More Bell Tent Q's - Midges

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

More Bell Tent Q's - Midges

Postby KatGoldLIN » 05 Jul 2013, 09:26

Ok, so I am going to be buying a bell tent this week. I know all of the cons, etc, but we do have somewhere to dry it out AND I need it for a photoshoot in September anyway. Plus, there is a seriously sentimental thing as DH and I met at a summercamp that used Bell Tents...

that said, we need to get the inner tents and I have been looking at Bell Tent UK and Soulpad, but also found this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solace-5-Metr ... 20d402a576

I am really tempted by the Solace 5, as it has a mesh door. DH is allergic to midges (and I can't take the whining) so it seems like this is a really good option? Thoughts? I can't find any reviews. The photo makes it look smaller than the 5m Bell, but measurement wise it seems the same?
Last edited by KatGoldLIN on 05 Jul 2013, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Re: More Bell Tent Q's - Blacks of Greenock

Postby ToothFairy » 05 Jul 2013, 10:25

We have this bell tent. It's lovely! It has mesh doors and windows, and a zip in groundsheet. It's cheaper than the one you were looking at, but doesn't have the internal tents. Personally, I think having internal tents kind of spoils the whole point of a bell tent!

It's really quick to pitch (10-15 minutes), and to take down as well. We love out bell tent :D We also went to the flea market and got some lovely old wooden boxes and trunks to furnish it with. All I need now is a chandelier and I'll be happy!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Re: More Bell Tent Q's - Blacks of Greenock

Postby KatGoldLIN » 05 Jul 2013, 11:49

Oh that looks good! Thanks for the tip, TF!
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Re: More Bell Tent Q's - Midges

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 05 Jul 2013, 16:11

When I looked into bell tents I found there were loads of different ones and the actual brand 'bell tents' wasn't necessarily the best. It depends what you want it for but the gauge of canvas isn't brilliant. I can't remember the name of the company but there was a place in Devon I think that did really good ones with better canvas..... 'canvas and cast' rings a bell :wink:

Sorry, no help on the midge front except dh is also allergic, goes like the elephant man. All very annoying...
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Return to The Great Outdoors