10 month old, camping, what do I need?

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

10 month old, camping, what do I need?

Postby skip » 02 Sep 2012, 20:39

Meep! We're getting a few free nights at the bell tent campsite DH worked at earlier in the year, woop woop! So luckily lots of stuff is included:

big old tent
big old bed
fire pit
seating
lots of cooking implements
crocker/cutlery
cool box
washing stuff

And we need to bring:

bedding
food and drink
clothes
PJs and blankets
nappies/wipes
more clothes
towels
wellies
coats and waterproofs (reeeeally need to find some for R otherwise he will be extremely filthy/wet or carried the entire time)
books/a few toys
water bottles/sippy cups
slings
um, marshmallows?

What else do we need? I'm toying with the idea of the antilop (easily transported, somewhere to stick R that he can't escape from, and so we dont' have to hold him on our laps to eat) - is that weird/stupid/bad camping etiquette? Will we be LAUGHED out of the 'glamp'?! ;)
skip

Re: 10 month old, camping, what do I need?

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 02 Sep 2012, 21:50

What's R going to sleep in? The first time we went with lotty this year she had a normal sleeping bag but struggled, the second time I took a proper, thick, gro-bag and she slept really well.

Possible things to add to the list
Cooking oil
Lighter
Capol?
Torch
Loo roll....

Don't worry too much, you always manage with what you have and people are generally happy to loan what yu can't manage without!
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby LemonJuice » 02 Sep 2012, 22:13

Autumn nights are pretty cool so we took our duvet this weekend to make sure we were properly warm.

Multiple layers of baby grows would be good too.

You might want:

liquid hand gel
Washing up liquid (bowl?)
Plastic carrier bags a plenty for rubbish.
Loads of snacks - we grazed all day.
Freeze your milk - it makes a great ice pack for the cool box

Have fun - I'm a recent camping convert! (Slightly!)
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby Morlyte » 03 Sep 2012, 05:37

For the baby you just need boobs, blankets and maybe a sheepskin to lie on? Our sheepskin proved invaluable when I took Noah camping as a baby, we still tae it with us now! I always take the antilop camping.

Camping lights?
Tea towels.

I tend to buy large freezer bags and bag up toys, so we have a bag of duplo, colourng books/paper with pencils or crayons, cars, books, that sort of thing.

Dont forget your skewers for your marshmallows!
Morlyte

Postby emzit » 03 Sep 2012, 07:57

I would take the antilop!
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby skip » 03 Sep 2012, 13:34

Cheers guys!

Loo roll and washing up stuff included I think. Borrowing torches and an extra cool box from the ILs. Got some grobags somewhere, will bung R in one of them, although we're likely to all be in the same bed so hopefully body heat will help keep us warm too!

Right, food. I'm bringing loads of grazey snacks for the boys as M never really stops eating these days. ;) I thought we could do hot dogs and a salad the first night, eggs for breakfast, a walk along the river and a pub lunch, then something else at the camp that evening and cereal/fry up the following morning. I'm stuck on what to do the 2nd night - pasta feels a bit boring. Maybe grill some chicken for fajitas or something? Inspire me, campers, please! :)

Like the toy bag idea, Morlyte.

Main thing I'm worried about is finding a waterproof all in one for R before Weds.... My friend said she'd look hers out of the attic but she's notoriously crap at getting round to stuff. Hmm, will check asda/matalan I think.
skip

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Sep 2012, 14:54

Waterproof all in one - debenhams and tx maxx have them on sale!!

Enjoy your Glamping!!

And yes, the antilop is a great idea.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby sully » 03 Sep 2012, 14:56

sounds like you have it sorted. Take the antilop. We debated it and it was the BEST thing we packed! We made pasta sauce and froze it then took it frozen in the cool bag so we could use it a few days in (that was a good tip i found on here. TFs maybe?)

you are making me want to go camping now. We have a week booked off in a few weeks time but the weather /size of spiders in September is seriously putting me off!
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 03 Sep 2012, 15:06

Taking the Antilop is a great idea, we really could have done with something on our trips this year.

Otherwise nothing much to add, sorry! Just have fun.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby skip » 03 Sep 2012, 15:34

Ooh just thought of making a pancake mix and bringing it in a jar.... :D Somehow we've left alcohol of the list! Will remedy that asap.

Oh and Found M's old waterproof - size 2-3 but fits if we roll up the sleeves and legs. Phew. M's wellies are splitting and let in the wet but will line them with carrier bags I think. Some lovely walks/pubs nearby so looking forward to it immensely now, although DH is being less than useless about preparation/packing/planning as always. Grrrrrrr. If he arrives with no clothes he will only have himself to blame. :mona
skip

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Sep 2012, 15:36

DH will be naked camping then? Mental images!!!!!!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby skip » 03 Sep 2012, 15:52

A bit too close to nature for my liking, although it would be very amusing. Why is he so unbothered about going anywhere prepared? I asked him what he thought we should cook while we're there, he says: "Ah don't worry, it'll be ok." How will it be ok if we don't bring any food? "It'll be fine." No, seriously, how will it be fine? We at least need to decide what we need to bring so we're not eating breadsticks and bananas for two days. I suppose by "it's fine" he means: "you'll sort it out, yeah?" Arg.
skip

Postby aliantha » 03 Sep 2012, 17:26

I'm a bit jealous that R can't escape from the Antilop. DD has perfected her turn-around-and-stand-up technique...
DD - Oct '11
aliantha

Postby skip » 03 Sep 2012, 17:32

Haha, oh dear. I think maybe he's just too...chunky for that kind of manoeuvre. :)
skip

Postby Spanner » 03 Sep 2012, 17:46

Disposable bbq. Take frozen meat in your cool box and take it out in the morning. Second night sorted and blokes cook :)
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Next

Return to The Great Outdoors