Christmas Family/In-Law Vent Thread 2014

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Re: Christmas Family/In-Law Vent Thread 2014

Postby emzit » 25 Dec 2014, 03:59

Another little grr at my mum, who is in muncher's face all the time trying to cajole him into doing what she wants when he is overtired and just wants to be left to play with his toys. Even when he is happy playing she tries to interrupt and he gets cross and yells at her.

She is also trying to run things to her schedule so she has just brought squish to the tree to open presents when it is completely not the right time to, and also, he's MY son, it's his first Christmas, and I will bloody well help him open them, not you.

And also my brother gets a moan too - we do secret Santa with a list of present ideas. I asked for a cookie embosser and a voucher from a local department store or cash to go to a bag I'm having made. I got a voucher for somewhere I've never been, no interest in going to and $10 towards my cookie embosser. I mean, wtaf? I feel a bit upset about it which is stupid, but really? How hard is it to get right?
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Kanga » 25 Dec 2014, 06:48

emzit wrote:Another little grr at my mum, who is in muncher's face all the time trying to cajole him into doing what she wants when he is overtired and just wants to be left to play with his toys. Even when he is happy playing she tries to interrupt and he gets cross and yells at her.

Seriously?! My 6 year old behaves like that, I wouldn't expect it from an adult!!

This thread does remind me how lucky I am despite little grumbles I may have about our parents.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby emzit » 25 Dec 2014, 07:46

Not literally in his face, but she badgers him a lot. He was playing really happily with the toy he got from my brother and she got the (reasonably inappropriate) cricket bat and ball she gave him and started tapping the ball to him along the floor. So he was annoyed that she interrupted him and then he saw she had his toy which made him madder. So I had to tell her to back off an be the grumpy mummy spoiling Nanna's fun. Happens all the time. I really want to talk to her about respecting his play space but I don't think she'll listen or act on it so I haven't bothered.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Feefielou » 25 Dec 2014, 18:15

Good gracious. This thread certainly helps me to feel I'm not alone! We are at the in-laws' in Panama. 18 hour journey here with Moonbeam who turned 1 last week was pretty epic. She learned to walk in Amsterdam airport and then tried to practice her new skill for the entire Amsterdam-Panama flight. First night here, everyone and their mother decided to visit when we all just needed to sleep. Which did not happen because a burglar alarm across the street went off at 11.30pm and did not stop until 10 the next day. Moonbeam thought it was morning at 3am and would not go back to sleep so we played for four hours. Not a good start. PILs are, of course, spoiling her rotten which is to be expected when they hardly see her but a full on birthday party with mounds of presents, zillions of guests who we don't even know, a sticky sweet cake and a piñata outside in the blazing tropical heat was a bit too much for our jetlag to cope with the day after we arrived. I shouldn't complain, it is all very well intentioned and done with love but it's a bit grotesque really. Between birthday and Christmas gifts she has so many we simply won't be able to fit them in our suitcases to fly home so we are going to end up offending everyone by leaving things behind or donating them.

On the whole, PILs are keeping in my good books (although I would kill for a vegetable) but siblings in law and their other halves.... I could fill several pages. Let us just say, I am learning important lessons about how I do or do not wish to raise my children.

Finally, I discovered the day before yesterday that I am pregnant. Hurrah! But I do wish MIL would stop stroking my belly. It would be bad enough if I were far along and huge but I am not even five weeks! Deep breath. Only another week and a half to go.
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby pirate_han » 25 Dec 2014, 19:21

Congratulations feefielou! Sympathies on the stroking front; I have an uncle who has no idea of personal boundaries and is all over my bump. Awful.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby t&n's mummy » 25 Dec 2014, 19:48

Ooo yay congratulations! :( on the rest and the stroking is driving me bonkers too but yay!
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby FestiveTidings » 25 Dec 2014, 20:24

Oh what a lovely Christmas present Feefielou!

Well I did get back to sleep only to be woken at 4:40 by the boys snoring (yes, both of them) so I lay in bed and read 50 shades on my kindle app!

