Is it too early for Xmas

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Is it too early for Xmas

Postby catie_lou » 11 Sep 2015, 14:46

I have just got G his advent calender. It is a lego one. I tried to get one in Nov last year and all the stores had sold out and the online auction site was selling them at twice the price.

Have any of you started yet?
catie_lou

Re: Is it too early for Xmas

Postby LucyLastic » 11 Sep 2015, 14:52

I've got C a Playmobil rockband set which was down from £50 to £15 in Argos, but that was just a random buy rather than a determined effort to start Christmas shopping!
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby pirate_han » 11 Sep 2015, 17:32

Yep! Christmas obsessive here. I have B's advent calendar - she loved her Playmobil one last year and I saw them half price so picked one up. I got her a couple of games that were on offer at the supermarket and got her main present (a Kiddizoom camera) on offer at Boots with double points. A is having the Little Tikes Activity Garden and I'm waiting for the Smyths toy weekend to get that, but I picked up the add-on plant bit for his birthday in January on Amazon reduced from £40 to £16.

We made jam (plum and apple and blackberry) today for the grandparents hampers and I need to make the chutney for them too soon.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Treeb » 11 Sep 2015, 18:02

Does anyone have good ideas for a baby who will be 6.5 months at Christmas? She obviously won't know what is going on, but I'd like to have at least a few small things for her. Only thing I can think of so far is new sippy cups. I forget what they can actually play with at that age!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby pirate_han » 11 Sep 2015, 18:56

A is 7 months and he loves:

- emptying things out of baskets/bags (so maybe a treasure basket?)
- anything shiny, he's like a magpie
- 'That's Not My...' books or touchy feely books in general
- musical toys (bells/shakers are favourites here)
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby sabrina fair » 11 Sep 2015, 19:00

Yes, it is.

;-)
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby yorkshirepudding » 11 Sep 2015, 19:10

Treeb, I'm just going to wrap up Moo's old toys for E, so that he doesn't think she's been forgotten! I suppose I will get her a couple of things but probably clothes. Going to ask family for vouchers and a family pass for a local park or farm as a joint present. And will maybe make a Christmas sensory basket, thanks for the reminder p_h :)
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby yorkshirepudding » 11 Sep 2015, 19:13

I've also got a couple of Moos presents already, have to work out his 23rd Dec birthday and Christmas awkwardness! Feeling jealous of others' abilities to find bargain toys already. Did get him a £10 rubbish truck in Morrisons, it is far too big, he will love it!
Mummy to my little Christmas pudding, Moo, December 2012 and a summer pudding, baby E born June 2015
yorkshirepudding

Postby Tintin » 11 Sep 2015, 19:34

I sat last night and planned the month's Advent Activities. :D
Planning to get a Playmobil advent calendar soon, because like c_l when I tried last year, there were none left.
Really really struggling for present ideas though, so getting stressed about that - with baby due in January (and therefore potentially it could come even before Christmas!) I want everything sorted as far in advance as possible. I'm really not relishing the thought of going Christmas shopping at 8 months pregnant!
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby pirate_han » 11 Sep 2015, 19:47

Tintin - if you struggle with a Playmobil calendar they are always in the Boots 3 for 2. If you have anything else you need at Boots it makes it a little cheaper!
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby lizandimo » 12 Sep 2015, 03:27

I've pinned loads of Christmas crafts and things on Pinterest. That counts as Christmas prep, right?

Are the Playmobile calendars the same kind of idea as the Lego ones? I've seen the Lego ones, but I think DD is still a bit young for the little Lego yet. Do you reckon you could re-use them (maybe I'm being really cheap)?
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Kitcameron » 12 Sep 2015, 07:36

We bought the playmobil nativity scene instead of the actual advent calendars with the idea that wed re-wrap the pieces each year and they could build the nativity scene. It's more expensive in the short term but hoping I get away without buying new things every year. Also, I'll have to buy the Kings this year as they don't come with the set for some reason.

CM was 6 months last Christmas and we got her a 4-1 trike (ready for use before her bday). She also got sensory shapes, new stacking cups, clothes, a beanbag (but early but she loves it now lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 12 Sep 2015, 09:58

sabrina fair wrote:Yes, it is.

;-)

I'm with SF! :)
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Lily » 12 Sep 2015, 16:09

We're also struggling a bit for ideas for Bee. She doesn't have any of her own toys yet apart from loads of teddies (why do people buy teddies for newborns who have zero interest in them?). So I guess anything that's not a hand-me-down will do her!

Izbiz will get a pedal bike. He has asked for purple so I need to research brands. And I think we'll request Lego from the GPs - wheels and other assorted vehicle parts, and windows/doors/roof tiles etc.

I found a nice fabric advent calendar at Hobbycraft last year, and a little wooden tree with 24 tiny decorations at Paperchase. So just need to decide whether I'm feeling strong enough to come up with other things to go in the pockets as well as just the decorations.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby pirate_han » 22 Sep 2015, 13:21

Playmobil unicorn and dragon calendars back to just under £10 on Amazon for those who were interested (and don't mind Amazon!).
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Next

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays