Good site for groups AND fires!!!

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Good site for groups AND fires!!!

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 30 Jul 2012, 10:48

There was some grumbling a while ago about the lack of campfires allowed on sites. Well, we've just come back from a site in Suffolk that allows campfires anywhere on site! Be warned, the website is dreadful: http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/.

Pros:
Good for groups - no designated pitches so you can make good camps
Campfires allowed anywhere, as are barbeques
Good for kids - things to explore and do

Cons:
Lack of 'rules' mean that it's pretty noisy until quite late
Very busy
Not great toilets/showers, and not enough of them
No level pitches anywhere, it's a hilly site, plus the remains of fireplaces make it tricky.

Having said all that, it's a really relaxed site and very friendly. We went with friends and had a great time.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Re: Good site for groups AND fires!!!

Postby Morlyte » 30 Jul 2012, 12:45

Oh you went? We tried to book in last year and it was full, ten again this year when I tried to book in May!

My boss goes every year, how did you find the wood charge?
Morlyte

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 30 Jul 2012, 13:04

I think we booked in March or something! Can't remember, friend did it.

Wood charge? Ah, um :oops: . DH and friend's DH went scavenging! They met a woman who happened to be leaving and she had a great big heap of half-burned logs (and a few unburned) that she gave them, and then they got kindling from the woods. No one commented. We could have bought a wheelbarrow but it could have been too much for only three days, it was quite a lot of wood.

The shop had a pretty good selection of beer, wine and cider but was only ok for everything else. And although the reviews rave about the friendly owner, I thought he was a bit irritating! But the site was good.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Morlyte » 30 Jul 2012, 13:05

Next year I will be booking on the day they open. :D Tangham does camp fires too but that is booked WELL in advance!
Morlyte

Return to The Great Outdoors