Glastonbury?

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Glastonbury?

Postby monkeydo » 03 May 2012, 09:04

Not sure if this technically counts as great outdoors but still...

We fancy Glasto next year for my sister's birthday, we've done many festivals but never glastonbury and never with a baby (who will be 14 months)

Is it doable/enjoyable/awful?
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Re: Glastonbury?

Postby sparkling » 03 May 2012, 10:52

Toothfairy has done it and enjoyed it, I'm sure she'll be by soon!
sparkling

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 03 May 2012, 14:28

I've been three times pre-baby. It's an amazing festival, even in the rain. It's just so huge. It seemed to take an hour to walk anywhere and trying to move through a sea of people between stages is impossible. If its raining and muddy it can be pretty tiring as there isn't really anywhere to sit down. On the plus side, everyone is pretty friendly and chatty and there is a real community feel. In the last few years (still pre-baby) we definitely preferred smaller festivals. Much less exhausting.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby ToothFairy » 03 May 2012, 19:36

I've done Glasto with children of all ages, ranging from 7 weeks up to 12! There are two enormous, and free, children's areas. 14 months is a bit of a difficult age - too little to really get into all the kids stuff, but too big to be portable enough to just fit in with you.

Crumpetsmum is right, Glastonbury is enormous. Welsh Rarebit has worked there, so may pop along with some stats! You need to think seriously about transport. Last year Elsie was about 14 months, and we used a combination of slings/wraps and a bike trailer for transporting the kids. It takes at least an hour to get anywhere, longer if it's muddy. You won't see all the bands you want to, probably not even half of them! We're usually happy if we see two a day!

There is an NCT tent in the Kidz Field, which has nappy changing facilities, and does baby bath time every evening! They have comfy sofas for feeding, and bring you free cups of tea.

It's definitely doable, and it is enjoyable, but it's a completely different festival when you take a baby with you. We may well end up going to, so could have a mini BLW meet!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby LentilWeaver » 16 Oct 2012, 22:12

Good to read this, we got tickets last weekend and are wondering whether it's the very definition of insanity! Though I'm well aware plenty of people take their lil munchkins, I'm still wondering how a 16 month old will fare, especially if it's a muddy one, and soooo cold at night last year. Hmmmm.
LentilWeaver

Postby ToothFairy » 17 Oct 2012, 06:32

We got tickets too, after a last minute decision to go for them.

Take full on waterproofs for the rain/mud, and fleece sleepsuiuts for night time. You and your little one will have a fab time. See you by the pink castle in the kidz field :wink:
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby twilightfan » 17 Oct 2012, 06:51

Doing Glastonbury with all that mud & a tent is my idea of hell & that's without kids! I've done glasto with mud twice & once without & I know which one I prefer. I guess I'm just not as hardcore as TF or WR, both of whom seem to love it! :)
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Return to The Great Outdoors