Holiday swimming questions!

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Holiday swimming questions!

Postby Sallie » 26 May 2014, 13:11

We're going to Eurocamp in France in a couple of weeks. If anyone has been, do you know whether you have to wear swiming caps in the pools (before children I once got caught out in a public pool in Italy where you weren't allowed to swim cap-less, just wondering if France is the same)?

AND, we've hired a travel cot for Babybel who'll be about 9 months when we go. Now I've got the wobbles about him sleeping on a travel cot for a week, you know considering how often the matress (if there is a matress other than the one that comes with the cot even). Am I being silly?

Also, are the flotation vests worthwhile? I've always used armbands and tummy band with my eldest but am wondering whether to invest in a splashabout for Babybel as it says it'll do until age 3.

Thanks in advance for ideas!
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Re: Holiday swimming questions!

Postby emzit » 26 May 2014, 18:12

I've swum in a French campground pool without a cap before. They did have a no clothes rule so DH couldn't wear his boardies.

I haven't had anything other than tummy bubble and armbands for muncher but I would consider a floating chair for snuffler but for me it would depend on how much it would get used.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby PerpetualMadness » 26 May 2014, 18:14

Yes, it's pretty common to have to wear speedos or short style swimmers rather than board short style swimmers even for kids.
PerpetualMadness

Postby RJandA » 26 May 2014, 18:25

emzit wrote:I've swum in a French campground pool without a cap before. They did have a no clothes rule so DH couldn't wear his boardies.

Tee hee for a sec I really thought you meant it was a nudist swimming pool :mona
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby mamapup » 26 May 2014, 18:34

RJandA wrote:
emzit wrote:I've swum in a French campground pool without a cap before. They did have a no clothes rule so DH couldn't wear his boardies.

Tee hee for a sec I really thought you meant it was a nudist swimming pool :mona

Me too.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby emzit » 26 May 2014, 20:46

In my defense I posted during the 3.30am feed!

Only bathers allowed.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kitcameron » 26 May 2014, 21:32

We have a flotation vest but not used it yet as it looks too big to me for Little G. It does say it's for kids aged 2+ but PILs thought it'd be fine, well it probably will be when she grows into it.

Last time we were on holiday I saw another child with one and the best was around her ears and her chin was in the water, so probably depends how confident a swimmer lo is and how well it fits probably. She looked to be struggling with it tbh.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby eterna » 27 May 2014, 05:07

PerpetualMadness wrote:Yes, it's pretty common to have to wear speedos or short style swimmers rather than board short style swimmers even for kids.

Wow, I'm constantly amazed at the differences between Europe and North America in the simplest of things. The only people that would even own speedos here would be any hardcore professional swim athletes. They must make a lot of money selling speedos to American tourists.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Sallie » 27 May 2014, 09:30

To be fair, Eterna, most English blokes would run a mile at the idea of speedos too! My husband won't be too impressed. What a bizarre rule, is there any reason for it!?
But at least it won't be a nudist pool!
Thanks for the responses!
Sallie

Postby emzit » 27 May 2014, 11:56

I vaguely remember DH saying something about it being a hygiene thing, they don't want people to swim in clothes that can be worn outside the pool picking up dirt, etc. A big crazy.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Lily » 27 May 2014, 14:08

We swim in lakes and rivers in France rather than pools, so there may be more stringent rules (ie some rules) in place at a pool - but IME lots of men there wear boxer-style swim shorts rather than briefs. Not quite as modesty-sparing as board shorts but a bit less exposing than speedos.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Sallie » 27 May 2014, 19:08

emzit wrote:I vaguely remember DH saying something about it being a hygiene thing, they don't want people to swim in clothes that can be worn outside the pool picking up dirt, etc. A big crazy.

Must be to do with keeping the filters unblocked, like the swim hats. It's hard to imagine clothes could make the pool more dirty when you think how many bottoms are in the water!
Sallie

Return to The Great Outdoors