Moby - not sure I'm doing it right

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Moby - not sure I'm doing it right

Postby FestiveTidings » 02 May 2014, 13:30

I've used the Moby a couple of times now but Wee One doesn't seem to like it - he protests when he's been in it for a few mins. This makes me think I'm not doing it right. I've been doing the legs out hug hold as per the Moby website

http://www.mobywrap.com/mw/hug-hold.htm

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Is there a set of common newbie mistakes? Although this is the second baby for me, it's the first time I've used a wrap.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Moby - not sure I'm doing it right

Postby Fozza » 02 May 2014, 13:50

Not tight enough is the main problem for newbies. I prefer the gathered method.
Is he protesting because he's tired? Hungry? I'd only really put them in for naps on the move. If they didn't fall right asleep (occasionally protesting first) then they were hungry or something else.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby biccytoria » 02 May 2014, 13:53

x-post, What Zozza said!

Some babies don't like feeling too restricted, when you've put him in have you been walking around and been active straight afterwards? If not that may help. Or having it so you've still go head support but that he can see out if he's got his head turned to one side? Have a look half way down this page on how to do that - either by supporting his head with a pass, or by using a rolled muslin http://somdbabywearers.weebly.com/1/pos ... -tips.html
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Postby FestiveTidings » 02 May 2014, 14:20

Fozza wrote:Not tight enough is the main problem for newbies. I prefer the gathered method.
Is he protesting because he's tired? Hungry? I'd only really put them in for naps on the move. If they didn't fall right asleep (occasionally protesting first) then they were hungry or something else.

What's the gathered method? I've only followed the video on the Moby website. I'm a bit wary of watching YouTube as it's not clear if they are using a stretchy wrap or woven on a lot of the clips (and they don't always say).

Also, once I have him in the hug hold, he can't see when his head is to the side the opposite side of the wrap blocks his view - his shoulders lift it up. Is this a sign that it's wrong?
FestiveTidings

Postby EnigmaFish » 02 May 2014, 22:57

"Gathered" or "Folded" relates to how you are handling the Moby as you are putting it on. A folded wrap crossing your chest looks really nice since it lays flat but will probably take longer to do. Whereas a wrap bunched up or gathered before crossing your chest is really easy but probably doesn't look as nice. Also, gathered wraps do seem to hold tighter than folded.
I found it took several days with our Moby before Kleintje got used to it. I was a first time babywearer too. They say that alot of the issues stem from the parent not being confident. Baby cries pq it's something new (and pq babies cry) and the wearer becomes anxious they're doing something wrong. If you are able to pass the safety checks then try to relax and stop worrying.
It's been at least eighteen months since I used my Moby. However, I seem to remember being taught that it needs to be tight but not too tight. You both need to be able to breathe, but baby shouldn't jiggle too much when you bounce gently up and down.
Also, is he overheating? If he is wearing alot of clothes that could be making him cranky.
I'm not completely certain I understand what you're asking about his head or his view. I do remember though that I was taught a trick to help adjust the tightness of your wrap after baby is in: twist the fabric on your shoulder(s) over once. I seem to remember that also improved Kleintje's view.

Hope that helps. When I started replying, I didn't realise I'd end up writing a whole book.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby emzit » 03 May 2014, 00:27

Can you go to a sling meet and get some tips? I was totally confused about my ring sling till I went to one and got help using it. Snuffler loves it now and I've been using it loads. I think if still be struggling without the hands on advice.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 May 2014, 07:44

There isn't a sling meet near me, the best that I can find is a sling shop where you can pay for a consult (prices start from £10 I think) which I'll have to travel to Edinburgh for so it will take planning and time! :)

I'll try the gathered method and see of he's happier. He's still only 4 weeks so he doesn't keep his head up for long and so has his head sideways against my chest. His view is restricted because when the wrap comes over my shoulders and around him, it creates a little tent (I think by big boobs don't help) and he is basically looking unto the tent. Good tip of folding over the shoulder fabric. He doesn't like the frog feet of the newborn hug hold do I tried the legs out one, but is he perhaps too young yet?

He could be too hot - what do you dress your LO in if they are being wrapped (carried? Not sure of the right lingo here!) last Sunday we went on a 4 hr train ride and so I had him in a short sleeved vest, long sleeve cotton top, jogging bottoms and socks. He was in the wrap for the 10 min walk from the car to the train and then out of the wrap for the train journey. It wasn't a warm day, but it wasn't Baltic either!

Sorry for all the questions!
FestiveTidings

Postby mamapup » 03 May 2014, 08:04

Little croc is.normally in a babygro with either a.vest or a.cardi in the wrap.thus far. I hated newborn hold so.moved.on to froggy hold quickly but found she could stand up and push herself in.to.silly positions so now do legs out. She seems happy most.of the time. Only gets cross if she wakes up hungry or if I put her in it immediately that she wakes up because she knows it sends her to sleep.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby FestiveTidings » 12 May 2014, 20:16

Sorry to resurrect this - I'm still not getting it right - The Wee One just isn't comfy.

It's tight enough I think and his knees are higher than his hips, but he doesn't like not having his arms out (even when he's covered with a blanket he has to have his arms out)

Is there a way of tying a Moby that allows his arms to be out (like they are in an SSC)? I've had a look on YouTube but I don't really know what to search for. I did sort of alter the carry I had him in so that the shoulder panels were going under his arms and around his back rather than over his shoulders then used the waist panel to support his back with a rolled up muslin to support his head but I wasn't sure if it was safe so I took him out even though he seemed happier.

He is fairly sturdy - he's over 12lbs and wearing 3-6mths even though he's only 5 weeks old.

At this rats I will be breaking out the Baby Bjorn :(
FestiveTidings

Postby biccytoria » 12 May 2014, 20:54

I'd go with you gut with the arms out carry you did. So long as the fabric is up to his armpits and he feels secure in the wrap and he's happy then it should be fine
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Postby EnigmaFish » 12 May 2014, 22:42

I think I can picture what you are doing, and I think we did something similar for similar reasons. You would need to be more conscious of how much your movements are affecting his movements. If he falls asleep, try to tuck his arms back inside the wrap.

Actually, I just went back and looked at the photos and I remember now that we had the exact same problem. I've a picture of us when she's 5-6 weeks old and her arms are out, just as you describe. I remember now that I did spend a fair bit of time trying to put them back in where they belonged.

If it's any help, BabyWearing Ireland has a nice graphic of the TICKS guidelines on their website.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Return to Baby-Led Transport