Which Ergo?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Which Ergo?

Postby BeanSalad » 19 Jun 2014, 22:11

I am planning to buy a SSC and have settled on an Ergo based on feedback from other parents. However I'm a bit confused about which Ergo to go for - things like how large you need to be in height and girth to need and Xtra because I can't find anything concrete on the web (I'm 5ft 9 and a UK10/12 and DH is 5ft 11 and a "medium" so assuming standard size ok?), differences between original/organic and performance and in terms of comfort and durability for front and back carry and for the child sleeping.

I didn't babywear with dd and dd2 is now nearing 6 months and is 98th centile for height and I think I need something more appropriate than a Babybjorn to transport her about... It will mainly be me wearing it and I walk around for a couple of hours a day on the school run and shopping etc as I don't drive, but would also plan to wear it on longer walks eg on holiday etc when DH will probably share carrying.

Any tips would be great!
Mummy to two lovely girls born September 2010 and January 2014
BeanSalad

Re: Which Ergo?

Postby junglewonderland » 19 Jun 2014, 22:41

We have a performance- not sure if they have the same models over there, or now ( ours is a few years old). We love it, I am short and dh is tall and it fits us both. I would recommend going to a shop and trying them on if you can. There are lots of different baby wearing options, and lots of gurus on here to give advice, but we have had the ergo for over 2 years, love it and use it all the time.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby Tintin » 19 Jun 2014, 23:16

Do you have a sling library near you?
As good as the Ergo is, the 'problem' with SSCs is that there are a lot of variables that affect how comfortable they are for the wearer. What one person loves, another person will find really uncomfortable. It really is a good idea to try as many as you can before buying anything.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby FestiveTidings » 20 Jun 2014, 00:14

Agree a sling library is great to go to if you have one.

My DH is 6'3" and has very broad shoulders (and a wee bit of a belly!) and the ergo original fits him fine. We ordered an original and an Xtra from John Lewis with the purpose of trying both on seeing as DH isn't standard size but we are both happy with the original so the Xtra has stayed in the box and is being returned.

I've only had it a couple of weeks but I love it already. So much easier than the Moby (though we still use that in the house :) )
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby t&n's mummy » 20 Jun 2014, 09:38

We have the organic one, it is lovely and soft against skin. My dh is large/xl in size and I am 8-10, I find it too bulky/big when front carrying (I prefer my wrap) but it is fab for back carrying and brilliant for if lo wants to be up/down all the time, eg at the park... And grandparents also like it, there was nearly a fight at the zoo last week when both wanted to carry n, grandad won and carried her almost the whole day, there is no way I would get him using a wrap.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby FlossiesMum » 20 Jun 2014, 11:23

The standard and organic are the same in terms of structure. But the Sport, Classic (or Standard, or organic or whatever you call it) and the Performance are all different shapes, and different ones will suit different people.

I second the suggestion to get to a sling library if you can. I so often get people coming to the library saying they want an Ergo, who actually end up loving the Manduca or Boba 4g or something instead.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby BeanSalad » 20 Jun 2014, 18:13

Thanks very much for all the advice! The nearest sling library to us is a bit of a pain as I don't drive but I will try and get down there to try some things on.
Mummy to two lovely girls born September 2010 and January 2014
BeanSalad

Return to Baby-Led Transport