FAQ: Slings, Wraps and Carriers - What, How and Why?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

Re: FAQ: Slings, Wraps and Carriers - What, How and Why?

Postby haniyah » 16 Nov 2015, 11:26

I hope you can help. I used a basic cotton sling bought on eBay when my baby girl was small and it was great, but then we stopped and now I wonder whether we should start it again, I figure it is easier than pushing a buggy through mud in the park.
Anyway, how do you carry older and as a result heavier babies? Mine weighs 13kg+ now. And how do you dress them when it is cold outside, or is it better to stick with pushchair in winter?
Thanks!
Mum, organic food lover and blogger. Teaching my baby to eat proper healthy food. Check out my blog! nofussyeaters.com/blog
haniyah

Postby Marrow » 16 Nov 2015, 12:33

My 3yo is 14kg. She gets carried in a toddler Tula or in a woven wrap.

The Tula is great for ease of up- and down, and she can sleep in it. But it's not exactly compact to carry. And if she's being nosey, she leans out sideways which isn't great for my comfort.

The size 4 woven is great for a quick carry home from nursery, and is very compact. But it's not super comfy for long stints.

The size 6 woven is comfy for longer periods, but more of a faff to get on. DD is higher on my back, so she can see around more and doesn't feel the need to lean out. But there's no head support so she can't sleep.

That's my collection and how I use them!

As for dressing - the slings are pretty warm, so you can get away with a bit less than you would if they were in a buggy. If it's really cold, I wear a fleece and cagoule, DD wears a fleece, cagoule and leg warmers. We sometimes use an umbrella over both of us - the advantage of carrying a toddler is that they can carry the umbrella! Or we just both get our waterproofs on (both of us have waterproof trousers if required) and we let the sling get wet. You can get babywearing coats, but I've never felt the need.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby yorkshirepudding » 16 Nov 2015, 15:32

I use a manduca ssc, used it with my first from 5 months ish til I was too pregnant with number 2 to carry him comfortably when he was 2 and about 12kg. He still goes in it now occasionally (nearly 3) but it isn't quite wide enough for his legs. We've just borrowed another ssc from a friend, this is a toddler carrier so wider under their bum so it doesn't leave his legs dangling as much, that's a patapum, haven't used it yet myself so I don't know how it is but my oh thought it was ok to carry him in. I love the manduca and walked with our dog and a napping baby/ toddler every day for about an hour.

Clothes wise, I found a snowsuit too hot for them against your skin. I would dress them in normal clothes including cardigan/ jumper, then hat and gloves, and get a coat big enough to go round both of you (I wear a big fleece and my oh's rain jacket on top). I look so cool! If I'm not walking about much so not getting as warm I might put baby in a coat too, or a rain suit if it's wet but I sometimes just use a brolly over both of us. With an older child make sure their legs and feet are warm enough as they're sticking out and away from your body heat more, I know some people use leg warmers. Wellies don't keep feet warm!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby haniyah » 20 Nov 2015, 22:23

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Will Google to see what would work best for us. Also realised that my 21 month old at 13 kg is really heavy :)
Mum, organic food lover and blogger. Teaching my baby to eat proper healthy food. Check out my blog! nofussyeaters.com/blog
haniyah

Postby yorkshirepudding » 21 Nov 2015, 01:24

Well I think that's what he weighed at his 2 yr check, haven't done him since! He is quite diddy :wink:

Forgot to say, Google to see if there is a sling library near you, you might be able to try on several and borrow fir a week or so to see if one suits. Near me there is a lady who does it privately, and an nct library too.
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Previous

Return to Baby-Led Transport