FAQ: Slings, Wraps and Carriers - What, How and Why?

Slings, buggies, carseats, cars, bike, trailers and Shanks' pony - however you and your baby are getting around, discuss it here. (Sling addicts ahoy!)

FAQ: Slings, Wraps and Carriers - What, How and Why?

Postby skip » 29 May 2012, 07:46

I'm going to sticky this post so noobs can easily find a helpful thread (try to minimise the tangents, people... ;) ) all about babywearing. So... help me compile and answer some FAQs please!

- I've only every tried/seen baby bjorn style carriers. How are wraps/other carriers any different?

- What's the difference between a stretchy and a woven wrap?

- It's too complicated, aaaarrrrghhhhh! What am I supposed to do with 5 feet of material?!?!

- What's the best carrier/wrap to start with?

- What's the best/easiest front carry?

- What's the best/easiest back carry?

- Won't baby get too hot/suffocate?

- Won't it hurt my back? I have a huge baby, won't they be too heavy?

- Where do I get a wrap/sling from?

- Are different slings better for different carries/situations/ages?

- What's the difference between a wrap, an ssc, a ring sling and a hip carrier??

- Best wrap/carry for a newborn?
skip

Re: FAQ: Slings, Wraps and Carriers - What, How and Why?

Postby FlossiesMum » 29 May 2012, 09:15

- I used a baby bjorn style carrier - how are wraps/other carriers any different?

From the baby's point of view:
- Whilst it works fine with a tiny baby, as they get not-that-much bigger, it doesn't really support their legs/hips
- There is more fabric between baby and you so they don't get as close to you to listen to your heartbeat and regulate their temperature using your body heat.
From parent point of view:
- The weight is all on your shoulders and upper back, so it tends to get uncomfortable quickly
- It holds the baby's weight further away from you than other carriers (especially when baby faces forwards) which puts considerably more strain on your back
- You can't use it to back carry, and you can't use it for very long to front carry before they get too heavy.

- What's the difference between a stretchy and a woven wrap?
The clue is in the name - a stretchy wrap stretches, a woven doesn't. You tie a stretchy on, and then use the stretch in the fabric to pop the baby in. With most carries with a woven, you tie the fabric around the baby as you go. For this reason many people like to start with a stretchy as they find it easier to pre-tie.
Most stretchy wraps are not suitable for back carries (Wrapsody and Je Porte Mon Bebe are two that are) whereas wovens are all suitable for back, front and hip carries
Generally the comfortable weight at which you can carry a baby will be much greater for a woven wrap than a stretchy wrap.

(You may want to add in gauze.....which is not stretchy but not really classed as a 'woven' either...)

- It's too complicated, aaaarrrrghhhhh! What am I supposed to do with 5 feet of material?!?!
Once you have done it half a dozen times it'll be as easy as pie. And because you pre-tie, you can do it in the house in the morning and then just pop baby in and out at the supermarket/school run etc.

- What's the best carrier/wrap to start with?
There is no one 'best'. It depends on the age of your baby, what sort of carrier appeals to you and more. The mistake I see many people make is to try to get something that does birth-preschooler. Only a woven wrap does that without compromising at one or both ends of the scale.

- What's the best/easiest front carry?
Front Wrap Cross Carry

- What's the best/easiest back carry?
I teach people to start with a ruck. If you can get the techniques right for a ruck (good seat, tight wrap with no sagging anywhere, properly tightened top edge) all the other back carries will follow pretty easily. Because it is simple, your technique has to be good to make it work.

Hmm, now that I've started on this I've realised that a lot of these are addressed on http://www.slingguide.co.uk - might be worth starting there?
Last edited by FlossiesMum on 11 Aug 2012, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby t&n's mummy » 29 May 2012, 09:52

Can I just add that I got a great stretchy wrap sling thing from Victoria the sling lady on eBay, she does stretchy and sturdier ones in loads of colours prices between £10-20 so a great place to start if you want to try it cheaply. N has lived in hers since she was born and it is fab.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby ceeLIN » 29 May 2012, 19:56

I can't do answers but it would be good to link to good youtube 'how to' clips for different carries/slings etc.
DD1 aka Baby Cee July 2009
DD2 March 2013
ceeLIN

