Eeek!

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Eeek!

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 10 May 2012, 12:57

We're going camping at half term. It'll be the first time with all three children. Camping doesn't scare me, have done it loads. Camping with the girls doesn't scare me. But camping with a baby? A non-sleeping baby? Eeeeeek!

When we discussed all this, DH said he didn't want to camp while the boy is so little (we'd camped when M was about 5 months old and to be completely honest it was a ******g disaster. She didn't sleep for 8 days and nights). Anyway, I'd been really flippant about it all, pointed out that he's a different child blah blah and that it would all be fine and that if we didn't go we'd have no holiday just the 5 of us. So he reluctantly agreed. Campsite booked, deposit paid....and I am having major cold feet, I was thinking about this in bed at 4am this morning when I was up with the boy AGAIN.

The problem is that when he wakes, I bring him into bed and then feed/sleep with him; I'm half sitting because I can't feed lying down. I guess I need to learn how to feed lying down quite quickly!

So that's the next question: co-sleeping in a tent. How do you do it? The obvious thing would be to use our self inflating mat, and then he could sleep next to me. But it is massive, and takes up space that we don't really have in the car and it isn't all that comfortable on my worn out hips. We have a double airbed that we were planning to take for DH and I, but I can't imagine that working very well if the boy has to join us. I guess DH could get another bed of some description.

You could tell me that all the fresh air will wear the boy out and that he'll sleep all night. But I know you'd be lying to me :D

Help! Getting bogged down and now nervous about the trip!
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Re: Eeek!

Postby ToothFairy » 10 May 2012, 13:00

I co-sleep with Elsie when we go camping. We have a double airbed and double sleeping bag that we share. DP has a single airbed and sleeping bag, so does Martha, and Dilly has a sleeping bag on his ready bed.

I think you definitely need to practice feeding lying down!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 10 May 2012, 13:16

TF, you're right of course, I do need to practice feeding lying down. And I need to tell DH that he's probably going to need his own bed, don't think he'll be impressed with that!
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Fozza » 10 May 2012, 13:23

Can you have a couple of nights on the air bed at home as a warm up?
A festivals you can get these inflatable triangles you can sit up against...may be worth investing in one if you can't lay down and feed. may be available on line...I'll have a look later.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Morlyte » 10 May 2012, 13:48

I co-sleep on a 5cm double self inflating mat and I take the sheep skin for the baby to lie on, he has his baby Vango sleeping bag and I have my regular one. DP and Joe sleep next to us on single self inflating mats.

You must practice feeding lying down, its very easy once you get used to it and now that little man is a bit older, it will be easier for him to latch himself on with practice.

Im going to be honest and say, camping made Noah sleep LESS for the first 2 nights but then he settled.
Morlyte

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 10 May 2012, 15:17

Morlyte, how does the baby sleeping bag work? The boy doesn't wriggle too much in his sleep, but I'd worry about him ending up at the bottom of the bag. actually, that question could go to ToothFairy too. I'd just planned to put him in his normal grobag with extra layers/blankets as required.

Must get this feeding lying down thing cracked. Never managed it with M, but did with A and it was great.

FOZzy, inflatable triangles sound interesting, not sure I've ever seen one!
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Morlyte » 10 May 2012, 15:20

I put him in it then fold the extra bits underneath him, Noah was 4 months when he first in it and the last time he used it he was 7 months and was a bit wriggly but never ended up at the bottom of the bag.
Morlyte

Postby MumtoMonsters » 10 May 2012, 16:21

I've got a 2.5 tog dreambag (other brand grobag) if you want it? We bought it for G when we went camping last year. It's 18 - 36 months, but has additional poppers at the bottom so you can shorten the length. We only used it once (on a cold wet August bank holiday weekend) and G was definitely warm enough. He's got a proper sleeping bag now so you're welcome to it if you want.

As for waking in the night, G's biggest problem last weekend was that it was too light. We were on a big commercial campsite and the streetlights were left on. When he woke he could see us, and that made being awake far more interesting than being asleep!
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby Fozza » 10 May 2012, 18:44

Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 14 May 2012, 20:52

MtM - thanks for the offer, but we have loads of sleeping bags, thanks. It's just trying to work out the best combination of layers and blankets that's tricky.

FOZzy - ah! That's what you mean. Will bear that in mind thanks.

I did manage to feed him lying down the other night, but when I got up in the morning my back was killing me and frozen, I think it's lying in one position all night that did it. Soon wore off but couldn't move very easily for a while! But at leat I managed it.
gingerbreadhouse

Return to The Great Outdoors