basic sling question

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

basic sling question

Postby mamapup » 07 Jun 2014, 09:39

Little croc loathes the manduca with a passion. We suspect it's mainly because she wants to see everything going on and struggles in this sling. MrC is keen ti know why I'm so anti babybjorn. He is extremely fact driven so needs more than my thoughts on weight in the groin etc. He wants her to sling forwards as. She will like it better. Though gr8 s?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: basic sling question

Postby Kanga » 07 Jun 2014, 09:47

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will come along but I thought forwards facing put an unnatural position on the spine and wasn't good for them. Couldn't tell you where I've got that from though!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby ToothFairy » 07 Jun 2014, 10:11

Can you put her on your hip so she can look forwards?
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby qbm » 07 Jun 2014, 10:30

I was going to suggest hip too. I carried E on my hip until I was too pregnant to manage. It took me a while to get it so it was comfy though. I loved it - E could see around her, I could see in front of me and we could see each other so lots of chat :D
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby issi » 07 Jun 2014, 11:56

Which has some useful info on this: http://www.which.co.uk/baby-and-child/b ... ng-safety/

Basically they say that there aren't any studies to support the idea that front facing sling carries cause the baby hip problems. Interesting!

Personally, my objection to the Bjorn is that there is no waist strap for the adult - they look so uncomfortable and I can't see how they distribute the weight comfortably - besides, there are much nicer slings out there! I used to carry DS1 forward facing in my Closer wrap for short periods. It wouldn't be comfy for a nap though.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby Pics » 07 Jun 2014, 12:02

There aren;t any specific studies - but if you go to the Hip Dysplasia association they have interesting information.

I feel that forward facing with a baby over 5/6mths for short periods of time is not necesarily so terrible - Iona loved it inthe Beco Gemini and i felt the position was better than Bjorn. I would not want ot do it as a standard all the time carry though - the positioning is one reason, but over stimulation is another. It is also less comfortable for the adult.

But a hip carrier is really good at the job - or a wrap in a hip carry position.

Any carrier designed for carrying only up to a year 9like most of the hight street ones) is not going to be as comfortable for the adult as they will not need to be designed to spread the same amount of weight!
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby SharkiesMum » 07 Jun 2014, 12:14

I'm no expert on the hip issues, but I know I couldn't carry A for more than 10-15 mins in a baby bjorn once he was 3 months old as the weight on my back was incredible. However I can still carry him for a good few hours on my front in any of my ssc, mei tai or woven wraps and he is a 13.5kg 26 month old. I think that really says something about the weight distribution for both the wearer and the baby in a baby bjorn.

Also the new baby bjorn model that is more like a standard ssc is advertised as having better hip
Positioning for baby and weight distribution for the carrier - no mention of this with the standard baby bjorn.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Lily » 07 Jun 2014, 12:27

Another vote for hip carries here.

I used to do a hip carry with Iz in the Manduca when he got to the wanting-to-see stage but wasn't yet big enough for a back carry. It takes a bit of fiddling with the straps the first time, but once you've figured it out it's actually very easy, and reasonably comfy as long as they're not too heavy. I could try to dig out some instructions if you can't find any.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Tintin » 07 Jun 2014, 12:38

I could write a huge reply on this, but unfortunately I'm in the middle of exam-marking hell and just having a little lurk during a lunch break.

In short, there is no research to suggest narrow-based carriers cause hip problems. There *is* evidence to suggest they can exacerbate an existing condition, but not cause it.

There are significant comfort issues though, for you and baby. Babies have a natural C-curve to their spine. If they are facing out, this curves their body away from you, and you will find yourself arching your back to compensate. There are also concerns about over-stimulation in the FFO position (although not everyone shares these concers0ns, it's very much personal choice) and triangulation (ditto, not everyone sees this as a problem), Therefore even most manufacturers suggest FFO should be limitedt o short (15ish mins) bursts (although they often out that in very small print somewhere in the instructions :wink: ). There is a danger of the baby's airways being compromised if they sleep in the FFO position.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby mamapup » 07 Jun 2014, 17:54

Thanks all,.really helpful. The puppy loved being forward.facing and I think little croc will too.as.her calmest position is.us holding her out in a.sitting pose.

Lily, and others, I'd forgotten themanduca can do a hip pose, will try to.figure that out and see.if it's.better. Now.she's in the "naps are for.wimps " camp I might as.well let her see.stuff!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 07 Jun 2014, 18:49

Funnily enough, my friend's recently had the exact same issue with her DS2. She dug out a BB she'd bought but never used with her DS1, having gone quickly to the Manduca, and carried a very happy DS2 around the Nat Hist Museum. As others have said, it's not ideal positioning for either the baby or the parent, but our reasoning was that a little bit of time spent in a non-ideal carrier where the baby is clearly having a whale of a time because he can see everything, and she's able to focus on her very active DS1, was worth it.

It's all about assessing risks and finding a happy medium, isn't it? For example, I suspect that the Jumperoo isn't the greatest positioning for a baby (a bit crotch dangley) but shed loads of babies LOVE them at a particular point in their lives when they want to be upright but can't manage it yet. So a happy baby for half an hour a couple of times a day, and an opportunity for me to do the washing up or whatever, meant that I was very happy to put him in it.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby mamapup » 11 Jun 2014, 13:39

I frickin' hate the manduca and all its stupid straps. Trying to follow the crap instructions for hip carry, little croc going ballistic the moment she sees it. Too hot for this crap. Grrr.

mamapup

Postby RedRum » 11 Jun 2014, 16:12

MP I have a black pouch sling that I loved when R was little. I'd be happy to lend if you would like it for a while? Won't be needing it til next year!

ETA I can't remember what brand it is but I think it might be hotslings. It's not adjustable though but I'm a size 12 average height so I'm guessing it would be medium.
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 11 Jun 2014, 17:22

Little Chompy wasn't a fan of the manduca as a little baby. She's fine in it now though. I'm currently alternating between a ring sling, wrap and action baby carrier for her (the later is less faff than the manduca - more adjustable manduca definitely better when they are bigger though).

I have a calin bleu wrap I'm not using at the moment if you want to borrow it. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend the South London sling library.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Jun 2014, 19:41

I think it takes a bit of trial and error MP. I still can't get the Moby tight enough for my liking so have splurged (with vouchers we were given) on an Ergo instead. It's very simple as far as I can tell (haven't actually been out in it yet? Only did a test run round the living room).

I would definitely get to a sling library and see what little croc prefers
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Next

Return to Baby-Led Transport