Can I co-sleep on an airbed?

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Can I co-sleep on an airbed?

Postby Mummyto1 » 17 Aug 2013, 13:13

We've booked a campsite for the bank holiday, so we are finally going! Last time we booked one no.2 was about the age no. 3 is now and there was a hurricane and driving rain so we didn't go. Various things have got in the way from now until then.

So, excited! But, we are totally unprepared. We don't really want to buy too much until we see how it goes. The only key thing I'm worried about is sleeping - as it needs to be comfy and warm so that (a) the small ones aren't awake all night and (b) I can convince DH (who comes from a non-camping family) that camping is as great as I say it is!

We are borrowing my parents family tent and they have airbeds to lend us, but I'm a bit worried about co-sleeping on an airbed. Feels a bit unsafe to me - in the same way I wouldn't sleep on a waterbed. I would sleep separately to DH with the baby. If I pump it up really hard do you think it would be safe, or is it a definite no-no.

R actually sleeps pretty well on his own sometimes but we've just taken him out of the moses basket (when he's not in our bed) so I'm not sure how sensible it is to go back to that, but we don't have anything else I can think of and he is rolling all over the place now. He's 4.5 months.

What do you campers and small babies do?
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Re: Can I co-sleep on an airbed?

Postby Morlyte » 17 Aug 2013, 13:22

I coslept in an airbed. Noah was on the aribed and we put his shepskin on top of the air bed and he lay on that. It was much easier than I thought it would be.
Morlyte

Postby Nix » 17 Aug 2013, 13:29

We coslept on an air bed with Pippa last month. Make sure it's well blown up and you will be fine! I really recommend ready beds. The boys have one each and we have a double. They were really comfy and easy to use.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Mummyto1 » 17 Aug 2013, 14:11

Oh great, good to know you've done it. Maybe we'll give it a whirl then. He does sleep in the crook of my arm so that does keep him in quite a good position. I can't tell if all five of us in one tent will be lovely or a disaster!
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby ToothFairy » 17 Aug 2013, 14:34

Elsie and I co-slept on a double air bed when she was seven weeks. We pumped it up well, it was fine. Have fun!!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Return to The Great Outdoors