle up behind your neck and then tighten them? I couldn't believe how much more comfy these were in comparison to the baby Bjorn! I like the fact the Manduca doesn't need an insert for a newborn which will be handy for any future babes!
VickyBear

Return to Baby-Led Transport