Postby Popsie » 03 Aug 2012, 12:07

I think links to photos of each wrap/ carrier would be great. I'm hoping to use my first moby with this new baby if it ever comes out. It's all new to me and I'm constantly trying to find out what the heck these wraps you talk about are?! Most recently the shortie....
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby MumtoMonsters » 03 Aug 2012, 14:53

Skip, I think it would be polite to reword the Baby Bjorn question, which currently I feel may be deemed a little insulting to those who did use and did like them. :wink:

Before you start worrying, no I don't mean me. I just wouldn't want to see something which I know is well-intentioned turn into a Rah Aren't We Amazing And Other Options Are Inferior kind of thread.

Sorry for sticking my beak in. I'll wander off again now! :)
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby skip » 03 Aug 2012, 17:05

Point taken, will do it now. :)
skip

Postby Ruckus » 24 Nov 2012, 17:16

I have a real question! Do Moby wraps wash and tumble dry ok? I need mine all day every day but it really could do with a wash. Short of buying another one to have 2 in rotation, is it possible to tumble dry a Moby? I have a washer/dryer which doesn't have tumble dry settings, so can't dry it on low. Too scared to dry it before I know it'll be ok, because I'll be screwed without it!!
Ruckus

Postby skip » 24 Nov 2012, 17:28

I don't have a tumble drier but mine always dried easily overnight hung over the bannisters. What does the label say?
skip

Postby aliantha » 24 Nov 2012, 18:34

Yep, they can be tumble dried on low. Mine shrank a bit afterwards, but they stretch out again. When you're wearing it for the first time after drying it, you might need to adjust the tightness a couple of times as it stretches.

eta: I've just noticed that you said you can't change the setting of your drier. I think I used the high setting anyway and it was fine. I didn't tumble it until it was fully dry, because our washer-dryer is pathetic and takes forever to dry anything.
Last edited by aliantha on 24 Nov 2012, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
DD - Oct '11
aliantha

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 24 Nov 2012, 18:43

I don't have a tumble drier so HAD to have two moby's to use in rotation :mona
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby KateGladTidings » 24 Nov 2012, 18:47

I'm pretty sure I tumble dried my moby...it was the only wrap I had when É was little and don't think I could have waited for it to dry
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Ruckus » 24 Nov 2012, 19:16

It says to tumble dry low but I don't have different tumble drier settings - it's just hot! Bit worried about that...
Ruckus

Postby Mellowmum » 21 Jun 2013, 12:20

Hi, i am new here and saw your post. I was given a woven wrap for my baby and had no idea what to do with it! My partner and I must have looked like clowns in the car park at the mall trying to get it all sorted! We finally looked on you tube and found some great demo video's that were really helpful. Now I can put the wrap in and baby in it in no time at all!

I love the woven wrap for the following reasons:
it gives lots of extra support on my lower back and across shoulders
baby is nice and close to me
Incredibly versatile as can be used for side carry, sling carry, forward facing or facing me, back carry.
I find that now baby is older (6 months)she likes to face forward, and has much more range of movement than in a traditional front pack, but is still very well supported
When she gets tired I turn her around and she snuggles up to me, if she falls asleep I just pull the wrap up over her head to support her.
I put the wrap on quiet snug prior to putting baby in for the best support.
When we are out for a big day and she gets sick of being in the buggy, I just whip out the wrap and she loves it!

I recommend these wraps to all my friends with babys. I hope this helps, Good luck with making your decision, go with your instincts and Im sure you'll find what works best for you and baby :)
Mellowmum

Postby Jelly Belly » 21 Jun 2013, 12:42

- Best wrap/carry for a newborn?

I am using a Close Caboo with Bam, which can be easily found on Amazon, NCT, John Lewis, Mothercare and Argos, among others, as well as the Close website itself (where I got my designer version in the sale section - yay!). My SIL, a sling virgin until baby #3, also decided this was a newborn essential when bubba #4 came along. It holds the baby like a front carry with a stretchy wrap but uses rings to adjust and tighten so it's really good for anyone nervous about using a proper wrap.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Next

Return to Baby-Led Transport