40th birthday gift inspiration please

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

40th birthday gift inspiration please

Postby Cofa's Tree » 05 Sep 2015, 14:50

I need ideas (for my birthday!) and thought I'd pick the creative brains on here.

I'm 40 in December and I'm already being asked what I'd like by family members and I'm a bit stuck. I'll be about 5-3 weeks after giving birth, so nothing that involves leaving the house and would like something that people can add to, for around £15 up to £30 (my birthday is three days before Christmas, so if I decide, it could be a joint birthday and Christmas present). I wondered about the Pandora bracelet and charms, but having looked on Amazon, I'm not really convinced by them...they feel a bit gimmicky/ mass-markety, although I've not actually seen them in real life to make that judgement, but it has the advantage that family could pick from a range of 'charms' that I'd selected.

So, is there anything else anyone can think of that would work in a similar way, that family could buy parts of which would contribute towards one overall item? It doesn't have to be a bracelet (I don't actually wear much jewellery these days) and I'm not really fixed in one direction...just a bit stuck for inspiration.

I'm off to browse Etsy and Not On The High Street...
Cofa's Tree

Re: 40th birthday gift inspiration please

Postby mamapup » 05 Sep 2015, 17:53

Corn Snake?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Cofa's Tree » 05 Sep 2015, 18:49

Ha, ha, ha... No.
Cofa's Tree

Postby mindy » 05 Sep 2015, 19:51

mamapup wrote:Corn Snake?

Hee hee!

I was given a kindle for my 40th, which has really come into its own with nighttime feeding.

Or a contribution to some hand/footprint jewellery from Maria....

Or money towards a video camera to record D and the baby as they grow up.....
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Cofa's Tree » 06 Sep 2015, 07:08

I'm planning on making use of Maria's services next year for something family-related :)
Cofa's Tree

Postby Marrow » 06 Sep 2015, 08:26

Is there a hobby you've always wanted to take up? Crafty / musical / sporting / reptile keeping... Something for just you? You could ask people to each buy a little bit of your starter's kit?
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby EnigmaFish » 08 Sep 2015, 23:06

On the topic of charm bracelets, have you heard of Nomination bracelets? I have one. They're low-profile, so great if you're not a big jewellery person. They're stainless steel based, so very hard wearing. And the charms can be expensive or not, depending on your tastes.
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Postby Raktajino » 09 Sep 2015, 15:44

I'm just going to leave my etsy shop link here :)
www.BowBeanie.etsy.com
If your DS has started drawing, I could make you a lovely keepsake...
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby Cofa's Tree » 10 Sep 2015, 05:39

I've eyed up your lovely work Raktajino too, but unfortunately his artistic skills are limited to a line or the occasional circle at the moment, rather than something identifiable and treasurable!

Thank EF, I'll take a look at nomination bracelets, not heard of them.

No hobbies are springing to mind at the moment Marron (definitely not reptile keeping thanks :) ) - I merrily jumped into crocheting about two years ago and the hooks and books are now just gathering dust... I think the 'me' side of things has been a bit buried under being a mum, so maybe I need to dig her back out a bit and see what this new 40 year old woman is all about.
Cofa's Tree

Postby Raktajino » 10 Sep 2015, 17:33

No worries!
Its horrible trying to come up with gift ideas for yourself. My birthday is next month and I've told dh I would like a slow cooker! I can't think of anything I want just for me!
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby Kitcameron » 12 Sep 2015, 17:43

I was going to suggest a nominations bracelet too. I have one and we bought MIL one as a 50th birthday present so all family could buy a link to go on it but they're all tight fisted Yorkshire men and said they were too expensive (£13??? For a 50th birthday present???)
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays