Electric hook up or not? And other camping questions.

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Electric hook up or not? And other camping questions.

Postby Nix » 08 Jun 2013, 07:02

We've decided on a 6 man tent finally and are purchasing this week. We have SIMs for the kids to sleep on and LED lanterns for night. We have a camp stove we are borrowing. Is it worth getting buying an electric hook up wire? I am thinking for charging mobiles in case of emergencies and for Harvey to charge his DS which would be really useful when he needs to sit still for more than 5 minutes.

What electric hook up cable would we need?

And where can I buy a double SIM?
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Re: Electric hook up or not? And other camping questions.

Postby Nix » 08 Jun 2013, 13:12

This is the tent we got for £80:

http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/dir ... 5-2859.prd

We got £10 off as the lady applied a code at the till. I know it's not going to be the best quality but for a few weekends away I think it will do the job.

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby emzit » 09 Jun 2013, 01:06

Since we've had muncher we normally get a powered site. We use it for charging stuff and we take a table lamp, just makes life a bit easier. Not sure what power is like fr camping there but we normally just have a long extension lead and a four way adapter.

I am pretty sure our double SIM is Vango.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Spanner » 09 Jun 2013, 11:30

We have never used hook up. We charge phones in the car but there would be people on the site to help in an emergency. If i went for longer than a few nights i would consider it for an electric cool box but i kind of like not having it in a getting back to nature way. Of course a nice toilet block with hot showers is still a necessity! ;-)
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby ToothFairy » 09 Jun 2013, 19:42

We're just back from another weekend camping :D We don't have a hook-up, although I think we may get one soon for an electric cool box. Not worried about charging my phone, it's quite nice to switch it off for a bit!

My double SIM is an Outwell. We also have three single ones from Aldi. DH says they're OK, but not as good as mine :D

Agree about hot showers, also hot water for dish washing!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby mummyknowsbest » 09 Jun 2013, 19:48

We used electric for the mini fridge as I found we were having to buy butter for toast every day as it was going bad. LP was also drinking huge amounts of cows milk when we last went so it made sense economically.
LittlePom born on October 14th 2007
BigSis born on June 26th 2004
mummyknowsbest

Postby Nix » 09 Jun 2013, 20:59

Right so we're going to try without 'lecky. It'll be ok! Have beds for us all now. Not sure whether to bother with chairs for the kids? We have some they can use but they're adult size. I am guessing they can do without milk for a weekend, they don't drink huge amounts. We will probably eat out a bit so can buy perishable foods for one meal a day and eat easy to keep/heat foods for the rest of the meals.

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby ToothFairy » 09 Jun 2013, 21:06

This weekend we only took two chairs, one child sized and one adult sized. We spent most of the time sitting on the picnic blanket.

Food wise we took tinned curry and naan bread (ready in about five minutes), and sausages, veg and halloumi for a barbecue. We took the sausages frozen, and lots of freezer packs too. It was all fine to eat on Saturday night. We also took sliced bread and marmite/peanut butter/nutella to make sandwiches. Porridge for breakfast, the camp site shop sold fresh milk. Plenty of crisps to eat whilst drinking wine once the kids have gone to sleep too!

Have fun :D
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Rahgamuffin » 10 Jun 2013, 05:38

Does where you're going have a shower block with power? There are a few that we have been to recently that have plugs you can use while you wash up etc. (or sit sadly on a bench while it charges slowly!).

If you don't have a cool box, take a bucket and keep the milk in a bucket of water in the shade, should last the weekend.
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Return to The Great Outdoors