Advent Activities 2014 - what did you do?

Oh look, it's broadly a place to talk about special occasions, party tips and to swap present ideas but let's be perfectly honest, this forum is here because I want to get excited about CHRIIIIIISTMAS from about June onwards.

Re: Advent Activities 2014 - what did you do?

Postby sabrina fair » 12 Dec 2014, 19:53

Treeb wrote:We did pipe cleaner/bead ornaments yesterday after someone else had mentioned it further up thread. L (2y 3m) was able to thread the beads on perfectly easily, but he lost interest after just one ornament!

That was me! They're great, aren't they? Definite hit here.

We've done Christmas colouring and the little Christmas train in town.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby Kanga » 12 Dec 2014, 20:02

We had Christmas stickers yesterday hitch they loved & Christmas activity books today which they weren't so keen on!

Dh is taking dd to the cinema tomorrow so ds & I will probably watch a Christmas DVD and Sunday is decorating Christmas cakes.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby emzit » 13 Dec 2014, 12:40

Muncher is loving the advent activities. It's been such a big hit, I need to keep going with it I think. A bit more flexible but I want to try to do something on all the days I have him.

Yesterday we decorated a couple of gingerbread trees we got from ikea and today we had Christmas lunch with my sister so he helped her finish decorating her tree. Tomorrow we are making biscuits to give to my work and childcare and a few friends and neighbours.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 13 Dec 2014, 20:55

Our painted footprint Christmas tree was fab :) . Now hung up in the living room. We've also had paperchains (not really interested), Christmas sticker books (last years got out again for Wriggles, and his previous year one - which also made an appearance last year - for Baby Girl to destroy) which are always successful and tree decorating today.

We've got a local Christmas carol concert tomorrow which I have friends singing / playing in so hoping I get to go rather than DH but as we're currently in major Daddy phase I may get usurped.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Kitcameron » 13 Dec 2014, 21:07

I'm loving reading all these but sort of thought Dds would be too young for this before Advent, now I'm seeing there's loads of stuff we could do. Saving up ideas though and will definitely be doing it next year. We don't really have a lot if time though tbh either as we're generally out all morning and they both sleep after lunch til 4ish. By next Christmas I'm sure dd1 will have dropped her nap so we could do something when dd2 is having her nap and she could join in with something easy at some point too.

On the other hand we have made gingerbread stars and men, had hot chocolate, been to a Christmas Party and decorated the tree. We could sneak some more in before Christmas. We need to decorate the gingerbread, watch Polar Express and Muppets Christmas Carol and we could make play dough christmas shapes, the pipe cleaner ornaments (under careful supervision to make sure she doesn't eat the beads) and possibly some painting (scary thought)

I don't think she understands Christmas at all though, is that strange aged 2years 3 months? I'm not sure she even really knows there's anything going on yet apart from some out of the ordinary things like Christmas party and Christmas tree.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 13 Dec 2014, 21:14

I don't think it's strange KC. TheBean knows *something* is going on, but I don't think he has any idea what. He's taking his cues from TheWriggler so acting like he knows what's going on, but I'm fairly sure he's just winging it :-)
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Kitcameron » 13 Dec 2014, 21:28

Lol, love the idea of him swaggering round with a "yeah I know what's going on, no big deal" look on his face
Kitcameron

Postby lizandimo » 13 Dec 2014, 21:44

My DD (2y 1m) has no idea either! She likes the lights but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know why they're there and she does not like Santa!

I wish I had been organized enough to do advent activities properly this year too, but I kind of thought DD was too young and without someone to remind me I would probably forget each day! We have done a few Christmas themed baking projects (first time for DD and she's loving it, goes to get a chair to stand on whenever I'm in the kitchen now!) and a couple of Christmas crafts. Went to a Christmas fair, built DD's first snowman (tiny thing because the snow was too dry) and took some Christmassy photos for the December of my photo calendar.

Like you KC I think I will have to remember this for next year, way more fun than a chocolate a day!
DD - Nov '12
lizandimo

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 13 Dec 2014, 21:59

That is basically it! Whenever I try to take a photo of him he points his fingers at me and shouts "cool!" And he shouts "Christmas!" whenever he sees Santa...
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby catie_lou » 14 Dec 2014, 09:36

G didn't get it till he was about 4, but activity today is christmas tree shopping yey
catie_lou

Postby qbm » 14 Dec 2014, 10:34

I did it last year when SG was nearly 2.5 - she enjoyed it but it turned out to be more of a trial run for me to see how to organise it in the future (ie how to not make an arse of it this year)! :)

Am I the only person then whose child couldn't be bothered with bead and pipe cleaner decorations?! To be fair, when we got out to her art table all she wanted to do was play with the Christmas tree playdough so technically it was down to that activity being so successful... Ahem...
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby A_W » 15 Dec 2014, 17:57

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/childrens-binarystore/cbeebies/CBeebies_Grown_ups_Christmas_Planner_2014.pdf

Here's the link to cbeebies Christmas specials in case any of your's are flagging like mine (and me!)...
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby nearlymumtobabyfk » 15 Dec 2014, 18:29

Ooh nice work a_w!!
Mum to A, 2010, and R, 2015
nearlymumtobabyfk

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 15 Dec 2014, 19:16

Thanks AW! The pantos are a bit hit in our house. We had them recorded but lost them after the Lightning strike killed all our electricals. I'll have to set the recorder again this year.

I got a bit distracted by chatting rather than updating what we did:

Day 11: we were supposed to watch the snowman but we didn't do that. I was rescued by TheWriggler's school Christmas play and both boys dressed as Santa.

Day 12: festive stories. We are actually reading these most nights anyway, but they accept it as an activity too.

Day 13: live nativity organised by our local church and shopkeepers. It is fab, TheBean got a go on the donkey!

Day 14: Leeds castle Christmas fair with friends. We spent most of the time in the fairground and didn't actually do anything festive, apart from glance at some sleeping reindeer occasionally.

Day 15: today we decorated Christmas biscuits for the teachers. I have learned the hard way that I just can't bake biscuits with kids around...
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Kitcameron » 15 Dec 2014, 22:21

I did one! I did one!!!

SM and I made a playdoh christmas tree and decorated it.

(Ok, bad mummy, I cut out the tree and made baubles and tinsel etc whilst she was distracted showing Daddy something and then she decorated the tree. I just couldn't cope with her 'doing it all wrong' lol. So much for baby/toddler led hey. I did let her just play with the playdoh though after I'd taken photos of the tree and she did enjoy it, even if it tookm all of about a minute lol. We also made multi coloured stars, they're christmassy right?)
Kitcameron

PreviousNext

Return to Christmas/Birthdays/High Days and Holidays