My much not looked forward to Christmas with SIL has actually turned out to be pretty pleasant. A few early moments of teeth grinding but then everyone pretty much found their groove and we have done our best to all chip in to stop poorly MIL from doing too much. SIL has also quite happily engaged with both boys, even cuddling Roo in to watch TV.. Surprised? Me? Very!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Feefielou » 25 Dec 2014, 21:49

Oh, I like a story with a happy ending! Good one, FT!
Brit living in France/Switzerland, Mum to Moonbeam born December 2013, Lentil born August 2015.
Feefielou

Postby mamapup » 25 Dec 2014, 22:08

Congratulations fiefielou!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby mindy » 25 Dec 2014, 23:33

Oh Feefielou, that's wonderful news - happy Christmas!
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Dec 2014, 15:25

Woooo merry Christmas ffl.

I love trading this thread. Sorry to hear so many if you are having such an irritating Christmas, my only gripe is that I told SM she wasn't allowed any chocolate as she'd already had some yesterday and she had a strop about it and after she'd stopped and accepted it MIL told her if she brought her the box of chocs Id probably let her have one. I said no I still want let her have one til after dinner, which is what I'd originally said. Cue another strop.

Other than that we're doing ok. You all make me very thankful for the family I have.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Brigitte » 27 Dec 2014, 09:08

I won't lie, I love reading this thread every year. It does make me grateful, as others have said. I think I have mastered the art of utterly not caring what others say about my children's eating habits, so that's lovely!

Just a silly thing: FIL got DD a puzzle for Christmas, which she loves and we love and it's wonderful. Today he kept trying to entice her to do the puzzle "for" him despite the fact that she was busy with something else. So he kept "trying" to do it himself and feigning failure in hopes that she would come over and do it for him. She instead chose to say, "It's okay, just try again! You can do it!" and then ran off doing her own thing without taking the bait. It was hilarious, and even FIL had to laugh at it.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Treeb » 27 Dec 2014, 12:55

Brigitte, I love your DD's response to your FIL!

I really am pretty lucky with my PIL, but they still make me want to whine and complain sometimes, and staying here for two weeks it's a bit much! My main issues with them are just their totally different food choices, the tv being on all the time, and little things like that. They also always seem to plan things for L's nap time and expect us to just wake him up or have him skip it all together (while saying they remember having kids and know how important sleep is.) But they never push L when he doesn't want to do something, they (mostly) respect our boundaries with sweets, and they never seem to judge our parenting even though I think they did things very differently themselves.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby RedRum » 27 Dec 2014, 13:48

Hope you all survived! I'm feeling pretty chilled out, first Christmas ever with no parents or inlaws. 10 min skype with my mum on Christmas Day, texted my sister happy Christmas but she hadn't bothered to reply. So peaceful! Im sure we'll be back in the thick of it next year, but perhaps not... I think DH missed being with his family, but a small price to pay for escaping mine!
Mama to R (2007) and J (2015)
RedRum

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 27 Dec 2014, 13:50

Congratulations FFL!!! Awesome news!

Still at the in-laws. 24 hours to go. It's been interesting. A few skirmishes but nothing explosive!

I've had some interesting chats with my nephew about his beliefs (he's very spiritual which my in laws in particular don't /won't understand and can be dismissive and rude about ) and made some quite pointed comments knowing thry could hear and hoping they would think about and stop trying to control him into living a "normal " life. Live and let live. That's my motto!! Still, some of the things he was saying made me sad for him as he feels very isolated and misunderstood by the family. And his marriage is probably going to end, which also won't go down well!!

I'm also sick of the girls being constantly gone on at during mealtimes. Sat between mil and gil, they haven't stood a chance. Being told they must finish their plates or no pudding, do they want crisps instead, eat up (while still on the last mouthful ) and me too far away to step in. At least uncle told gil to stop it as they weren't her children! It worked for about 3 minutes !!!!!

I'm peopled out though so am hiding in my room drying my hair (whilst writing this), ironing and tidying.

(((())))) to those who need them.
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

PreviousNext

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays