Favourite campsites

Campers, festi-heads, hikers, even spelunkers... all welcome here. No fresh air activity too hearty, no fold-up product too desirable.

Re: Favourite campsites

Postby Morlyte » 15 Jul 2013, 13:37

Nixxie, did you say you HOOVERED you tent?? :D

We go to a couple with swimming pools in Suffolk. Orwell Meadows, small but ince with a pool, clubhouse and kids play area. Carlton Meres is another, this has a pool, play area and clubhouse too.
Morlyte

Postby Aitch » 29 Jul 2013, 13:59

that was exactly it, Spanner, it was packed out like Glasto and there were so many RULES. but the river was nice (packed, also) and the pubs were really lovely. i just don't like that corporate hippy vibe, i think. plus, 30 duke of edder girls in the loos didn't help. leave only footprints, take only memories... baws.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby Morlyte » 12 Aug 2013, 19:40

Al time new favourite campsite in Suffolk is The Orchard Campsite in Wickham Market. We spent 3 nights there (with hook up for dh's electric fag), but considering without next time so we can get in the wooded bit), it was totally lovely. The site is small enough for Joe to go off and play on the playground/tree swing without us being by his side because we could see him from the tent, campfires encouraged and a glow stick scavenge for the kids on a Wednesday and Saturday night. Theres a shop, washrooms, showers, loos, fridges and freezers, microwave, kettles, battery charging all included in the price of £22 per night with hook up and £18 without. In fact the only thing you pay for is stuff from the shop, the logs to burn and use of the washing machine. No extras for children, awnings, dogs or cars. Oh and it has a fishing lake and a hot tub for hire (although we didn't haha). REALLY friendly site and the shop is by far much cheaper than the supermarkets. We will go for a full week next year and then a second long weekend.
Morlyte

Postby monkeydo » 13 Aug 2013, 19:51

We've just come back from Humble Bee Farm near Scarborough and it was lovely. Well maintained site, nice little playground where all the kids congregated, a few chickens/ducks/goats to feed.

The owners have regular events on (bat walk/owl walk/nature rambles).

There was a fish and chip van twice a week, and cooked breakfast BBQ four times a week.

Firepits delivered at 5pm each evening and collected again in the morning (I think they were £10 a pop, we didn't bother)

Would definitely return.

Only downside for us was that the non-EHU field was a bit slopey.
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 17 Aug 2013, 07:42

Morlyte, we liked the Orchard when we went last year, but the fact that there weren't dedicated fire pits put me off a bit as we had to pitch our tent in heaps of ash!

My new favourite site is The Secret Campsite in East Susses, near Lewes. We got back on Thursday, had been there 6 days. Was lovely - no cars allowed on the site and loads of wild bits so the children had a fantastic time exploring and were safe to do so. Best bits? Dedicated fire pits :D, really friendly owners, *never* any queues for toilets or showers. Downside was that it was a little bit more expensive than other places we've been to.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Morlyte » 17 Aug 2013, 12:00

Fullhouse wrote:Morlyte, we liked the Orchard when we went last year, but the fact that there weren't dedicated fire pits put me off a bit as we had to pitch our tent in heaps of ash!

I saw there were several dotted around but we managed to pitch our enormous tent without hitting a firepit, although our gazebo had one in the corner which was a bugger.
Morlyte

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 17 Aug 2013, 20:44

I forgot to say that while we were camping, we got to see the meteor shower. It was fab - the campsite has very little light pollution and the shooting stars were absolutely fantastic. Sitting by the fire, drinking beer with friends watching the stars and putting the world to rights :D :D
gingerbreadhouse

Postby Disco » 17 Aug 2013, 21:08

<very jealous> sounds lovely. :) We'e not managed to camp this summer. I'm annoyed because DP always backs out when we get close. I miss it. :(
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby Morlyte » 18 Aug 2013, 05:37

Fullhouse wrote:Morlyte, we liked the Orchard when we went last year, but the fact that there weren't dedicated fire pits put me off a bit as we had to pitch our tent in heaps of ash!

My new favourite site is The Secret Campsite in East Susses, near Lewes. We got back on Thursday, had been there 6 days. Was lovely - no cars allowed on the site and loads of wild bits so the children had a fantastic time exploring and were safe to do so. Best bits? Dedicated fire pits :D, really friendly owners, *never* any queues for toilets or showers. Downside was that it was a little bit more expensive than other places we've been to.

FH, how did you find the lugging your stuff across the site to the pitch? I think that is one part that might put dh off but Ive just looked at the site and it looks awesome.
Morlyte

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 18 Aug 2013, 07:22

They have loads of trolleys and wheelbarrows that you can use, and the owners are incredibly helpful and will push a loaded trolley or two. The main car park is well away from the site, but they have a smaller area slightly closer where you are allowed to park your car on arrival/departure days. Having said that, it didn't seem too much trouble the day we arrived but the day we left it was more tedious. Definitely worth it for the no cars on site rule though.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby SharkiesMum » 03 Sep 2013, 21:10

Has anyone been to any good campsites in Cornwall? Preferably with decent facilities - it will be DH's second time camping and DS's first, and I want them both to love it so we can do it again!
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby ToothFairy » 03 Sep 2013, 21:31

We stayed here last week. It was lovely, really peaceful. The owners were lovely, really helpful, gave us a great beach recommendation. Facilities were great, nice hot showers.

A few years ago we stayed here Really lovely beach only 10/15 minutes walk away, with a lovely restaurant at the end if it.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby SharkiesMum » 04 Sep 2013, 20:56

Thanks, the beachside one looks great, am going to contact them to see if they have any vacancies. Yay!
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Spanner » 04 Sep 2013, 21:56

It's not exactly camping but we had a nice week here over the summer and there are lots of other sites available...
http://france.huttopia.com/en/destinati ... illet/site
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby camper » 05 Sep 2013, 21:28

I know this is a bit irrelevant to most of you, but I'm really excited. We're off to one of our favourite campsites for the weekend. Hurrah!
camper

PreviousNext

Return to The Great Outdoors