Nz or oz?

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Nz or oz?

Postby t&n's mummy » 07 Jun 2012, 15:28

We have this fab opportunity to go for a few weeks, most expenses covered, we are thinking of hiring a camper van to tour around, but which place would you go to?
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Re: Nz or oz?

Postby jvnt » 07 Jun 2012, 15:35

NZ, it's smaller and packed with some amazing scenery and outdoorsy stuff to do. I think the distances involved are more realistic to cover comfortably in a couple of weeks, especially travelling with small people. Australia is beautiful and has lots to do as well but the distances involved are phenomenal, you'd spend most of your time driving. NZ is very set up for camper vanning around.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby AwayinaChive » 07 Jun 2012, 17:43

I liked Australia better. NZ felt too much like the UK to me. Small and cramped. That's my memory from abuot 7 years ago, and I was living in Scotland so comparing it to there. I loved the open spaciousness of Australia. But I'm American so that's what I like!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby twilightfan » 07 Jun 2012, 19:27

I'd go to NZ because I'm a huge fan of the LOTR's films and it just looks bloody amazing :) Also, my friend just returned and said it was stunningly beautiful.

Of course Oz looks stunningly beautiful too but as someone said, the distances involved would mean that you could probably only cover a small area of it in a couple of weeks.
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby Fozza » 07 Jun 2012, 19:36

I'd do NZ. My sister and friend both did camper van and loved it. More interesting landscapes.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby FlossiesMum » 07 Jun 2012, 20:34

What time of year? If it's winter over there I'd be concerned about weeks of cold and rain in NZ and I'd head to the warmer parts of Oz. If it's going to be summer I'd go to NZ.

I spent 7.5 weeks travelling around NZ (we did car + private rooms in backpackers places....was heaps cheaper than campervan hire) and 5 months driving/camping around Australia. The distances in Australia are huge though, it is much less feasible to see a variety of places in a matter of weeks without spending a heap of time driving. That said, if you pick your places carefully you could still have a great time.
Greenwich & Lewisham Sling Library - 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. http://www.facebook.com/greenwichlewishamslings
FlossiesMum

Postby squirt » 08 Jun 2012, 00:04

if you're going now, go to Alice Springs or WA, absolutely stunning. rest of this part of the world is cold, queensland is a tat boring.
squirt

Postby emzit » 08 Jun 2012, 00:18

I may be a bit biased, but I would do Oz. If you want to pack in a load of stuff with minimal travelling, I can't recommend Tasmania highly enough. The scenery is beautiful, it's fantastic if you like outdoorsy things as the state is two thirds wilderness. Gorgeous little cities with great history (Hobart was the second European settlement after Sydney), lovely wine regions, gorgeous beaches... and as it is small the distances to travel aren't too bad.
http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby camper » 08 Jun 2012, 00:57

I haven't been to NZ, but if you decided on Oz I'd be happy to recommend places to go and things to do in "boring QLD"... I mean, Great Barrier Reef, subtropical or tropical rainforest, outback, pah! There's nowt to see here :wink:
camper

Postby squirt » 08 Jun 2012, 01:20

camper wrote:I Great Barrier Reef, subtropical or tropical rainforest, outback, pah! There's nowt to see here :wink:

hihi, I should have woken up before posting. Nelson Bay, near Newcastle is much nicer for diving, though. GBR is tacky. :wink: not that you can swim in box jelly fish shark season anyway.

no idea what it's like there in summer time. I love Victoria in summer and Tasmania is probably stunning too, but haven't been there yet.
NZ is lovely in summer if you get a decent season. We were there last year and seemed to just follow the rain around. Don't go in a la-nina summer, it just rains everywhere.
squirt

Postby t&n's mummy » 08 Jun 2012, 07:57

Oo lots to think about here, it would be oct/ nov when we go and we need to do the camper van bit so it gets paid for...
Dh dives so would be keen to get a chance to do that but has already been to gbr, n will be 6 months ish and t nearly 3 so there needs to be stuff for them. What will the weather be like in either place? I am quite warming to nz but at's not really based on anything, I guess I need to look in the lonely planet...
Camper thanks for the offer, it would be great to get some recommendations from a local if we choose oz. maybe we could meet up?
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Return to The Great Outdoors