10 month old, camping, what do I need?

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Re: 10 month old, camping, what do I need?

Postby LemonJuice » 03 Sep 2012, 18:24

This weekend I did Jacket tates at home. Wrapped them in tin foil and then warmed them on a disposable BBQ. Brought some tuna and mayo and coleslaw - Delish!
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby Morlyte » 03 Sep 2012, 18:28

Oh we take pancake mix, in a washed bottle but I saw an awesome idea for putting in a washed up squeeze sauce bottle.

I generally take pesto too in a tub and some fresh pasta.
Morlyte

Postby skip » 04 Sep 2012, 16:38

Wheee so excited now! Made pancake mix (I've seen that squeezy bottle link too, Morlyte, fantastic), made a big quinoa salad to add at least a few veggies to the meat/carb fest, made a spice mix for fajitas and we have most of the morning tomorrow to pack. Not sure how we're going to get the duvet in our miniscule car :? Kids may end up buried in the backseat. Weather looks good, DH will hopefully cheer the fuck up and all will be shiny....
skip

Postby skip » 07 Sep 2012, 18:07

Phew. Back, exhausted, but it was fantastic. M would live there if we'd let him. We went to this place - about 10 bell tents in a little wood, fire pits for cooking and eco toilets and showers. Much more hunter-gatherer than tents in a field and it was lovely cooking over a proper open fire. The tents were awesome - they came with a double futon and two little single z-beds which we put all together to make one massive bed which, with our duvets, was really comfy.

We went for a pub lunch and then romped around the wood (and on-site sandpit) until dinner, slung M in bed and R in the wrap and sat up drinking cider by the fire. It got fecking FREEZING at night though - oh my word, more so than I've ever experienced camping. M slept like a rock but R was pretty restless, and screamed like a banshee the second night poor babe. I think he had teething pain or belly ache or something but I ended up sleeping curled up in a tense ball around him keeping him in the exact position that he seemed to be able to tolerate. :? Still, using the kids as hot water bottles worked quite well. Somehow though, I was the only one to get munched on my mozzies - ach.

M loved it so, so much. All except for about an hour each morning until it warmed up a bit, and he refused to poo in the eco toilets because he was scared of the hole! Second day we went to a local town for a picnic in the park and bought the kids a few more layers of clothes from Oxfam (so much for DH's snarky "brought enough stuff have we?" comments :mona )! DH did most of the fire making and cooking which was lovely. I actually read half a book while R napped. :o Weather was beautiful and scenery was lovely. A herd of cows grazed in the field next door every day and came right up to the fence to say hello. The campsite is right next to the Bluebell Railway line and steam trains thundered past throughout the day, so close we could wave to the drivers. Lovely walks through fields and woods and little villages, and we found a little bower which was obviously a Gruffalo house. M loved collecting kindling and firewood and was utterly mesmerised by the open fire. R was hardcore - not bothered at all by the cold really, and just stared wide eyed and rosy-cheeked at everything around him. :D Oh, and R and I saw a cute little bat at dusk one evening, and we heard tawny owls at night. Ahh it was lovely. A few rather unpleasantly cold and frustrating moments here and there but no major arguments and the good enormously outweighed the uncomfortable times.

We got home and M said: "Camping is much better than coming home, isn't it?" and wants to go again tomorrow. :D
skip

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 07 Sep 2012, 18:24

Sounds fabulous skip :D im glad you had a lovey time and the boys enjoyed it :D
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby skip » 07 Sep 2012, 18:28

Hahaa, how many times have I described it as "lovely" in that post?! :D It was though, utterly lovely.
skip

Postby RubLINester » 07 Sep 2012, 19:56

Oh that does sound lovely Skip. I've bookmarked that place for next year, hopefully!
RubLINester

Previous

Return to The Great Outdoors