Anyone been to Arran?

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Anyone been to Arran?

Postby A_W » 10 Jul 2014, 10:55

We're off here in 9 days. Anyone else been? We'll have lots of time to explore and rest. Anyone got any things we must do whilst on the island? :D
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Re: Anyone been to Arran?

Postby Morlyte » 10 Jul 2014, 16:40

I haven't ever been but do dream of it! Have fun.
Morlyte

Postby qbm » 10 Jul 2014, 17:17

Well I wrote a post earlier and then deleted it when I realised I was talking about Bute. Was just telling OH and he has informed that I was talking about Arran afterall! Baby brain? Moi?

Kildonan beach - we camped there, there are seals - is beautiful!
Sea kayaking
Fish supper in Brodick

It's a lovely place!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Morlyte » 10 Jul 2014, 20:59

Is Kat close to Arran or are my geographical skills letting me down yet again? :oops: Well checked on a map and no, she doesnt but I am quite sure that she answered my Arran question once and knew lots. Why dont you speak to her on FB?
Morlyte

Postby Disco » 12 Jul 2014, 07:25

Arran is lovely, we go there at least once a year. to see friends and family... am now having a complete mind block of things to see and do there though...

As MJ said Kildonan beach is lovely. I've been a bit disappointed by the fish and chips at Brodick though...The charity shop next door to it on the other hand, is a goldmine :) (They are both right at Ferry terminal)
If you're taking the car, do drive round the island a bit because it really changes a lot from one side to the next.

There are lots of nice beaches and pubs (less so in Brodick) so I'm sure you'll have a nice time wherever you are. The the weather is dreadful and you're in need of some indoor entertainment the Auchrannie resort in Brodick has a nice swimming pool which is open to the public after 10.30am, they also have a bistro up the stars with a small soft play room attached which has come in handy in the past.
Oh brodick castle is nice too, haven't been inside in years, but kicked about the grounds and playpark more recently.

And If you or OH are into beers you should check out the arran brewery too...

Have fun.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby qbm » 12 Jul 2014, 07:55

The brewery. Of course!

Auchrannie do various outdoors activities - we did the sea kayaking through them. http://www.auchrannie.co.uk/pamper-play/adventure.html

ETA There's also the cheesemonger - I remember being fairly underwhelmed by it (there's a viewing window - I think I expected more) but if you can't normally buy Arran cheese locally then it would be worth popping into the shop to stock up. They make lots of lovely, lovely things.
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby catkin » 12 Jul 2014, 14:24

Yes but as I was 3 at the time all I remember is the beaches having nice shells on!
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby A_W » 12 Jul 2014, 14:41

Thanks everyone. We're in the south so should be near the best beaches and we're taking the car so can go everywhere. Am prepared for midges as much as possible. If they are bad we'll just change plans that day. Cheese probably isn't great for us since A can't eat more than a teaspoon of it each day so wouldn't be fair for him. But thanks for the other suggestions. Looking forward to seal spotting and hopefully seeing some sharks or dolphins? :D
A_W

Postby Disco » 15 Jul 2014, 06:19

hopefully you'll see all of those. I've only ever seen seals (lots of them) but you might be lucky ;)

We stayed in the south in Feb (Kildonan) it was lovely.
Have fun.

Disco

Postby A_W » 04 Aug 2014, 17:11

Just to update all of you who gave me tips. We went to loads of places and had a fabulous time with not that much rest:
- Kildonan beach was amazing and we loved it plus only 2min from our cottage, we went 5 times and stayed most of the day each time.
- Glenashdale Falls walk was brilliant and the Giant's Graves too (plus added bonus of it having been on Green Balloon Club so H recognised it and was impressed)
- Holy Isle boat trip
- King's Cave's walk - caves were very impressive
- Standing Stones at Machrie Moor were impressive too.
- Lochranza beach for seals
- Brodick Bar for lovely lunch
- Cafe Thyme for a great lunch and fantastic playground
- Playgrounds at Whiting Bay
- Sand sculpture competition at Whiting Bay
- Arran Aromatics making soap and great for xmas pressies.
- Heritage Museum did a children's day and I got to try weaving for 2 hours whilst H made lots of felt balls.
- Brodick Castle grounds and adventure playground
- Corrie for a beautiful view and great woodwork shop
- Arran brewery for my dh...
- Arran distillery for lunch (we're not keen on whiskey but lunch was lovely)
- Charity shop near the ferry - was a gold mine! Thanks for that tip Disco!

We didn't need to go to the indoor pool as the weather was so good so never made it to Auchrannie Resort. We will definitely go back again when the children are older to try some sea kayaking and pony trekking plus some more serious walks. x
A_W

Postby FestiveTidings » 04 Aug 2014, 18:11

That sounds fab A_W!

I'm glad you all had a good time. What was the name of your cottage? Would you recommend it? Arran is on our places to visit in the next 5 years list :)
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby qbm » 04 Aug 2014, 18:12

Sounds amazing!! So glad you had such a lovely holiday :D
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Disco » 05 Aug 2014, 10:31

Wow, sounds like you fitted loads in,I don't think I ever manage half that when on holiday! Glad you enjoyed it.

Disco

Postby babydsmummy » 18 Aug 2014, 18:12

Ooh missed this thread but found it whilst searching for the charity shop thread! We were talking about Scotland next year and you've given me inspiration! Off to google accommodation on Arran...
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Return to The Great Outdoors