Camping Food

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Re: Camping Food

Postby fourweewonders » 22 Jun 2012, 14:23

we made lots of fires in guides too.

french toast was always a must do on guide camps.
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby t&n's mummy » 22 Jun 2012, 14:26

Oo I'm a queen scout too, and a holder of an explorer belt. Camping is one of the things on my list of stuff we will do when we return to the uk, so watching this and campsite thread with interest.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby KatGoldLIN » 22 Jun 2012, 14:41

So we would catch and eat fish mostly when camping. And then eat sausages, burgers, navajo tacos. I don't actually think I'd have seen a gas stove until we moved here.

I really do not like gas stoves. They seem really unsafe with kids around.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby biccytoria » 22 Jun 2012, 14:50

We have a 'kitchen' for it to go on, safer than a fire, imo, I do love a good campfire but am ridiculously nervous with kids around.

The trouble in the UK is that you can't just fish and eat what you catch. To fish for edible river fish you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to the person who owns the fishing rights, on top of having a fishing licence.
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Postby FestiveTidings » 22 Jun 2012, 15:40

cloudcuckoo wrote:
sweetcheeks wrote:It can be quick an easy and usually done on an open fire (husband is a queen scout, it's a point of pride that he can light a fire in a monsoon!).

really? Am also a queen's scout, and found that the scouts were not interested in fires in the way that my pyromaniac guide leader had been. Never lit a campfire in 4 years of Venture Scouting - always a gas stove. Wusses.

My husband was a scout in Newcastle - gas stoves were used under duress. If it wasn't greenfield it wasn't camping! That's after you hiked up a mountain in the snow that is! Truly though it depends on the group and the leader. Some go for skills and others go for practicality!

Fab that you got the queen scout! I'm a teeny but jealous :-)

ThomasMummy - I'm impressed! As an ex ESL I know what's involved with both the Queen Scout and the Explorer Belt! Well done you - wish I'd known you 5 years ago when I was trying to motivate my unit! Lol.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 22 Jun 2012, 16:22

Pre-children: much alcohol was consumed during the evening, late breakfast was bacon butty affair and tea BBQ type stuff. Big open fire (farmers field), marshmallows on sticks (because that's a compulsory part of camping!)

Now: who knows.... not really tried it much but suspect much less drinking :oops: probably still do bacon butty's for breakfast but may take cereal too. Probably still do BBQ stuff but might take some potatoes to cook in the fire?

Pasta? No. Highly unlikely.

Pub - possibly, if we could find a cheap family friendly one.

Have been known to send dh for fish and chips so we ate fish KG, any good?
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby KatGoldLIN » 22 Jun 2012, 16:26

biccytoria wrote:
The trouble in the UK is that you can't just fish and eat what you catch. To fish for edible river fish you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to the person who owns the fishing rights, on top of having a fishing licence.

I know. It makes me really sad. Not that I even eat fish any more, but its just depressing.

SN - you sound like my kind of camper (tho I had never eaten a bacon butty until I moved over here. 23 years with out one was too long!!
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby TravellingMum » 22 Jun 2012, 16:27

I am rubbish at this as we can't do camping here so no help.
But I do remember having a hobo stew once with friends when we were camping. They were from montana, we were in the middle of Asia. It was brilliant. Had to find firewood, lit fire, then my friend made up little packages with foil and burger meat, sliced potatoes and onions ... tasted amazing.
Yup you guys know how to do camping :)
Mum to Little Panda and Wee Monkey
TravellingMum

Postby blackberrycrimble » 22 Jun 2012, 16:31

Must go camping. I had forgotten that it means fun food.

I haven't camped with children, to my shame, but before kids it would be basic - tinned things mostly.

We cooked mackerel we'd caught from the sea when camping in Devon once. Memorable as it was my first fish eating for about 20 years. I wanted to go out, catch it, kill it and fry it in a pan. Admittedly over a gas stove.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 22 Jun 2012, 16:50

katgold wrote:SN - you sound like my kind of camper (tho I had never eaten a bacon butty until I moved over here. 23 years with out one was too long!!

So it's not just our haphazard approach to parenting, life and particularly contraception we have in common :wink:
<looks over at small child filling a train carriage with cheese during tea time and wonders if she is supposed to be stopping such behaviour? Nah, he's quite and happy :D >
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby ches » 22 Jun 2012, 16:52

I'm surprised you ate what you caught KG. The waters of TN are so polluted that it is recommended that children & women of childbearing age do not eat a thing! Safe consumption for men is one or two servings/year IIRC - I didn't pay much attention since I was a pregnant woman when I happened upon the data.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby t&n's mummy » 22 Jun 2012, 17:40

Thanks sweet cheeks, it's not often people know about the eb.. Can't say we did all that much cooking on fires though for either of them.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby FestiveTidings » 25 Jun 2012, 19:06

Thomas'Mummy wrote:Thanks sweet cheeks, it's not often people know about the eb.. Can't say we did all that much cooking on fires though for either of them.

It's old school now. Just something you do with Scouts as an activity. If I see one more chocolate banana or dough twist I'll scream!! Lol.

Katgold - I'm well impressed with the fish catching and eating scenario. Only thing I've ever caught while camping is a few midgies after having my mouth open for too long!!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Previous

Return to The Great Outdoors