basic sling question

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Re: basic sling question

Postby Mummyto1 » 11 Jun 2014, 20:52

I don't think all babies love slings from the off. My no. 2 was exclusively slung and never went in a pushchair and so didn't have much choice in the matter but it meant by the time she was old enough to have an opinion she seemed to love it (and does now at 3 though she 'a lucky if she gets a go once a week!) But my no. 3 didn't go in exclusively as I had a smaller age gap so always had a single buggy with me too and chopped and changed. He definitely took a bit longer to get used to it but I kind of persisted and now he's pretty chilled about it.

My long-winded point being, without sounding too mean to a small baby(!) I would just stick little croc in anyway and she'll get used to it. They never like it when you are figuring out how to tie/strap it as they can sense the confusion and fluster. It doesn't mean she'll always shout in there or that she'll hate it.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby mamapup » 11 Jun 2014, 20:58

Redrum, that'd ace,thank you. Having looked at the hot slings website I reckon little croc might go for it as she'd be freer. It says 6months plus for the front/hip carry but she is huge and very strong so I'm sure it'd be fine.

Toasty Crumpet, I think I'm over long wrappy things, thanks. Little croc also hated the moby so I'm not even going to try another one.

In an ideal world I'd go to the sling library but the one for our area has moved to a zillion miles from us so I can't face the trek. FT, I wish I'd gone ergo not manduca. Like you, I ranted at MrC (although I assume you ranted at your DH not MrC) because I bought a manduca and then saw cheap ergos but it was too late.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby RedRum » 11 Jun 2014, 22:31

Cool, PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post x
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby FestiveTidings » 12 Jun 2014, 18:07

Can you not sell the manduca and then put the proceeds towards an ergo?

And yes, it was my DH, though if you want to Skype me I can rant at MrC too if you like :)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby qbm » 12 Jun 2014, 18:21

I gave up on the moby for the same reason. M was fine when I could pre-tie it but would fight it when I had to wrap. I use my Beco Gemini now as it's so much quicker. I sometimes use the moby round the house when I'm not in a hurry but that's all.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby mamapup » 12 Jun 2014, 19:14

FT, MrC would kill me if I bought a other sling. He's.just about don with me.buying slings to try and find the right one. If rr's doesn't work I'll see.if.anyone around here has an ergo to lend but given how.hot it is right now.I'm not going to be forcing 7kgs.of.baby against.me.against her will!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby mamapup » 22 Jun 2014, 07:47

We have our answer. Sigh. Little Croc loves the baby bjorn. Grrrr to my babies who don't like nice new ergonomically sound slings but do love second hand cheap un-ergonomically sound slings. We put her in it facing forward to go to the local fete yesterday and she was happier than we ever imagined. She gurgled and bounced and chewed her hands happily watching everything. Sigh.

Will try the manduca hip position with her but I suspect I know what'll happen.

My babies do not bend to my will on sling issues.

mamapup

Postby emzit » 22 Jun 2014, 08:37

Dare I suggest Ergo 360, mp, or will MrC shoot me down? :)

I now have two ring slings, one wrap, another wrap coming for my birthday on Tuesday and am already eyeing up one more. Not because they are wrong, because I have gone out of control and want all of them. You can tell MrC to be pleased he's not married to me! He's gotten off lightly!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Pics » 22 Jun 2014, 10:14

.......or a beco Gemini?
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby DandelionFrosting » 22 Jun 2014, 10:35

Pics wrote:.......or a beco Gemini?

This!
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby qbm » 22 Jun 2014, 12:52

DandelionFrosting wrote:
Pics wrote:.......or a beco Gemini?

This!

This!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby mamapup » 22 Jun 2014, 16:02

Scared to buy another and have wasted money on my tricky child. Our sling library is miles and miles away so not really an option.

mamapup

Postby FlossiesMum » 22 Jun 2014, 18:01

I wouldn't buy another. If she likes the Baby Bjorn forward facing i'd do that for now. With the caveat that if she is knackered and in need of a sleep I'd put her in the Manduca and walk til she falls asleep, even if she's cranky, rather than have her fall asleep forward facing in the bjorn which won't be so comfy for either her or you.

Give it another couple of months and she'll have way more upper body control and probably be happy in the Manduca as she'll be able to turn sideways so much more easily.

FWIW, I have way more sling library customers prefer the Manduca to the Ergo. And if you saw cheap Ergos, chances are they are fake - there's a huge problem with fake Ergos.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby mamapup » 22 Jun 2014, 19:45

Are you my local sling library? I live in Kennington. I thought ours had just moved far away. Did have a chat with a husband and wife team before xmas at the vauxhall nct sale. Was it you, flossiesmum?

mamapup

Postby Fozza » 22 Jun 2014, 19:59

It may be that she's not quite high enough to see above the carrier or turn her head to look.
Try, unfolding the hood, rolling a muslin for her to sit on (if she's too big for the insert bit) and/or adjusting the height of the carrier (zip).
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

PreviousNext

Return to Baby-Led Transport